Making the commitment to turn back time!

Options
Hi, my first post. I've spent the last several weeks getting psyched about making some serious changes in my life. I'm 62 and just retired, and recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm setting up a large open space on the finished attic/third floor of my home, as an exercise area. I bought a weight bench and several dumbbells, a treadmill, yoga mat, jump rope, stepper, etc. I really need to change my way of eating. I'm planning on following Dr. Michael Greger' plan of whole food plant based, his Daily Dozen check list. I will take a couple of "before" pictures, and my measurements, as well as my starting weight. I had knee surgery a week ago so I'm going to have to be careful not to over do it at first. Target date is January 1, 2020! I will post as I go, what I eat, what I'm doing to burn calories, etc. Looking forward to getting started.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!
  • kylieabbot6226
    kylieabbot6226 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brilliant...all the very best. I am starting today too!! Xx
  • CathyRocky
    CathyRocky Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have to go to the grocery store today, first time since surgery. I am determined to buy a few fresh salad vegetables and a carton of unsweetened almond milk, and that's it! The new weight bench is still in the box on my front porch and I will unpack it today. I have no idea how involved the assembly is but my nephew has volunteered to help if I see I need it. Set up will be in the attic. This space is now available for my use because my housemate just moved out. I need to vacuum and do some light cleaning before I start to carry my things up. I slept great last night, which rarely happens. Ok, check in again soon.
  • mn51
    mn51 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Wish you all the best!
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Cathy! I’m also older (60 in another month!) It can be done at this age.

You might want to look into making sure you have adequate protein and healthy fats as a part of your regimen, especially as a Type II diabetic.
    You may be able to lower your glucose readings significantly by reducing overall carbs and substituting veggies instead of the starches. This helped me quite a bit. (Not diabetic, but I had Reactive Hypoglycemia and insidious weight gain over a few decades.)

Congratulations on the start of your journey!
  • CathyRocky
    Options
    Very poor sleep last night so I decided to get out of bed and start my day. I put a large pack of skinless, boneless chicken breast on to cook in the instapot. I'll eat chicken and vegetables for the next couple days, some fresh fruit, I have a sweet potato that I can make, and some brown rice. I can boil a few eggs. Working on my vision board today.
  • Lisanotoriginal
    Lisanotoriginal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi Cathy, I am excited to watch your journey. Similar situation here, just had knee surgery 3 weeks ago. Knee feels great! Weight that was gained over the last 5 months, not so great. I wish I were retired. Working on that too. Time for me to turn back the clock as well! Good luck!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i am 66 and I have had a whole lot more time to work on my body since retirement. Easier also without all the stress that work gives you.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    i am 66 and I have had a whole lot more time to work on my body since retirement. Easier also without all the stress that work gives you.

Very true!
  • annliz23
    Options
    I'm 57 retired have hip, knee and back problems so exercising is not consistent but working on it, good luck folks add me if you want!
  • CathyRocky
    Options
    Hi girls! I think if I lost fifty pounds my knees would be forever grateful, not to mention how happy I would be to get off insulin! Yes, retirement makes it easier! I continue to work on my vision board.
  • annliz23
    Options
    You will get there but it takes time sometimes you will feel like giving up but stay strong and set goal then work towards them31😀