Calorie Confusion

Options
I am new to calorie counting. I am trying to lose 100+ pounds and need all the help I can get. I am a complete novice at anything healthy (eating) and I am a bit confused.

So I have no support in trying to lose weight, but plenty of nay sayers and people who put me down, one of which is my sister. She found out I was counting calories and every time she see's me entering my meal on my app and entering my calories, she says "you know counting calories don't work right." Along with a lot of other crap...

That brought me to google searching and I see so many people say that calorie counting doesn't help and is a thing of the past. This of course is a bit depressing and brings me down. Are calorie counting still a good way to lose? I am so lost.

Also the app after entering my info set me up with a daily intake of 1380, however I read many things stating you should do 1200. Should I go by what the app says? I changed it to 1250 which is harder than 1380 but if it helps more I'm willing to try. Is that bad? Changing the suggested calorie intake it gives me? Should I leave it at 1380? Should I keep it at 1250?

Thanks.

Replies

• lincs_lass
    lincs_lass Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think if you've got 100+ pounds to lose then you should start at the suggested calorie intake of 1,380, you've to a long road, if you make it too hard then you are more likely to give up. Make sure you get as much exercise in that you can, even just starting with short walks as it all adds up but make sure that you also eat some of these calories back. Prove your sister and the others wrong and show them that calorie counting can work and that you can do it! Good luck :)
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I started counting I thought of it as a bit "old-fashioned" but it definitely works for me. If for no other reason than it makes me aware of how much I'm putting in my face! That drive-thru meal I thought was a 'healthier' option...almost 900 calories! 3/4 of what I should eat in a day. No wonder I couldn't lose weight!

And I agree, if you have 100 to lose, you should probably stick with the higher calorie suggestion and definitely eat back your exercise calories.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Most of the fad diets that you are reading about on the internet will work, but only for a short period of time. They'll leave you starving, depleted of nutrients, your weight will rebound in a big way, and you'll end up heavier than when you started. Calorie counting can be boring, if you let it be. So here's how you prove your sister wrong. First, make the calorie counting interesting. Be a calorie and nutrient detective. Challenge yourself to get your calories right and your macros right every day. If you screw up on one day, just start again on the right track the next day. Calorie counting isn't a "quick fix" but it's more likely to be a life-long fix. By taking a measured approach to regaining your health, you'll learn how to eat in a sustainable, healthy way. Trust the calorie goal that MFP has given you. As you lose weight, it will recalculate for you. Set your goal for no more than 1 pound a week. You want this to be do-able, and not to set yourself up for failure. One step at a time...one calorie at a time...you'll get there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    go back to 1380... MFP does work if you use it properly.

ignore your sister and other poeple, do what you want to do for you!
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I too have a sister. Add me if you want.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Weight loss (as a rule, with some exceptions) boils down to eating less calories than you burn. Counting calories was the 'done thing' back in the 70's and 80's, then a whole bunch of fads, quick fix diets and other methods came along. But most people find that watching their intake and doing some exercise takes the weight off. Done sensibly, it's a sustainable and effective way to lose weight. There are plenty of people on MFP who will tell you that.

I'm sorry you're not getting a lot of support. It's hard when you have people who constantly put you down and try to convince you that it won't work. I suggest you give it a month. Stay at the 1380 that you were initially set, if you are trying to drop 100+ lbs, going to 1200ish will probably be too much too soon. Log everything, weigh and measure what you eat so you're logging accurately. Do some exercise. You don't have to become a gym bunny overnight, as 1380 would put you at enough of a deficit for weight loss without too much effort on the physical side of things. See how you feel and monitor your results. Unless you have a medical condition which is hindering your weight loss, I reckon a month would be enough for you to see some progress.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Who says calories don't count ?????????? Just tell your sister to live her life and you will live YOURS. And this isn't a diet--this is your LIFESTYLE CHANGE---because this is the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I had to change my thinking and now I am doing so good and I enjoy my change AND I enjoy exercising. This is for ME, not for anyone else. Just tell everyone this is about YOU no them and enjoy this--have the fun is watching yourself change in the mirror!!! Is not hard. Just enter your food and exercise and go with the flow. You can do this and you have a whole world here behind you!!!!!!!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is the best, healthiest way to lose weight. Most people using other methods yoyo, bouncing back and forth between losing and gaining tons of weight.

