Trying to keep to vegan diet

Options
annie5904
annie5904 Posts: 84 Member
I would love to hear from other vegans or would be vegans. I am not the full on wont make coffee for you if you have milk type of vegan. I do cook meat for my oh. He is flexitarian for health reasons.
Ik. I ve not had meat for 2 years as of today. I struggle with fish. Also cheese. Only in recipes. I used to love a cheese board but it doesn't t bother me now. I am going to make spinach and ricotta canelloni this week. Using either cashews or tofu Not sure if oh will notice. I will get something else so he has an alternative. The other thing is yoghurt. I don t like the home made so am going to try some bought ones.
It takes a while to get things right. I think I can sort cheese and yoghurt but the fish will take some doing.
Then their is always someone who will say do you wear leather shoes. So I guess if I crack the fish thing I should just say I eat a plant based diet.
Sometimes you feel like you are on trial.
Anyway bye for now.get in touch if any of the above resonates in any way with you
Annie

Replies

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. At the beginning of 2019 I became vegetarian. It is something I had ALWAYS wanted to try for as long as I can remember and I'm proud that I started cold turkey (pun intended) and LOVE it. Now I would really like to attempt vegan but that seems like so much more work and research. For the most part I think I could become vegan because I don't really eat dairy or eggs anymore unless it's already in something as an ingredient. The exception which I would really struggle with replacing is that I have a pint of low cal ice cream every single night. I've made banana "nice cream" recently which is very good but I haven't used it to replace my ice cream just yet.

I'm rooting for you!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I "accidentally" became plant based this past year. Meat had been turning me off for the past couple of years. For example sometimes I would smell meat cooking and it would make me extremely nauseous. I woke up one morning and decided I would not eat it anymore (think I was smelling bacon that morning which just smelled putrid and rancid). Soon after I learned that I had a dairy intolerance. So that just left fish.

During all of this I had decided that I wanted to eat a diet that was similar to that in the blue zones. So I became a plant based eater that still ate fish. I became concerned with mercury and pcbs in fish along with the overfishing of the ocean. So right now I'm down to fish about once per month.

I really enjoy my diet and have seldomly felt better - although losing 60 pounds is a huge factor as well. My daily diet is filled with tons of fresh fruit and veg, beans and grains. I truly love every meal.

I know several vegans and do feel off-put over the seemingly constant criticism over people not being vegan enough. Although I am not a vegan, it seems to me that an ethical vegan should be happy when anyone limits their use of animal products.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    I'd also like to recommend the Happy Herbivores Group here on MFP. 🙂
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I "accidentally" became plant based this past year. Meat had been turning me off for the past couple of years. For example sometimes I would smell meat cooking and it would make me extremely nauseous. I woke up one morning and decided I would not eat it anymore (think I was smelling bacon that morning which just smelled putrid and rancid). Soon after I learned that I had a dairy intolerance. So that just left fish.

During all of this I had decided that I wanted to eat a diet that was similar to that in the blue zones. So I became a plant based eater that still ate fish. I became concerned with mercury and pcbs in fish along with the overfishing of the ocean. So right now I'm down to fish about once per month.

I really enjoy my diet and have seldomly felt better - although losing 60 pounds is a huge factor as well. My daily diet is filled with tons of fresh fruit and veg, beans and grains. I truly love every meal.

I know several vegans and do feel off-put over the seemingly constant criticism over people not being vegan enough. Although I am not a vegan, it seems to me that an ethical vegan should be happy when anyone limits their use of animal products.

If you truly think an individual is a valid recipient of moral concern, you may not be happy if someone decides to hurt them less often (instead of avoiding hurting them at all). This is why some vegans aren't satisfied when people decide to simply reduce their participation in animal exploitation. Strangely, it can be harder to understand when some people are *somewhat* open to arguments that we should avoid exploiting animals but still decide to do it than when they are completely opposed to all vegan arguments.

