Food intolerances and changing diets....

Options
I'm all for eating better. My problem is that I have IBS, and so my body has established foods that I am not to eat without it throwing a four-day tantrum. And most of these are the lovely dark green cruciferous vegetables that should be the foundation of my diet. I also have a fructose intolerance, so no fruit, and careful with the starch. And I have learned that nightshades increase my chronic pain.

Is anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing to work around it?

Replies

• fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi, don't know much about IBS resp. appropriate diet. I am histamine intolerant, I found that by changing whole lifestyle and removing all junk food and little limiting histamine intesive food I have no problems anymore. Just wanted to say, it looks like body is able to fight with all kind of intolerances better, when you switch to active lifestyle and remove as much junk food as possible. (not only my experience)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you can, just within your daily calorie allowance. At the end of the day, calories are what matter for weight loss.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Why should dark green cruciferous vegetables be the foundation of your diet? If they make you sick, they shouldn’t.

I have IBS as well, and I work around my trigger foods just like you. I’m not quite as limited, but the same principles apply. I eat a lot of the things I can eat, and especially load up on the veggies that my tummy agrees with. The veggies that work best for both my insides and my taste are tomato and spinach, so I put them in pretty much everything.

Your list of trigger foods sounds quite restricting, so if possible, consider working with a nutritionist to make sure you get all the necessary nutrients. I do also agree with @fitom80 that staying active and eating less sugary and fatty foods (I don’t like calling any food junk) helps keep my IBS symptoms away.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    My mom's IBS is worse in times of increased stress. When that goes away, she is able to relax her IBS rules.

What helps her is to eat foods with insoluble fiber later in the meal, so salad last. She's been a whole wheat flour person all my life, but white flour bread is easier for her when her IBS flares up.

She also takes this brand of acacia powder https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/suplmts_acacia/tummy-fiber-acacia-senegal-pouch/

Lots of IBS tips on that site (with which I have no financial interest.)
  • MamaBear314
    MamaBear314 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don’t have IBS, but I work around some food allergies and sensitivities thanks to OAS. Tree nuts, bananas, avocados, melons, some raw fruits, and most raw vegetables are off the table for me. They also get considerably worse during peak pollen seasons (both locally and where the produce was grown). So sometimes I can eat a mango without an itchy throat and hives and sometimes I can’t. It can be very frustrating and restricting.

I’m still trying to find the best balance for myself. It can be so easy to fall back on cheap carbs and convenience foods since of course those don’t cause a reaction (other than weight gain lol). Lately I’ve been doing an increase in protein and the veggies I can eat. Lots and lots of chicken, lentils, and sweet potatoes.

Good luck!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Fittom80, I am a believer in slow food and "real food". My boyfriend had weight loss surgery so can't have too many carbs and sugars, and my girlfriend has many of my issues with nightshades and has a raw egg intolerance, and a tree nut allergy. So we cook from scratch and eat real food. We've got a real interest in getting into eating local and seasonal, too, along with an interest in historical cookery.

Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Eat the foods you can, just within your daily calorie allowance. At the end of the day, calories are what matter for weight loss.
    That's what I'm hoping. It would be much easier, though, if I could fill up on veggies. (sigh)

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping. It would be much easier, though, if I could fill up on veggies. (sigh)

Have you actually worked through a proper elimination diet with a nutritionist / naturopath? I did this for FODMAP testing and it's so important to identify the actual trigger foods. I found that there are still plenty of vegetables I can eat, some in higher quantities than others.

If you haven't already, I would recommend purchasing the Monash University FODMAP app and checking out the foods listed. You may be ok with some groups and not with others.
    Options
    @naomi8888: I agree that that's worth doing; I'll look into that.