Sodium in raw veg?

Options
I grow silverbeet in my garden. When I enter it in the food diary, it comes up with 185mg of sodium for 100g for raw silverbeet. This seems really high to me. How can a raw vegetable have so much sodium in it?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    According to the New Zealand Food Tables, 100g of spinach has 110mg of sodium, which is still high compared to, say, spinach, which has only 11mg of sodium per 100g. It’s just a naturally high-sodium food.
  • mindoverplatter8
    mindoverplatter8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Is NZ spinach a different plant from normal spinach?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I consulted Dr. Google and it appears that it has at least that much sodium. Most entries of Swiss chard I find on the web have 213 mg of sodium.

Sodium is a naturally occurring mineral that occurs in most foods in varying quantities. It is not simply added to foods via salt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    According to the New Zealand Food Tables, 100g of spinach has 110mg of sodium, which is still high compared to, say, spinach, which has only 11mg of sodium per 100g. It’s just a naturally high-sodium food.

Are you talking raw spinach? The USDA database give 79 mg sodium for 100 g raw spinach.
    Is NZ spinach a different plant from normal spinach?

I don't know about NZ spinach, but Malabar spinach is different. Regular spinach is hard to grow here in Massachusetts - it starts to "bolt" once the hot weather kicks in, and we usually have some unseasonably hot days early, which will ruin the spinach. Malabar spinach is slow to start, but once the summer really gets going it takes off. Must have a big trellis!

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/spinach/malabar-spinach-red-stem-prod500145.html

Climbing Asian vine that loves the summer and will flourish in heat and humidity.

Malabar Spinach or Bassela alba is a vigorous climbing Asian vine, loves the summer and will flourish in heat and humidity. The glossy, thick leaves look like spinach but with mild Swiss chard-like taste. Use the edible fresh leaves in salads or stir-fries. Red vine Malabar spinach is a fast-growing vine that has both ornamental and culinary qualities.

malabar-red-stem.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I grow silverbeet in my garden. When I enter it in the food diary, it comes up with 185mg of sodium for 100g for raw silverbeet. This seems really high to me. How can a raw vegetable have so much sodium in it?

Sodium is an essential and naturally occurring mineral that will be found in most foods. You might want to verify on the USDA website, but that doesn't seem particularly high to me.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Sodium is an essential and naturally occurring mineral that will be found in most foods. You might want to verify on the USDA website, but that doesn't seem particularly high to me.

This!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Duh, I mean silverbeet (Swiss chard) is naturally high in sodium. Spinach is much lower which is odd as they’re fairly similar.
  • mindoverplatter8
    mindoverplatter8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ContraryMary - I didn't know silverbeet and spinach would have such a difference in nutrition. Maybe I'll grow spinach instead....
    Thanks.