Clothes Shopping After/During Weight loss

Options
foreverblissful
foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
edited December 2019 in Motivation and Support
When did you guys buy your first set of clothes during/after weightloss? Did you wait or buy throughout?

I'm a year into my journey, 32lbs down(still not 100% done yet), although I only recently began dropping most of the weight since I started working out at the gym 5 months ago.

Today was my first time shopping since I started my weightloss journey, and man did I need it! I was beginning to feel like an imposter in my old clothes, which were loose, baggy in weird places and just plain ugly on my new shape. It almost got to the point where I began to think it was my body that was just still "too fat, and that's why I look so weird in everything I wear." Thank god I found an old top that used to be super tight on me. After I realized that it fit me now, all those negative thoughts were put to rest.

I've been overweight all of my life, a few times borderline obese, and I almost cried when I fit comfortably into size 6 jeans(the waist was actually too big even at this size--if anyone has any tips for women with larger hips for pants, I would very much appreciate it btw)! At smallest I previously owned size 8's which I remembered used to be super tight to the point where it would pinch my belly fat into a really bad muffin top. At my biggest I wore a size 10 in skinny jeans.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    At 285 lbs I dressed like an unmade bed. After losing the first 25 lbs I celebrated with a new suit. Game changer. About the time I lost 25 more, I met Harry the tailor. He taught me how to dress. I became the best dressed guy at the office. It was loads of fun. Taking pride in my appearance changed everything. Worth every penny. Clothes that fit are always a good idea.

• Mnaminal
    Mnaminal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personally, I joined Gwynnie Bee (closet.gwynniebee.com) about 5 years ago. My body shape is such that I’m always at least a size 10. So as I’ve had ups and downs, I can adjust my wardrobe accordingly. I have a few “time capsule” pieces, but the clothing subscription saves me from looking like an unmade bed or 10lbs of sausage in a 5lb casing...
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am a thrift shopper most of the time so I switch out my wardrobe semi-guilt free. Of course, shortly before this weight loss venture I donated a bunch of stuff that was too small, convinced I would never be able to wear it again! I am buying workout pants in a smaller size because constantly hiking my pants up while running is beyond annoying... but even then, I shop at places like Marshall’s where it’s not quite as hard on the budget. (Recently I found leggings WITH a drawstring- YES!!) We have a wedding next week for a family member, couldn’t wear anything in my wardrobe because I was told no black, put it off until last week due to changing shape, found a great dress at Goodwill, whoop whoop!

Next things to buy are bras - blah! My most recent whoosh came from up top so nothing fits right now :( and my sports bras aren’t nearly as effective for bounce control.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I bought cheap stuff while I was losing weight. I had a few work outfits, and beyond that, I lived in race shirts.

I’d recommend not running out and buying expensive clothes until you’ve been in maintenance for a few months. Even in maintenance, your shape can change. I had a job interview when I was about 10 pounds or less from my goal, bought a suit...and that suit did not fit anymore at my goal weight. (But I got the job.)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I still have a wardrobe full of different sized outfits and slowly I can wear them again. I only bought myself a pair of jeans some 3 months ago, about 6 sizes or so smaller. Tried them on last week - still can't close them, especially not the zipper - but for me a proper goal and objective to work towards which I should reach by about Easter I hope.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I've bought new clothes on several occasions during weight loss. I can still wear some of my older clothes, just as a baggier fit. But now that I've lost weight, I'm comfortable wearing more form fitting clothing.

Just today and I went and ordered several medium polo shirts. I was an XL when I started. The mediums may be a bit small for me, but they help me with motivation as they give me something to strive for.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I bought clothes throughout - I dropped from an Australian size 18 down to a 16, 14, 12 and now I'm a 10. I bought from op shops (Salvation Army, St Vincent de Paul etc) and also cheaper articles of clothing from Target, Kmart, Big W etc. I didn't buy anything new because I was dropping sizes. Now that I've stabilised and am in maintenance, I've bought a few new items but am still buying mostly from op shops simply because I've become addicted to op shop shopping :D I share your thrill though - being only five feet tall, when I was 86.6kg, it was so hard finding clothes that fit me sideways as well as up and down ... now it's amazing to be able to buy a size 10 and have so much choice!!! Congrats on your weight loss so far and keep up the good work.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I wore my clothes as long as I could, but I ended shopping for clothes in batches. I went through sizes 18 and 16 pretty fast so I didn't do much clothes shopping at that point.

I stayed at size 14 and especially 12 for a while so I bought a lot of clothes at those sizes.

For the rest of the sizes I lived in stretchy clothes and I used the dryer to shrink some of my clothes so I was able to get by.

When I reached my goal I went on a major clothes shopping spree (which was an amazing experience since I was overweight most of my life), but over the next year I ended up losing another size unintentionally. Eventually I had to get many of those clothes taken in.

After losing over 80 pounds, I also lost 2 shoe sizes and went from wide width to regular so I had to replace all of my footwear as well.

I've been maintaining for 6.5 years now so it's great having properly fitting clothes and not to have to replace them.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I bought things throughout. When I first started (before MFP), I went from 307 down to 270s and didn't really buy anything new, just got rid of the few REALLY huge tops I had. I was squeezing into 22-24 when I barely fit into them anymore so losing that first 30-40 lb made my clothes fit well again.

But then. I started tracking on MFP and lost much more quickly and had to get new stuff. I mostly shopped thrift stores & off-price stores like TJ Maxx. I'd always been a big clothes/fashion person even at my largest so it was embarrassing when friends & family started pulling me aside to tell me my clothes were looking WAY too big, and did not fit. So I became pretty aware of that after awhile and discarded (donated or sold) things that were too large or stopped fitting properly.

Now I've been in the same 10 lb range for 6 years and counting. I still find that my body changes a little bit over time. Some of my tops that were snug last year are looking better now and I need to replace a lot of my 10-12 jeans with 10 that fit my shape better now. It's an ongoing thing. But I agree with others, it's so nice finally being in maintenance and able to splurge on jackets or whatever, knowing they will generally fit me for a few years!
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    After losing over 80 pounds, I also lost 2 shoe sizes and went from wide width to regular so I had to replace all of my footwear as well.

Yes! no one told me that weight loss can also lead to your shoe size dropping. I've just discovered this recently myself.