Weight lifting for women

Options
Hi I just wondered if any one could please recommend a weight lifting book with routines in? At the moment I sort of just do my own thing but I really want to get more serious

Replies

• amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Hi I just wondered if any one could please recommend a weight lifting book with routines in? At the moment I sort of just do my own thing but I really want to get more serious
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When my wife got back into weight lifting, she started with New Rules of Lifting for Women. The program is pretty good, but the read really can help a novice lifter understand what they are doing and why they are doing it. After she ran that, she did Strong Curves. She dabbled a bit initially with me doing Starting Strength, but she found the program to be boring and didn't hold her interest.

Really, it depends more on what you want to get out of a program...lifting isn't really gender specific.
  • amioc
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When my wife got back into weight lifting, she started with New Rules of Lifting for Women. The program is pretty good, but the read really can help a novice lifter understand what they are doing and why they are doing it. After she ran that, she did Strong Curves. She dabbled a bit initially with me doing Starting Strength, but she found the program to be boring and didn't hold her interest.

Really, it depends more on what you want to get out of a program...lifting isn't really gender specific.

I’ve heard of new rules of lifting. What I really want out of lifting is to gain strength and tone up while loosing the last 10lbs. Thanks for your help 😊
  • zuzanao
    zuzanao Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts-nice,simple compound exercises,3times a week.
  • munda_jamesSWP
    munda_jamesSWP Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Strong lifts (the app) is great for beginners!
    zuzanao wrote: »

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like stronglifts 5x5. There's a website and an app. I've looked at books with different programs, but they were too complicated for me.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Not really a book, but a resource for women's weightlifting: Stumptuous has been around forever, and is excellent:
    https://stumptuous.com/
  • amioc
    Options
    Agreed. Strong lifts (the app) is great for beginners!
    zuzanao wrote: »

Thankyou I’ll have a look now 😊
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves or the New Rules of Lifting (for women or otherwise) are both good programs. Basically any progressive lifting program that appeals to you will work, woman or not.