Total carbs VS net carbs

Options
Are all carbs created equal?

I'm aiming to discover the consensus of the MFP community. Foods become more desirable when we deduct dietary fiber to determine "net carbs."

How do you personally calculate your carb consumption?
(A) A carb is a carb ! They all count!
(B) I take into consideration the composition and only use net carbs.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Fiber isn’t converted into calories by humans. In some parts of the world net carbs are listed instead of gross carbs. If you are diabetic, as I am, knowing the net carbs is essential because net carbs is what affects blood glucose.

You may be thinking about the “simple carbs versus complex carbs” dispute. Net carbs versus total carbs is not controversial. It’s nice to know the fiber content of a food if you want regular bowel movements, but fiber is not the same as sugar or starch in terms of how your body uses it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    As I am not low carb I don't care whether what I have added is total or net carbs as long as the calories are correct. Most countries actually have net carbs on their nutritional labels anyway.

While a calorie is a calorie, not all foods are created equal because their nutritional content varies significantly. However, carbs are not evil and something to be avoided unless you have a medical condition which does better by reducing carbs. There are many on these boards who have had huge success while having their carb consumption at 40% or higher.
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I’m really trying to limit my carb intake, so I am in the A category.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    C. Some carby foods, like rice & beans, fill me up better than others, like foods made from flour. I do better when I focus on some carbs and limit others. I don't look at net carbs, but I do try to hit my fiber goal.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Fiber isn’t converted into calories by humans. In some parts of the world net carbs are listed instead of gross carbs. If you are diabetic, as I am, knowing the net carbs is essential because net carbs is what affects blood glucose.

You may be thinking about the “simple carbs versus complex carbs” dispute. Net carbs versus total carbs is not controversial. It’s nice to know the fiber content of a food if you want regular bowel movements, but fiber is not the same as sugar or starch in terms of how your body uses it.

Count me in this same category. When I look up food I always indicate the food, and want the net carb. It helps lots for food/meal planning/medication planning being a diabetic.

I also do track fiber numbers, I do not need to track sugar numbers, because of what I eat that is not an issue at all. So I would rather track fiber.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,192 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is important to me, not just calories, so I strive to hit a protein minimum and a fats minimum (preferring MUFA/PUFA and O-3/O-6 balance), plus plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits.

I literally don't pay any attention to carb intake, which tended to run around 150g-ish while I was losing weight, and now 200g-ish during maintenance.

Fiber is a good thing (within reason ;) ), but my veggie/fruit goals usually take care of that without explicit attention.

YMMV, though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I would say that of course fiber is distinct, not because it counts or doesn't as a g of carbs (I disagree about carbs being inherently undesirable), but because fiber is generally a positive in the diet that one might want to pay specific attention to. I personally aim for at least 35 g and often get quite a bit more.

If you are keto, net carbs are what matter, so log fiber and subtract it from total carbs (assuming you are using US or Canadian entries, other entries are already net carbs). If not keto, I'd still log fiber, but I wouldn't subtract it -- the overall MFP goals are more about balance and I think that would make it more confusing.

I've never cared about my fat vs carb totals, though -- I care about protein, getting in good sources of healthy fats like fatty fish, nuts and seeds, avocado, olives, and about fiber. (Although as Ann might point out, SOME may naturally go too low on fat if they don't watch it. My natural preferences always tend to be a bit higher fat, lower carb (not low carb), so I don't worry about overall fat or carbs. I do keep an eye on sat fat (or really I just tend to limit the sources of it -- although not around the holidays!)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't count carbs. I aim to hit my protein and fiber goals while staying within my calories. That's what works for me. :smile:
  • 4116CS
    4116CS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Could you share your % for each please 💫
  • _Pau_2014_
    _Pau_2014_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use net carbs and don’t count fiber because a) your body needs it for a regular number 2 :D and it does not get digested so only passes thru
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Don’t consider them at all, one way or the other. Calorie deficit is my bottom line. Sensible eating of any food in moderation.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I go for option c, since I don't have any medical conditions requiring I limit carbs.

C) Ignore carbs since they are only a problem if they are consumed to such excess that you're getting insufficient dietary fat or protein.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Neither and both? I don't track carbohydrates but I do track fiber because it helps keep me satiated and helps with bowel movements. I don't really care what my "net carbs" are though. I just try to get enough protein and fat because those are harder for me to meet while in a calorie deficit.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Heathe_r wrote: »
    Are all carbs created equal?

I'm aiming to discover the consensus of the MFP community. Foods become more desirable when we deduct dietary fiber to determine "net carbs."

There can be no consensus because people who count carbs do so for different reasons. The two most obvious: diabetics using insulin need to count total carbs (it is recommended but not as strictly for other diabetics). Those on the ketogenic diet count net carbs.

I am T2Dm managed by diet and exercise only. I count total carbs and I do not break them down into their categories with the exception of counting fiber. Counting sugar is not necessary for me.