Maybe it would help if you pictured the type of person that you feel lots of sympathy towards when they're hurt unnecessarily. Imagine you see someone hurting them and you try to convince them to stop. They acknowledge that their actions are hurting this person and they agree to do it a few times of a week instead of daily. Some people would see this as a step forward and be pleased. Other people would not understand why someone could acknowledge that their actions were hurting someone and still want to do them. I suspect that many of us would fall in the second group in many situations involving humans. Just like some of us with humans, there are vegans who would fall into this group when it comes to animals.
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hello!! 2.5 year vegan!! I live with non vegan people, when I’m at my family home I cook non vegan meals for them:) (but I won’t pay for the animal products). They do their best and are so supportive of me I couldn’t ask more from them!!! There will always be someone saying how you’re “not a vegan” and I got told it recently (I can’t even remember what I said to be honest). It takes a lot of strength to stand up for what you believe in.. I couldn’t hurt an animal, and that’s why I identify as vegan as opposed to plant-based (which my friend who eats that way for health benefits). Don’t let people label you, and don’t label yourself. It’s how you eat / live but not what defines you as a person. When I meet people I never dsscdibe myself as “a vegan”, I’m a student, I’m a environmentalist, I’m a family girl, I’m not what I eat. x
  • lalalacroix
    Options

If you truly think an individual is a valid recipient of moral concern, you may not be happy if someone decides to hurt them less often (instead of avoiding hurting them at all). This is why some vegans aren't satisfied when people decide to simply reduce their participation in animal exploitation. Strangely, it can be harder to understand when some people are *somewhat* open to arguments that we should avoid exploiting animals but still decide to do it than when they are completely opposed to all vegan arguments.

Maybe it would help if you pictured the type of person that you feel lots of sympathy towards when they're hurt unnecessarily. Imagine you see someone hurting them and you try to convince them to stop. They acknowledge that their actions are hurting this person and they agree to do it a few times of a week instead of daily. Some people would see this as a step forward and be pleased. Other people would not understand why someone could acknowledge that their actions were hurting someone and still want to do them. I suspect that many of us would fall in the second group in many situations involving humans. Just like some of us with humans, there are vegans who would fall into this group when it comes to animals.

I truly understand what you are saying. And I'm certainly not trying to call out all ethical vegans for being passionate regarding their beliefs. I do still stand by my opinion that any step in the "right direction" should be a good thing.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I truly understand what you are saying. And I'm certainly not trying to call out all ethical vegans for being passionate regarding their beliefs. I do still stand by my opinion that any step in the "right direction" should be a good thing.

Oh, I hope it didn't come across like I was trying to challenge you to change your opinion on that. It wasn't at all what I meant. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

The problem with your analogy is that the poster you were responding to never mentioned animal welfare concerns among their own personal motivations for consuming less meat (health and personal preferences were mentioned as motivating factors). So the situation is more like criticizing someone for not following through completely on the critic's moral views about not hurting people when the person causing the hurt only decides to cut back on the frequency of injury because inflicting the injury takes time or energy they would rather spend on other things.

While one might argue about the moral views of the person causing injury, one can't fairly criticize the person causing injury for not adhering full-time to a moral position they don't ascribe to.
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2020
    Options

The problem with your analogy is that the poster you were responding to never mentioned animal welfare concerns among their own personal motivations for consuming less meat (health and personal preferences were mentioned as motivating factors). So the situation is more like criticizing someone for not following through completely on the critic's moral views about not hurting people when the person causing the hurt only decides to cut back on the frequency of injury because inflicting the injury takes time or energy they would rather spend on other things.

While one might argue about the moral views of the person causing injury, one can't fairly criticize the person causing injury for not adhering full-time to a moral position they don't ascribe to.

They mentioned overfishing, which could be a human-centric concern (i.e., wanting to preserve fish as food for future generations) or an animal-centric one (i.e., an animal species has a value worth preserving, even if it means humans must limit exploitation of it). If someone meant that an animal species has an inherent value regardless of its value to humans, I would say that is an acknowledgement, in some respect, that an animal or species is a valid recipient of moral concern.

But this is less about this poster specifically than it is about the general situation -- vegans getting frustrated/concerned when people reduce their animal consumption but don't go vegan. Although this particular poster may have no concern for animals, there are people who reduce their consumption for animal welfare reasons and that is what I was addressing.