Tracking and Advice

Options
Started with this category, but maybe more than one category is better for this post.
Let me know.

Can you have MyFitnessPal, or another app, set up targets, track and/or give tips on managing:
  • Type II Diabetes
  • Cholesterol
  • High Blood Pressure
especially, canned setups or guides, where I don't have to research and manually enter everything.
Challenges might be fun too, but I'll primarily be a walker.
I have a computer, phone, and watch, and would like to take advantage of all 3.
Don't mind paying for apps if it's worth it.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well MFP will only give you calories and nutrients as goals. You have to do your own meal planning, and setting those goals. You could have your medical team give you suggestions on setting those goals and then manually adjust them in Goals.

So you would be tracking calories, carbs, fat, protein, then you could also track saturated fat, salt, and any of the pertinent other available nutrients that MFP offers. The foods are going to have to be decided by you and your medical team and it takes educating yourself, there are no pre-planned meal or food choices set up in this program for any medical condition.

You can view FOOD > Settings for the available nutrients.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Just as a small FYI, at the bottom of the FOOD page there is a button that says, "View Full Report (Printable)" click that and there is a default tracking page (nothing on that can be edited.)

This is the list of the nutrients tracked on the printable page:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

So you could pick other ones to track on the regular FOOD page and give yourself up to 13 nutrients tracked daily (between the two pages, toggle back and forth.)

• brettossman2
    brettossman2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks I may well have to plan all this myself. I'm just lazy. LOL
    Well MFP will only give you calories and nutrients as goals. You have to do your own meal planning, and setting those goals. You could have your medical team give you suggestions on setting those goals and then manually adjust them in Goals.

So you would be tracking calories, carbs, fat, protein, then you could also track saturated fat, salt, and any of the pertinent other available nutrients that MFP offers. The foods are going to have to be decided by you and your medical team and it takes educating yourself, there are no pre-planned meal or food choices set up in this program for any medical condition.

Just as a small FYI, at the bottom of the FOOD page there is a button that says, "View Full Report (Printable)" click that and there is a default tracking page (nothing on that can be edited.)

So you could pick other ones to track on the regular FOOD page and give yourself up to 13 nutrients tracked daily (between the two pages, toggle back and forth.)

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks I may well have to plan all this myself. I'm just lazy. LOL

Yes, well - Welcome to the club. :flowerforyou:

If you go to Diabetes.org or to the American Heart Association's site I believe they both have quite a lot of info about food choices. There's plenty of knowledge available. It's safe to assume that pizza with sausage and pepperoni may need to become a, "Very rarely," food for you. I've had to completely change what I eat and how much in order to lose weight and keep it (and my bloodwork) under control.