Slimming world

Hi all I've only just come back on here after about 5 years. Is anyone following slimming world? How are you getting on?

Replies

• debbsdring
    debbsdring Posts: 11 Member
    Am rejoining tomorrow, itll be my 2nd time going, ive got 2n half stone to lose after gaining it with pregnancy. How are you getting along on tbe plan x
  • katiesalter19
    katiesalter19 Posts: 1 Member
    I have lost 3 stone on slimming world last year as didn’t want to be a chubby bride.. we got married at the beginning of December and I have since fallen off the wagon and gained 7lb over Christmas.. I have now decided to do the plan at home and use the money I’d spend in class each week to join the gym as my youngest is starting playgroup so I will have the time to go in the mornings without having to worry about getting someone to have her or waiting till my the evening when my hubby gets home from work, I did try but being as I work nights I was restricted on what days I could go as would have work.. my goal now is to shift the weight I have gained and a bit more.. mainly though it is to get fit.. good luck with your journey I found slimmingworld easy to follow x
  • dandeliondanica
    dandeliondanica Posts: 1 Member
    Hiya! I'm starting slimming world for the first time on Wednesday. Looking forward to it with a goal of 4 stone to shift. Wish me luck!
  • djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    I joined Slimming World in Jun 2018 and lost just over 13 stone. I've regained 4 stone over the past 4 months through stupidity so back on the plan properly again.
  • maylingsmom
    maylingsmom Posts: 18 Member
    Is slimming world similar to Weight Watchers?
  • djwinch
    Is slimming world similar to Weight Watchers?

I've not done or looked up weight watchers but Slimming World is effectively you have 15 points a day you can use on food with a huge database of foods and their point value.

Fruit, veg, potato, rice etc all free as long as not fried, blended etc.
  • oooaarrrr79
    oooaarrrr79 Posts: 85 Member
    I did slimming world about 18 years ago and lost 2 stone in 12 weeks. My personal opinion about slimming world is that when you do it it works, how I don't know as I ate loads, much more than I should or would have if I was to have calorie counted. I would have massive baked potatoes, packs of pasta and rice, when I say fruit I would say up to 15 pieces a day but there was never a week I didn't lose weight. Since then, and like I said this is my own personal opinion, it doesn't teach you portion control which I had and still have a problem with. I gained all the weight back plus a few more stone for good measure. I know no one who has done the diet and has kept the weight off only then to re-join time and time again continuing the cycle thinking "it works, it worked before" I mean yes is does like I said but if it did actually work the re-joining wouldn't be necessary. I know of people who have had a Christmas off, a week or two for holidays and literally they have not just put on a few pound but close to if not over a stone, I mean surely it's not right. Anyway like I said this is my own personal opinion and what I have seen and heard but if it works for you and it's what makes you happy go for it.
  • Shinzy11
    Shinzy11 Posts: 10 Member
    Hey! I joined SW in October 2019 and I've lost 1st 5lb so far :)

I've been on MFP for years and find using both helps me maintain the losses. I'll be honest, I haven't always stuck to plan but I've found that as I'm below my daily calories I've got the losses anyway lol
  • rm00
    rm00 Posts: 200 Member
    Hi I have been following SW + calorie counting at 1400 daily since Jan 2020 and I have found that I haven’t felt hungry at all. So far I have lost just 6lbs this month but I am going to try and continue following it during Feb.
  • I rejoined slimming world at the beginning of January and so far so good. I'm sticking to my MFP calories as much as possible too as otherwise my portion control is out of the window. Seems to be working for me at the minute.

Last time I followed slimming world only I lost about 2.5 stone but as others mention its easy to put it back on when you stop sticking to the plan.
  • rm00
    I’m trying to gradually change my lifestyle during this period by going to the gym 3 times per week as well and monitoring how I deal with special eating events such as birthday parties etc. It’s very early days though but the SW + MFP calorie counting seems to be working so far. Fingers crossed 😅
  • djwinch
    I did slimming world about 18 years ago and lost 2 stone in 12 weeks. My personal opinion about slimming world is that when you do it it works, how I don't know as I ate loads, much more than I should or would have if I was to have calorie counted. I would have massive baked potatoes, packs of pasta and rice, when I say fruit I would say up to 15 pieces a day but there was never a week I didn't lose weight. Since then, and like I said this is my own personal opinion, it doesn't teach you portion control which I had and still have a problem with. I gained all the weight back plus a few more stone for good measure. I know no one who has done the diet and has kept the weight off only then to re-join time and time again continuing the cycle thinking "it works, it worked before" I mean yes is does like I said but if it did actually work the re-joining wouldn't be necessary. I know of people who have had a Christmas off, a week or two for holidays and literally they have not just put on a few pound but close to if not over a stone, I mean surely it's not right. Anyway like I said this is my own personal opinion and what I have seen and heard but if it works for you and it's what makes you happy go for it.

I've still not got portion control sorted and continue the weight loss etc but I think the thing with it is it's something that if you start it you don't come off it. Rather than seeing it as a diet it's more of a lifestyle change. This is probably what they want though as you're continuing to fund them!

I don't find myself having the time to or trusting the calorie counting. I mean I could weigh my frozen fruit I add to my fresh fruit for breakfast etc but it's adding that extra 5 mins or so to my day I don't really have. Come dinner it would be adding much more to my prep time weighing everything as everything is pretty much from fresh on SW.

I refuse to pay for the service anymore though as I did it online and it was effectively £5 a week to have a weight entry on their website and the odd crap pdf sent through saying well done on losing another 1/2st.
  • rm00
    I agree with you as weighing every single thing can be a pain. I should have explained that I am not paying as I am following the SW plan through a friend (who has stopped attending the group sessions).

I am finding that I don't feel hungry at all which is always my downfall so it is ok at the moment. I also agree that it is a lifestyle change and I am keeping a daily log of situations that arise such as how I deal with events like birthday celebrations to see what I can learn from the plan. However, sadly it is not my first time dieting and so I'm just going to try and give it my best.