Extra exercise and Insanity??

Options
Hi! :)

I'm going to be starting Insanity soon, if anyone has any hints or tips or general words of advice it would be fab thanks, me and my hubby are doing it to loose body fat and get toned and fit rather than loose weight.

One question I do have is though, is, what are the thoughts on doing extra exercise whilst following the Insanity program? I have a gym membership and don't want to be paying and not going for two months, also I enjoy doing other types of exercises (classes/swimming etc) and don't want to give these up. I have been doing around 4/5 days of about an hour each of different exercises up until 2 weeks ago (I went on holiday). Is it wise to be doing other exercises as well as Insanity and if so how much can I do? Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm two weeks into insanity and I'm still training for a Half marathon which at the moment is about 30-40 miles running a week.

Apart from a couple of tired runs I've been ok. I do insanity in the mornings and run on an evening.

I've found as long as I eat enough and stretch properly after both workouts I'm good to go!

Si
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're pushing yourself 100% in the workouts you shouldnt need any extra exercise.

i am on my second round of insanity, and even though i can tell i am loads fitter this time, i still wouldnt dream of doing any other exercise on the same day! but thats just me!
  • DempseyWRX
    DempseyWRX Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do the Insanity programs at night and separately lift weights hours earlier in the day. So long as you always keep tabs on your overall health and make sure you're not overdoing it to the point of injury you should be fine. Make sure you're getting all your nutrients and hydrating though. Your body is going to be shocked.
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks. I'm sure I'm not going to NEED to do the extra exercise, however as I said I don't want to waste my gym membership but I also enjoy doing other forms of exercise too.

I was planning on doing Insanity in the morning and then doing a class/swimming or whatever on an evening maybe 3 times a week. I guess I will just have to see how my body copes - especially with having some time off exercise (although last week I must have walked about 50 miles!).

:)
  • xmel123x
    xmel123x Posts: 63
    Options
    Also, does anyone have any advice regarding the results and recovery formula? I'm in the UK and can't buy it, but have been reading about alternatives such as chocolate milk. Can anyone recommend a good alternative for me: a woman that wants to be really toned but not be massively muscley, and my hubby: who wants to build muscle??

Cheers
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Also, does anyone have any advice regarding the results and recovery formula? I'm in the UK and can't buy it, but have been reading about alternatives such as chocolate milk. Can anyone recommend a good alternative for me: a woman that wants to be really toned but not be massively muscley, and my hubby: who wants to build muscle??

Cheers

a woman who wants to be toned needs to reduce bodyfat with a moderate deficit and some strength/resistance training. but you may then fnd you dont have enough muscle for the 'toned' look you want and so will need to do a bulk/cut cycle or 2.

a man who wants to build muscle needs a good full body strength programme and a calorie surplus. insanity will not build muscle.

neither case requires the results & recovery formula
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Protein for retaining LBM.