Thank you Planet Fitness...

Options
Planet Fitness (PF) has opened a second new gym in my town. As such, my full service gym at about 4 times the cost of PF ($11/month), has no holiday/New Year's crowds developing yet. I mean hardly any new faces at all! We'll see what next week brings, but both PF parking lots are already full.

I hope Planet Fitness opens another gym so maybe my gym will start lowering prices.

Replies

• Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    haha - not humble bragging at all. Just loving the easy parking and lack of crowds.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My little gym is pretty quiet right now as well. PF opened up as well and has probably gobbled up most the newyears crowd that usually starts showing up in late december. I dont mind people in the gym but ealry jan tends to get crazy
  • gwinhart17
    gwinhart17 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ugh, planet fitness. My husband was a member for almost a year. It was on his way home from work and convenient, plus he had a few work buddies that went also. Once all his buddies stopped going, he decided to cancel and come back to our regular gym (after the holidays, we are too broke to afford much of anything for a few weeks, lol) ....well planet fitness made the most of this cancellation by hitting our account for $90! A few days before Christmas of course. Now I know this is partly hubby's fault for NEVER getting all the info on anything. But still, ugh!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    PF not my my style. But the “hiss of shame” ad makes me laugh. They definitely have a feel for the excesses of bro culture.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The OP is correct. This is one advantage of PF for sure.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    what you can and can't do

What are you talking about? What would they stop me from doing that I would care about?

• eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    massages are worth to price of the membership.

You mean massages chair and beds, not human massages, right?

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »

What are you talking about? What would they stop me from doing that I would care about?

Something like deadlifts not being allowed because of the intimidation factor.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Apart from the deadlifting issue, they (officially, at least) prohibit any "intimidating" exercises. The degree of enforcement will vary from one location to another, but this typically includes moves such as overhead presses.

One friend of mine has to hide his burpees from the staff when he works out at PF. And I have encountered people who were scolded for jumping rope or for running too fast on the treadmill. Again, the exact list of offenses will vary from one location to another.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

Apart from the deadlifting issue, they (officially, at least) prohibit any "intimidating" exercises. The degree of enforcement will vary from one location to another, but this typically includes moves such as overhead presses.

One friend of mine has to hide his burpees from the staff when he works out at PF. And I have encountered people who were scolded for jumping rope or for running too fast on the treadmill. Again, the exact list of offenses will vary from one location to another.

I honestly cannot think of any exercise as being intimidating. This sounds so bizarre.