why isnt it having an affect? 1400kcals 338lbs

Options
Hi Guys

just want to question my logic see if it makes sense to you lot before I take it any further.

I am 27 m and 338lbs (153kg) I am eating 1400kcals a day, plenty of fruit and veg however i am not losing any weight, I admit I currrently not exercising due to a chest infection.

my question is that BMR for me is about 2800kcals on my current weight so eating 1400kcals should see a nice but small decline in my weight week on week. this isnt happening.

is there anything that can be causing that ?or is it something worth getting the doctor involved in?

Replies

• Sarahwithlove22
    Sarahwithlove22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably thinking your not giving it enough food and storing fat. might be worth trying a few more calories. remember slow and steady wins the race
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    you say plenty of fruit & veg, do you include this in your daily calories?

I ask because some folk have the Weight Watchers' method in their mind, where fruit & veg are not counted, but they are on MFP, and some fruits can be quite high in calories from the natural sugars
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    "I am eating 1400kcal a day..."

That's your problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? How long has it been since you saw a loss?
  • paullee9861
    paullee9861 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your calories are too low, I would go on 2k

Also your more than likely insulin resistant and an endomorph so carbs are not your friend.

Base your diet on 1 lb protien for every lb of your goal bodyweight. (if your goal is to be 200lb then 200 grams of protien)

keep your carbs to below 50 grams per day.

Balance of calories from healthy fats (omega 3 6 and 9)

If or when your training take a carb protien meal as your post workout this is the only time to go past 50 gram carbs.
    The only time to eat fruit is after training.

Walk for 1 hour every day or aim for 10,000 steps. The best time is in the morning fasted. (before breakfast)

You will loose weight guaranteed.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    dont pay attention to the "starvation mode" crap. even if your bodys metabolic rate did decrease, as it has been shown to do after a prolonged vlcd, it wouldnt happen that quick, and even then, its shown to be about a 10% decrease, which would still leave you losing weight at your size. that being said, i have 2 theories...

1. your not logging correctly, either your portions or specific foods, maybe forgetting to log "minor" things, like ketchup and such...

or,

2. you have an underlying medical condition, maybe something to do with your thyroid, and may want to be seen by a m.d.

my guess would be the first one! i have to weigh everything to get correct portions, and log every crumb that goes into my mouth. i log coffee, i log condiments... i log everything!
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    thats all bogus, i was 244lbs, and was eating at 1400 calories, mostly meat, dairy vegetables and salads
    and was overtraining doing 12hrs a week and i lost 15Kilo's in 2 months, then it started to stall as i changed to more weights/core training and not as much cardio.

and you don't need to eat 1g per lb of body weight unless you are a body builder, .5 to .8g is more then enough tho i tend to stick with 1g cause i want to eat less carbs and more protein to fill in that gap

as for what and when to eat, there are guides across the net that all say conflicting things, so chose what you want to believe and if it doesn't work try something else.

the most common issue of not losing weight is you are retaining water which would be the case if you are exercising and not drinking enough water, ironically to lose water you have to drink water forcing your body to constantly flush itself and enough water is 8x250ml glasses of water based products for women, 12x250ml for men, more if you are training often. and not all in one hit, you need to space it out over the course of a day.

with 338lbs you don't need to worry about undereating within reason, you'd jsut be forcing your body to go to the next available source withing your body which is Fat, then Carbs and lastly protein strains and or muscle which are the hardest for the body to break down, so eat moderate carbs, moderate proteins and low -moderate "good" fats. your body needs fats just not saturated fats.,

saying that i found 1600 was my sweet spot for the longest time, try that and see how you go. and just a last helpfull hint, losing more then 1Kg a week will leave you flabby so don't go beyond that and if you lose topo quick you also make it harder to lose the weight when you do lose some as your motabolism naturally slows down a bit as you lose weight and become fitter, i know you want it gone but trust me you want to look good in the mirror not just be healthy and if you lose too quick you will be let with alot of loose skin that can't be fixed without surgery.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    dont pay attention to the "starvation mode" crap. even if your bodys metabolic rate did decrease, as it has been shown to do after a prolonged vlcd, it wouldnt happen that quick, and even then, its shown to be about a 10% decrease, which would still leave you losing weight at your size. that being said, i have 2 theories...

1. your not logging correctly, either your portions or specific foods, maybe forgetting to log "minor" things, like ketchup and such...

or,

2. you have an underlying medical condition, maybe something to do with your thyroid, and may want to be seen by a m.d.

my guess would be the first one! i have to weigh everything to get correct portions, and log every crumb that goes into my mouth. i log coffee, i log condiments... i log everything!

yeah forgot about hypothyroidism

just let MFP chose what you should eat to lose 1Kg a week and eat that then dont eat back most or any of your exercise calories. after a month reacess, the MFP guide is fine for overweight or obese people like us when you get down to under 200 it doesn't seem to be a good guide to follow then you have to manually find your sweet spot..
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you're absolutely sure you're eating 1400kcals, I suggest you visit a doctor. Because you should definitely lose weight, even sedentary. You could try it for another week and if your weight still doesn't bulge, make an appointment and talk to your doctor about it. You could print the myfitnesspal logs as evidence.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably thinking your not giving it enough food and storing fat. might be worth trying a few more calories. remember slow and steady wins the race

This is nonsense.
  • terryrh
    terryrh Posts: 25 Member
    Options

This is nonsense.

Agreed
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm one for upping the cals too. I was stalled at 1350. 2200 got me moving again. But remember that any infection is going to come hand in hand with fluid retention.

Oh, and here is one thing I've learned: Logic doesn't enter into what your body is capable of doing to "save your life". The body defies logic and physics. I can go into the bathroom, weigh in, then poo and weigh in again and I always weigh MORE then the first time.

It's scary how our bodies work and we know so little about them.
  • tommiirugby
    tommiirugby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Reason I queried it, I have been watching obese a year to save my life, they have been eating 1400kcals and 2hours of exercise a day and they are loosing alot of weight.