How to increase calories when I´m done dieting?

Options
So ive been living on 1200 for quite some time now, probably close to 2 years soon. My maintaince is 1500, bmr is around 1200 to 1300. When I eat my maintaince after this long while, i find myself gaining weight very easily for some reason, and I know about water weight, but it dosent seem to be that, I´m not sure, but I feel like my calorie has gone down cuz ive been on this 1200 calorie diet for so long? I´m a bit worried if ive slowed my metabolism, because I have often eaten 700 to 1000 to 1100 calories instead of 1200.

Sooo, I was wondering what I can do about that? I still have more I want to lose, around 10 kg, but when i´m done with this diet, how can I increase my calories? Would for instance increasing calories 50 for each 2 weeks help my body get used to it, or would I then gain my weight back again? For refrences i´m around 157 cm tall and i´m around 54 kg. Thank you so much kind strangers:)<33 hope ur having a lovely day all^^!!!

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Some people, including me, choose to ease into maintenance.

At about 5 pounds (2.25 kg) from goal weight (~127 lbs), I added about 50 calories a day. For about a month, my weight bounced around from 126.5-128 lbs without any clear drop, but then it started dropping again. With my weight trending app (Libra), I could still see a downward trend - weigh-ins we're trending towards lower values even while I was getting no new lows.

I will continue to add 50 calories at a time while losing the last 4 pounds to figure out my maintenance calories and give my body time to adjust.

Also be careful that your final goal weight is within normal BMI, not underweight. Your long term health can suffer if you are underweight.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’m the same size as you, 5”2 and 118. I’d like to get down to 115, the reverse up to 1700-1800. My plan is to add 50 calories every 2 weeks. I’m not comfortable with a big jump so I’m choosing to take it slow and increase my intake very slowly.
  • sweetsal64
    sweetsal64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    At 120 pounds you would need 1680 calories a day (moderately active) to maintain. If you didn't move much at all (extremely sedentary/bedridden), you would need 1200 calories to maintain. You claim that you are about 119 pounds, so I would increase calories from 1200 based on activity level...maybe add 100 calories a week until you find your maintenance level? It is hard to estimate without knowing your activity level. Good luck in maintenance! I'm back after gaining a bit...have only a few more to lose. :)