Breakfast tips

Options
Hey,

I was wondering what people like to eat for breakfast. My goal is to keep breakfast below 665 calories. Is this realistic?

I like eating eggs, toast, cereal, etc. I only eat Shreddies and Cheerios. Do people have specific tips?

It is 2020 and so I want to start the new year out right.

Chris

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want for breakfast as long as you stay within your calorie goal. You stated that you like eggs, toast, and cereal. This would be easy to keep below 665 calories. No need to re-invent the wheel if you already like what you're eating.

Since you ask what other people eat for breakfast, I only have dry cereal and Greek yogurt because I want to keep my breakfast calories below 300. Everyone's needs, preferences, and goals are different.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    you can eat anything, but I like foods high in fiber, carbs, protein, and fats, to fuel my day and workout.
    My breakfast is usually the highest calories of all three meals.. I consume around 800-1000 calories. My entire calorie goal is around 2300-2500 calories adding exercise calories burned. I eat back every last calorie!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I have a breakfast burrito nearly every single morning for around 300 calories. Bacon, ham, or sausage, eggs or egg whites, cheese, sometimes onions and peppers, sometimes not. That’s what makes me happy. Calories are right and it keeps mu full until lunchtime. I wish the rest of the day was that easy.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cups of coffee with milk and vitamins in the early morning. On work days, I like to bring my breakfast with me to work. I generally have oatmeal with walnuts, berries and cream. This adds up to less than 500 calories.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I'm not hungry, so I don't eat breakfast. If I am hungry, usually I'll have a piece of fruit like a banana or an apple. This morning, though, I had pistachios. They were delicious.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Eat what you enjoy that also fits your nutrition goals and keeps you sated as long as you need. Shouldn't be hard to keep it under 665 cal.

I like breakfast, and I like getting some protein (doesn't have to be a whole lot, depends on my day) and some veg at breakfast. My favorites are 2 egg omelet with lots of vegetables (sometimes I have other things on the side, like cottage cheese or avocado or other fruit, depending on my cal goal), a smoothie (today I did that, it has zucchini, kale, avocado, a little mango, some strawberries, about 10 g of pepitas, and soy milk), or oats (usually savory).

Sometimes I just have dinner leftovers, though.

My specific tip is that if you like eating breakfast, it makes it easier to have a plan, and for me it's easy to basically do the same thing for days at a time (when I'm having my omelets it just depends on what veg I have on hand and if I want something on the side and if so, what). Some things like egg bites or overnight oats can be prepared ahead.

My cals from breakfast normally vary between 350 and 450 -- 410 today -- although for a while when I had a higher deficit I was doing the eggs and veg with nothing else on the side and the cals were lower.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I was wondering what people like to eat for breakfast. My goal is to keep breakfast below 665 calories. Is this realistic?

I like eating eggs, toast, cereal, etc. I only eat Shreddies and Cheerios. Do people have specific tips?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Could you clarify what your difficulties or specific concerns around breakfast and food choices are?
    From what you posted, you could have a breakfast with all named food items for 660 calories
    2 eggs- 140 cals
    1 toast- 100 cals
    1 cup cheerios - 100 cals
    1 cup skim milk- 100 cals
    Grand total of 440 cals? you could even have another egg and toast, or bowl of cereal and still be under 660.
    Other than an absence of some fruit/veg that is also a really well rounded and nutritious breakfast.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Hey,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Could you clarify what your difficulties or specific concerns around breakfast and food choices are?
    From what you posted, you could have a breakfast with all named food items for 660 calories
    2 eggs- 140 cals
    1 toast- 100 cals
    1 cup cheerios - 100 cals
    1 cup skim milk- 100 cals
    Grand total of 440 cals? you could even have another egg and toast, or bowl of cereal and still be under 660.
    Other than an absence of some fruit/veg that is also a really well rounded and nutritious breakfast.

Most folks cook eggs in butter or oil and also put something on their toast like butter, spread, and/ or jam - so those calories need to be added, too.

I do agree that it should be easy to eat a big breakfast for under 660 calories. For me, that's enough for breakfast and lunch! My breakfast is almost always under 300 calories. I eat either:
    1. yogurt + cereal + blueberries
    2. cereal + milk + banana/blueberries
    3. smoothie with fruit/ veggies / protein powder / yogurt
    4. oatmeal with protein powder + blueberries
    Every once in a while I have eggs or leftovers.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,713 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around or under 400 for breakfast. I go through stages of what I eat. For awhile there I was having big veggie scrambles with egg or tofu, tons of vegetables, and salsa. I got tired of all the vegetable chopping in the morning. Then I started having oatmeal with flaxseed, chia seed, apple chunks, cinnamon, cashew milk, and sometimes butternut squash. Apple and Greek yogurt for the first few months. Lately I've been having leftovers like soup or chili. I usually eat brunch as all I want first thing is my cold brew coffee.