Show me someone who says calorie counting doesn't work, and I'll show you someone who wasn't doing it right.
  • roverrowe
    roverrowe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I too am doing this for myself without much support, but IT WORKS! Today I entered the normal weight/BMI band after being overweight for the past 30+ years. I only had 30-odd lbs to lose, but I did it in just over 6 months by purely following MFP and building up my exercise as I felt able. Have faith in the app, weigh your food (get some nice accurate digital scales) and record everything that goes into your mouth ... you will see the results you want to see!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    So what does your sister think works? Fad diets and pills?

The basics of any diet falls down to calorie counting. Weight Watchers is points (calorie) based. Slimming World may have 'free foods', but they are classed as 'free' based on their calorie to satiety ratio. Every diet pill you can buy says 'must be taken alongside a calorie controlled diet and exercise'. Every fad diet out there only works (temporarily, I might add) because it involves a calorie deficit. Your sister is mis-informed.

I also think with over 100lb to lose, even 1380 is too small an amount. Does that include your exercise calories?

People with a larger amount to lose are ok to eat at a larger deficit in the beginning, but anything too drastic and you will lose willpower and give up. Have a read of this thread, it may help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    1380 is not counting the calories I get back from working out. Which adds to my confusion, if you lose it, why does it want you to eat then back? Might be a stupid question but I don't have much experience with this.

Thank you everyone.
  • runninghealthy
    runninghealthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1380 is not counting the calories I get back from working out. Which adds to my confusion, if you lose it, why does it want you to eat then back? Might be a stupid question but I don't have much experience with this.

Thank you everyone.

Here is a great post that breaks down the "eating back" idea:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/713460--eating-back-exercise-calories-simple-breakdown
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, if you have 100+ pounds to lose, why are you only at 1380?
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I also think with over 100lb to lose, even 1380 is too small an amount. Does that include your exercise calories?

People with a larger amount to lose are ok to eat at a larger deficit in the beginning, but anything too drastic and you will lose willpower and give up. Have a read of this thread, it may help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013?hl=road+map+2013

QFT
  • taylan14
    taylan14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do what the app says - just STICK TO IT - You can lose weight by counting calories!!!!!!!!! I have done it. You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. Exercise is best for your overall health - good for your hearth, muscles, etc.....but calorie DEFICIT is what makes the weight come off - just as too many calories is what put the weight on! People in third world countries without enough calorie intake are sure skinny- huh? God bless them - but we can SEE that it works! Just STICK with it!
  • gg0502
    gg0502 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree counting calories worked best for me. I lost 57 pounds took one year and it was 1 lb a week or so. I have mantained weight for over 6 months now. I still count calories everyday, I am 64 and it is the only time I have kept weight off after losing weight.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm not so great on the advice for what calories you should have BUT the 28lbs I've lost (so far) from counting calories definitely prove your sister wrong. Going back to basics work :) Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Stick to the 1380 the MFP has set for you. Counting calories does work. And most important ignore the naysayers. You can do this!
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am also new to counting calories. I have been on every diet out there. MPF makes it very easy to keep tract, Im on week 2 and so far I love it, and it keeps me accountable every day. Don't worry about others, they don't live in your body! YES, stay at the higher calorie count! Good luck, your welcome to add me :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Counting calories definitely works. I lost all my weight by following the MFP guidelines.

I do recommend getting a food scale and weighing/measuring as much as possible, so that your calorie counts are as accurate as possible. Also, you may want to invest in a heart rate monitor (if you do steady state cardio such as treadmill, elliptical, biking, etc.) to get a more accurate idea of how many calories you burn for exercise.

You generally want to eat back your exercise calories if you are following the MFP method as they already built your deficit in a way that would allow you to lose without exercise. If you don't eat them back, you could end up not getting enough calories to properly fuel your body.