IF for active people?

Options
After reading this article I'm tempted to try IF: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1107836?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR1miweST02UkY1onGW5jMXulVMGTNTmchA9ojDb2OUJ77pdmC2XVokMEi0

I could probably restrict eating for a block of hours a day and see what happens. I just can't decide when to start.

I workout from 5:45-7:45am (cardio and strength) and from 5-6pm (biking home from work) weekdays. I go to bed at 9:30 and wake up at 5:20am.

Any thoughts on the best time to fast and still fuel my activities in the healthiest way?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    How long do you plan to fast? If you're doing OMAD, I found the best time to eat my meal was in the evening, regardless of when I worked out...I found better quality sleep when I had a full stomach.

If you're doing a time block, I would personally focus later in the day...maybe late lunch and dinner after you bike home from work. I think it's personal preference...I generally have no appetite immediately after working out and often work out/run faster, so my preference was later eating window.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Right now I eat every 2-3 hours, so I figured I'd start fasting for 12 hours and then try to build from there. OMAD never occurred to me. How would I do my weekend bike rides? I go out for 4-5 hours and I have it drilled in my head to fuel every hour on long rides.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    The article promises:
    "Studies in humans show intermittent-fasting helps reduce obesity, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and inflammation. It can improve verbal memory, executive function and global cognition in adults with mild cognitive impairment." Sounds good to me (read with several coats of skepticism).

With a big meal the day before, I could easily go several hours without bonking. But the bonk could happen in the middle of my work day, too, which would be bad. And I'm not sure how far I could go without bonking if I made this drastic change in eating frequency.
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    You could go keto to get fat adapted, and then you would be using ketones for your rides instead of glucose and wouldn't need to eat every three hours. If you're to thin to do keto, you could use exogenous ketones before the ride or during.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    amandaeve wrote: »
    The article promises:
    "Studies in humans show intermittent-fasting helps reduce obesity, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and inflammation. It can improve verbal memory, executive function and global cognition in adults with mild cognitive impairment." Sounds good to me (read with several coats of skepticism).

With a big meal the day before, I could easily go several hours without bonking. But the bonk could happen in the middle of my work day, too, which would be bad. And I'm not sure how far I could go without bonking if I made this drastic change in eating frequency.

Suggest you read the studies rather than just accept at face value someone else's interpretation - especially a journalist.
    There's an awful lot of cherry picking of studies that support a hypothesis while ignoring those studies that suggest the opposite. Really evaluate those studies about how relevant they are to you (not someone else or even a lab rat!). Are you obese? Do you have insulin resistance? Do you have negative levels of inflammation etc. etc.

Deliberately go looking for the opposing view to get a rounded view - then make your decision which might just be very reasonably to experiment and see how if works out for you. (Carry a carb gel as an insurance policy wouldn't be a bad idea.)
    Maybe even consider what elite cyclists and race teams do do with all their dedicated sports nutritionists and why they do it the way they do?

Bonking to a degree is a matter of maths.
    Off the top of my head I think you can store about 15g of glycogen per kg of bodyweight (check for yourself to verify - I'm no more reliable than other voices on the internet!).
    After a VO2 max test in a sports science lab I know the point at which I'm burning 50/50 carbs and fat for fuel so can work out when bonking is a danger.
    But that 50/50 point is a pretty low level of effort (an all day event not a 4hr event if you like) - when performance/speed is my goal I'm burning through my glycogen at a much higher rate than that. Plus the issue that performance declines and fatigue increases before you bonk.
    Believe me from personal experience bonking while riding on the road isn't just inconvenient, it's very dangerous. I was so confused I cycled past a load of shops where I could have refuelled and even forgot to unclip when I stopped at a junction. That's funny, I appear to have fallen over.....

A fat adapted athlete can change those carb/fat numbers to a degree - but at what cost in performance? Again that's personal - is your goal to complete a distance or to compete or complete a distance quickly?

My longest recent ride completely unfuelled was 40 miles and I felt fine but that was fully carb loaded and at a brisk but not fast pace. If I was trying to do that 40 miles fast I would definitely have added some carbs to my drinks - maybe I would have needed them, maybe not

I have a lab tested vo2 max, but don't know when I'm burning what. Can you tell me the math for that?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    After reading this article I'm tempted to try IF: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1107836?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR1miweST02UkY1onGW5jMXulVMGTNTmchA9ojDb2OUJ77pdmC2XVokMEi0

I could probably restrict eating for a block of hours a day and see what happens. I just can't decide when to start.

