Upright cycling

Options
Hi

I use the bikes at the gym off season which are fine but because I have a dodgy spine I sit bolt upright, hands on hips with the best posture I can to improve core strength and balance.

Problem is my perineum and sit bones. Obvs riding outside the position is different on a trail bike to a gym bike. It hurt like hell on the outdoor bike when I dusted it down and took it out..... any helpful suggestions for bum training on the gym bike? I can't lean forward on the gym bike as the position is too aggressive.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It almost sounds like the saddle is just the wrong one for you (the prefect saddle is highly individual). You may be able to mitigate a less than perfect fit with cycling shorts, the chamois will offer a little additional protection (consider some chamois butt'r to reduce friction/chafing)

Other than that it may just be a matter of becoming accustomed to being back in the saddle again.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Chamois cream, good cycling shorts, fit your own saddle, incorporate standing cycling intervals for saddle relief, acclimatise slowly, set up the gym bike carefully and keep a note of your settings.

Good luck!
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Looks like I just have to grit my teeth then lol - it's bumpy on those trails! . PS have good shorts and chamois
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    As i read more about biking form and set up, I think some of the pain from the saddle is definitely some you have to push through as your body acclimates, if it persists then the physical seat and position might be the issue. The first time we rode after significant time off I hurt for days, now it is a touch sore but not nearly as bad or for as long. I also got a seat designed for the female anatomy which is helping with numbness!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Gym bikes are torture IMO😩