What was the moment you made a choice to be more healthy

Options
onxy99
onxy99 Posts: 8 Member
My choice was after a very prolonged spiral in my level of fitness. I vividly remember looking in the mirror and saying, "Who is this..." I didn't recognize myself. Contrast that with a look at my reflection walking past my patio door naked at 24, six pack abs, cut up from head to toe. I remember being pretty satisfied with myself. 18 years later I could barely walk to my car without feeling winded. My stomach was bulging, my face was swollen and I was emotionally miserable. It was truly affecting my life. So oneday I was looking in the mirror and I got so fed up i resolved to change.

I went to a gym and signed up, threw away food and bought fitness clothes, nutrition and recipe books, vitamins and a blender. Everyday from that day I would get up early and hit the gym. I would bring my food to work and watch my diet. I learned to dial into my body to build a fitness program that works for me. It worked. Everyday day I looked in the mirror and oneday I noticed the changes. It fueled my desire to see more and I kept going. I lost a total of 53 pounds. I feel great. I look great and I am happier. That is my story.

Replies

• TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add right now... just wanted to say congratulations, Onxy. You look great & did a good job! Very inspirational story! There are so many of them on here... can't wait to read them, too.
  • Pupnuzz
    Pupnuzz Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    To defend myself. I was raped. I want to be physically fit so it NEVER happens again.
  • schemingspuddy
    schemingspuddy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mine was a few different moments all of which happened within a close time. I was diagnosed with cancer, dumped by my long term bf and then I saw myself in photos which made me realise how big I’d gotten. I feel like I was in denial like oh I, not that big or I don’t look too different but then the photos were so unflattering I couldn’t recognise myself. I couldn’t believe that’s how the outside world sees me whereas in my head I was still the slim girl from before.

At my heaviest I was 7 stone overweight. I’ve lost a bit so I’m now 5 stone over which I’m hoping to lose during the first half of 2020.

I knew I had been putting on weight but I used to be really healthy before and still had that old confidence in my head despite what the mirror was showing me. After the above events, my confidence dropped as I realised I had ballooned up and wasn’t attractive at all. It took a while but I’ve finally accepted that I’m just not happy with myself at the moment and losing weight will benefit me and my health greatly. I just hope I stick to it as I’ve tried on and off for the last 2 years and not had good results other than losing a stone here and there and putting it back on.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I was told that they were going to put me one cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetic pills all at once. I refused to be that person. Two years later the doctor couldn’t believe my physical. He said never have I seen such a clean physical. I just need to keep it up. I’m not going to lie it’s so hard.
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    From the sports I played in high school. I was actually more of a healthy eater before I got diagnosed with Crohns in 2008. Now I have to avoid a lot of the healthy foods and be extra picky.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was on a business trip with my older, average weight female boss. Despite being at my heaviest weight ever, I felt pretty ok with my body image and such. But on that trip I had a tough time keeping up with my boss and felt winded on stairs and had pains in my legs and ankles from walking. It really freaked me out because I'd always been obese but had never had trouble keeping up with other people until then. I started living a healthier life that week (back in 2008) and then ramped things up WAY more with MFP in 2013 and totally changed my body & health.
  • russ_m_19
    russ_m_19 Posts: 152 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Back in 2007, I went to a pool party at a friend's house, and when I went to change into my swim trunks, I looked in the mirror at my 237 lb body and thought, "this has got to change." I haven't looked back since.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Good job on choosing a healthier lifestyle, Onxy!

Mine wasn't so much a single moment as a series of incremental moments. It started when I was 47 and spotted a cable/weight machine on sale and decided I really should do some resistance training to improve my bone density. I kept reading about lifting (free weights) on here and bought myself a very beginner-level barbell a few years later. I didn't want to drop a whole lot of money on something I might not continue. I outgrew it fairly quickly and moved up to a bigger barbell, with more weight plates. Although the junior bar is still around, it's on my bench (formerly belonged to SO, was just gathering dust at his house). Decided I really really enjoyed lifting and it was something I was going to stick with so I got a power rack and an Olympic barbell, and even more weight plates. I actually still use the original cable machine quite a bit.

Recently acquired a rowing machine and am looking forward to turning a 13 x 13 area of the basement into a "real" planned gym area, instead of just plopping bits of equipment all over the place.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    These are really inspiring stories. Keep it up! Great thread.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Moments: In January and April of 2019
    when teams of highly skilled surgeons, nurses and therapists replaced my very bad hips making me comfortably and happily mobile again giving me the ability and impetus to take better control of ny health, weight and fitness.