Hormones, Health & Weight Loss

This is my second go around in less than a year. Feeling discouraged but trying again. I’ve never really struggled with weight until I hit menopause. Nothing seems to help. Most of the time my diary would yell at me that I wasn’t hitting my 1200 calorie goal (would average 600-700 calories a day *struggling with huge lack of appetite *). Was finally able to get it up to around 1000 calories a day but even with exercise still was stagnant or putting weight on... not sure what to do but have to keep trying so here I am... again.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    How consistent were you in terms of logging? Generally, you don't want to eat extremely low calories as it can cause nutrient deficiencies which have been to have an adverse impact on weight loss. Ideally, you want to find a balance between adequate nutrition and being in a deficit. It's also possible the reason you failed was from too little calories and exercise.

What are your current stats? It might be worth starting with a slower projected weight loss number and working to get higher calorie but nutrient dense foods to see if that helps. Things like fatty cuts of meat, full fat dairy, oily fish, olive/avocado oils, and things like quinoa, beans and legumes.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,710 Member
    If you haven’t already, get a food scale, and a good heart rate monitor for when you exercise- one tthat tracks calories. I like the Polar OH1. Both were game changers for me. Yes, our bodies do change with menopause, so that means being disciplined about tracking. Nothing is insurmountable! You can do it!

FYI check out Christiane Northrup MD’s book “The Wisdom of Menopause”.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    You need to be consistently at your calorie, nutrition, and exercise goals for a LONG period of time to see results. The key is consistency. Start by reading the getting started posts for guidance to get your goals set up and then consistently execute and you will reach your goals.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Hormones can slow weight loss but don't completely stop it. Try being very strict on tracking everything that goes in your mouth and weighing foods for a month. Very few women that are trying to lose weight and are trying to be active should eat less than 1200 calories a day.

Weight loss does tend to be more slow/challenging for women because of hormones/fluctuations and that much lesser lean mass. However, there is no reason you shouldn't be losing weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings