Need Help with a Progression Strategy. Cycling Focus.

Options
pridesabtch
pridesabtch Posts: 2,343 Member
I've been fat and soft, thin and fit and everywhere in between. I have always struggled with goals. I tend to set them too aggressively thinking that anything less is hog wash. I can maintain the crazy demand needed to reach the goal, but as soon as I reach it I back off and counteract all that I've done. The nutrition thing I can handle once I wrap my mind around it, but the exercise is tricky.

I was an athlete and know how to push, but I struggle to know how to start over without feeling like a wuss.

I'm soft and slow right now and weigh well more than I should. I'm not in terrible shape as compared to the average American, but I am not where I want to be. My chosen exercise is cycling, indoor for now as it's cold and wet in WV this time of year. I can still run a couple of miles, but slowly (10:00-11:00 pace as opposed to 7:30PR) and I can still do a 90 minute bike ride outside but at like 14-15 mph flat instead of 18-20 mph with hills. My functional goals are to be able to climb again (slow is ok) by the end of spring.

Thoughts are that I can do 30 - 40 minutes on the bike 5 days a week for a month or so before upping the ante. The problem is it doesn't sound like much of a workout to me. Like if all I do is ride for 30 minutes, does it really do anything for me? The answer I would tell others is "Heck Yeah, as long as you put forth the effort!" What I tell me is "go ahead and do back to back 30 min spin sessions and add in resistance training 2-3 days a week". I feel like that should be reasonable, but at the same time I wouldn't start most people there.

As my username indicates, pride is a problem with me. I was very fit and a very well respected spin instructor and road rider for many years. It's tough for me to accept that I can't do what I could and even worse to think that people will see me, up 50 pounds in 5 years...

What are your thoughts on a good starting place and progression strategy? I can ride at home on the Peloton for classes, the trainer for long rides or outside if its nice, but I really only do resistance training at the gym.

Thanks y'all,
Nikki

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You should be lifting weights, too - not just doing cardio.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    You should be lifting weights, too - not just doing cardio.

Lifting is a big part of my training, once I get going. I'm just looking for a starting balance I can live with. If I don't lift, I'm soft and fluffy. It sucks.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I do cycle for cardio probably 5 times a week - sometimes it is a 40-45 minute group class (about 2-3 times a week) but on strength training days I usually do a 30 minute HIIT type workout on the bike after the strength workout if there is not a group class or I just want a shorter workout. Anyway getting in even 15-30 minutes is worth it to get closer to your goals! I've been trying to focus on improving watts through workouts so sometimes an intense 20 minute workout is just right!

As @MostlyWater suggests, adding in weightlifting is great! (I lift 3 days a week and almost at goal!) Feel free to send me a friend request.

Kudos for getting back up and in the saddle!
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Sounds like you really struggle with comparisons.
    With cycling I’m in a similar place insofar aswattage goes. That means...time for a new (lower ftp test). For you —

I’d retest. That simple. Run a mile, log your time and your HR. Do 3 miles running and the same. Walk if you must; don’t let your ego stop you. Do a 20 min cycling ftp test and log your heart rate. Use these numbers as your own base, watch yourself improve and feel good about it.

It’s like MFP weights. I was once <110 lbs but 140+ when I signed up here. I would haven’t felt good about small accomplishments if I kept comparing myself to my old self and would probably have never lost any weight/whatever.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    FYI, any serious long term athletes all know that many people oscillate on the fitness/weight spectrum. I know the feeling —actually had a guy come up to me at my gym, with all my friends around, and tell me that I “was a lot bigger than before —like, a LOT” (I laughed and told him that he was just as fat as I remembered). And I was in peak f*cking shape then. People are understanding, people are *kitten*, people are not you. Seriously, F ‘em. If you can’t choose to adjust your perspective then reset the framework.