Progress Not Perfection

Options
Hello peoples,

I'm up late procrastinating on work so I figure now is a better time than ever to finally share my story. I've been following posts on here forever and am constantly amazed and inspired at what I read.

Back in 2008, I was miserable. I was my heaviest, but more importantly I embarrassed of who I was. And this was reflected in my eating habits. I was too busying out partying and drinking (following by late night drunchies) than focusing on taking care of my mind and body. Ironically enough, I was headed to medical school - excited about a career revolved around preserving and maintaining health. I remember being out on the basketball court one day the summer before I started when someone mentioned to me that his brother had gained 40 pounds in medical school from all the stress. He warned me that I was probably in for a rough road ahead. Wow was he wrong.

Fast forward 5 years and I couldn't feel better. I'm down almost 80 pounds, my mood is always through the roof thanks to the timeless high of endorphins, and my life is finally coming together. I have drive, purpose, and ambition - everything I lacked back in my heavier days. I'm 6 months from graduating and on track for the most amazing and fulfilling career anyone can ask for. And I've been fortunate to date some incredible and gorgeous women along the way who would not have looked at me twice back in the day.

I've tried tons of fad diets to get here, but what's kept me on track isn't a strict code on what I eat and don't eat. It's the simple motto "progress not perfection". The notion everyday is an opportunity for self-improvement, that there's something massively gratifying about accomplishing short and long term goals. It's only human to crave perfection of ourselves, I can't tell you how many times I screwed up when I was adhering to strict diets and felt terrible about it. It feels great to breakaway from that all or nothing mentality. Now when I have a bad day eating I still feel like crap, but I remember that the day is always young and tomorrow is always a chance to make it right. Without a doubt, focusing on whole fresh foods, fruits, produce, and quality protein has helped - along with finding good ways to stimulate some serotonin release like walks, runs, jogs, looking like a fool on the bball court, all-night dance parties, etc. But a lot of it is self-trust and determination, which come together at a different point in life for everyone. Needless to say, I'm incredibly thankful to everyone along the way who's shown me kindness and positive feedback, and to ya'll (shout out to my southerners) who keep posting tips and inspiring stories. Best of luck to all of us, to our short and long term goals, and to our prosperous lives. Deuces!

-Saba

Before:
89bc7609-8f80-46b7-bd35-fc3253552255_zpsd5a433ca.jpg

After:
08e5cc7e-0b0c-4d3f-a862-c4743d84365a_zps84efe16e.jpg

Replies

• strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...you look amazing and you have the right attitude about progress not perfection. Each day is a new beginning to try and better ourselves. Keep up the good work!
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    congratulations that is amazing progress!
  • curtissoph
    curtissoph Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well done, what an inspiring story! Love the title too :)
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You've done brilliantly - congratulations!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    oh wow :) big change there! congrats!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats on some amazing success (both physically and professionally)!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!