I workout from 5:45-7:45am (cardio and strength) and from 5-6pm (biking home from work) weekdays. I go to bed at 9:30 and wake up at 5:20am.

Any thoughts on the best time to fast and still fuel my activities in the healthiest way?

What are you hoping to achieve by making such a change?

How long have you been cycling?

Knowing athletes, and being one, it can be illogical to think that making major changes will help us make minor improvements.

I tend to think eating and training sustainably and letting the consistent training do the physical improvements for us is how we improve performance.

Regular easy endurance, a bit of speed, hills/effort, tempo and variety are how our physiology improves our metabolism.

Azdak wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    The article promises:

Suggest you read the studies rather than just accept at face value someone else's interpretation - especially a journalist.
    There's an awful lot of cherry picking of studies that support a hypothesis while ignoring those studies that suggest the opposite. Really evaluate those studies about how relevant they are to you (not someone else or even a lab rat!). Are you obese? Do you have insulin resistance? Do you have negative levels of inflammation etc. etc.

Deliberately go looking for the opposing view to get a rounded view - then make your decision which might just be very reasonably to experiment and see how if works out for you. (Carry a carb gel as an insurance policy wouldn't be a bad idea.)
    Maybe even consider what elite cyclists and race teams do do with all their dedicated sports nutritionists and why they do it the way they do?

Bonking to a degree is a matter of maths.
    Off the top of my head I think you can store about 15g of glycogen per kg of bodyweight (check for yourself to verify - I'm no more reliable than other voices on the internet!).
    After a VO2 max test in a sports science lab I know the point at which I'm burning 50/50 carbs and fat for fuel so can work out when bonking is a danger.
    But that 50/50 point is a pretty low level of effort (an all day event not a 4hr event if you like) - when performance/speed is my goal I'm burning through my glycogen at a much higher rate than that. Plus the issue that performance declines and fatigue increases before you bonk.
    Believe me from personal experience bonking while riding on the road isn't just inconvenient, it's very dangerous. I was so confused I cycled past a load of shops where I could have refuelled and even forgot to unclip when I stopped at a junction. That's funny, I appear to have fallen over.....

A fat adapted athlete can change those carb/fat numbers to a degree - but at what cost in performance? Again that's personal - is your goal to complete a distance or to compete or complete a distance quickly?

My longest recent ride completely unfuelled was 40 miles and I felt fine but that was fully carb loaded and at a brisk but not fast pace. If I was trying to do that 40 miles fast I would definitely have added some carbs to my drinks - maybe I would have needed them, maybe not

I have a lab tested vo2 max, but don't know when I'm burning what. Can you tell me the math for that?

If you have a lab tested VO2 max, the second thing they should have gone over with you (after they told you your VO2max) was your RER ratios at different levels of effort.

RER is respiratory exchange ratio. — it is the ratio of CO2 produced compared to O2 used. It is directly affected by the blend of carbs and fats being used for fuel.

The higher the RER, the higher the percentage of carbs used as fuel. The RER at rest is about 0.70. That is when we use the highest percentage of fat as fuel. An RER of 1.0 means that carbohydrate is the predominant fuel.

Once carbohydrate becomes the predominant substrate, it indicates an intensity at which performance is peaking, but endurance will start to decline. (I can’t remember the exact RER number —it may be 0.90–for that threshold). The intensity where that starts to shift is generally 62%-67% of VO2 max.

It is in the interests of an endurance athlete to push that threshold out as far as possible. For example, if one can remain in a relatively higher % of fat as fuel at say 70% of VO2 max, that will allow a higher level of performance at a glycogen-sparing intensity.

There are limits to how far you can do on the “fat adapted” path. At higher intensities, the body cannot produce sufficient energy via beta oxidation (that’s the process of fat metabolism) to meet the metabolic demand.

But, back to your original question. I don’t know how you were tested, but there should be a printout somewhere that shows your raw data. Usually results are printed at least minute by minute and include HR, VO2, and RER, among other things.

One of the disappointments of my career was that I never had access to metabolic testing equipment. I only underwent metabolic testing once after graduate school—that was about 8 years ago and the person screwed it up, so I never did get to actual max effort.

Do any RER studies factor in the study subjects' time and consistency in training in their life?

I'm not sure how you would quantify or categorise that, but I'm fairly sure it would make a difference if the study wasn't designed well.