Thinking of buying Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitor...

Options
I am getting back into biking and running. I carry an iPhone XR. What heart rate monitor should I be considering buying and why?

Last time I owned a heart-rate monitor was before smartphones.

Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PQLL8KD/?coliid=I313BQCA16K84K&colid=3Y8FL919QEVQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a Wahoo TICKR chest strap and am very pleased with it so far - used for indoor and outdoor cycling. Mostly paired to a cycle computer or exercise bike but also pairs to my phone (there's a Wahoo app available for download). Price was also good.

Over the years I've not been impressed with the longevity and connectivity of Polar straps. My previous Garmin was better than the Polar straps but subject to odd weird and wonderful numbers that couldn't be true.

DCRainmaker is a good site for tech reviews and comparisons.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have used a Wahoo TickrX for years. It broadcasts in Bluetooth (to connect to my phone-which is running Runkeeper) and ANT+ (to connect to my Garmin) at the same time. It’s roughly 100000000% more reliable and durable than any Polar I have had.

My speed and cadence sensors on my bike are also Wahoo and they also broadcast in BT & ANT+ at the same time and all work well together with the Wahoo app (plus Runkeeper) and my Garmin.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have a Wahoo Tickr as well. It has lasted for years, although I've replaced the strap once for about $10. I also have the Wahoo cycling cadence and speed sensors. I put the cadence sensor on my shoe, so it works when I go to a spin class as well.

I've heard bad things about the more advanced Wahoo straps, such as the Tickr X or Tickr Fit. (But I don't have them.)

More recently, I've gotten a Garmin watch (Vivoactive 3m), which has continual optical HR and have really liked it. You are also able to get the watch to monitor the chest strap, which is neat, but not really necessary in most cases. Over-all, I think the watch really shines for running.
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    eric2light wrote: »

Yes.

And you don’t have to use the Wahoo app. I pair the HRM with my phone and then use Runkeeper. You can use the Wahoo app, but I like the detailed & customized audio prompts when I’m running, so I use Runkeeper.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options

Well, I don't know if you'll be ok, but you will be able to track hr using your phone.
  • eric2light
    Options

Well, I don't know if you'll be ok, but you will be able to track hr using your phone.

@sijomial Your telling me that the watch is a good investment? Sorry, I seem a bit dense today.

• sijomial
    Options

@sijomial Your telling me that the watch is a good investment? Sorry, I seem a bit dense today.

That post wasn't from me but I think @Jthanmyfitnesspal was just making a little joke.
  • eric2light
    Options

Yes.

And you don’t have to use the Wahoo app. I pair the HRM with my phone and then use Runkeeper. You can use the Wahoo app, but I like the detailed & customized audio prompts when I’m running, so I use Runkeeper.

So, Runkeeper is what you recommend for running, @Duck_Puddle? And it works well with the Wahoo-TICKR?

Anyone got a a recommendation for biking?
  • sijomial
    Options
    Strava is the predominant cycling app. It has a social aspect too. I find the competitive element when you compare your times against others and against your previous attempts over defined segments/routes to be very motivational. Sometimes it's also very disappointing to compare yourself against others!

Strava also does running and walking BTW.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Strava has stated that it wants to be a social hub, not a tracker. The tracking features are very limited. You are really meant to track with other apps and sinc to Strava. Strava is definitely the most popular "exercise social networking" app.

If you buy a Tickr (or Garmin) HR strap, you can track almost any exercise with the very simple Wahoo Fitness App. (But not swimming.) I used to do this all the time and I really liked it. You can automatically upload to Strava, if you like. You could also track your running with Runkeeper, Runtastic, Nike runner, Training Peaks, or any number of other running apps, uploading to Strava, if desired. For cycling, its nice (but not essential) to buy the speed and cadence sensors from Wahoo or Garmin as well, particularly if you want to put your bike on a stationary trainer. A good tracking app for cycling is RideWithGPS, which also serves to guide you on a new ride.

If you buy a Garmin watch, you can track everything, including swimming. You also get all the lifestyle monitoring stuff (steps, sleep, etc.). For example, it adds calories to your MFP diary if you have a particularly active day. I have had very good luck with my Vivoactive 3m, which is now sold for under $200 because it is the old model. Note that the watch will monitor the Wahoo or Garmin cadence/speed sensors and will also monitor the HR strap, but it also has built-in optical HR, so that's pretty unnecessary in most cases.

The hardest thing about Garmin is picking the watch because they have so many! My approach was to start cheap.

Capeech?

Best of luck!
  • Duck_Puddle
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Strava isn’t great as a running tracking app. It’s good for the social side.

Just about any other tracking app will be preferred as an actual tracking tool for a run - most will upload to Strava after the fact.

I use Runkeeper because I use the app primarily for having the voice prompts during my run. I can customize what stats I hear and how often I hear them. I don’t know what other apps have the same level of customization. The Wahoo app is very limited for voice prompts (eg-it won’t tell you pace-which is kind of the most important stat for a runner, where Runkeeper will tell me average, current, and split pace as often as I want).

So I use Runkeeper. I can confirm Wahoo works with Runkeeper. I am sure it also works with others as well.

• allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I use the polar h10 with a polar watch. I love it! Extremely accurate.
  • eric2light
    Options
    I'm soooo grateful for all this help!

@Jthanmyfitnesspal , @sijomial and everyone:

If I want to go with the Wahoo TICKR for heart rate, what do I need for:

* Bike speed and cadence monitoring?
    * What watch would I get, esp. for swimming (when I choose to upgrade to having a watch)

Assume I don't want to spend lots of money.

• Duck_Puddle
    Options
    If you get the TickrX rather than the tickr it will handle swimming for you (it has a memory feature so you can swim or anything you want without the phone then upload the workout after).

Wahoo speed and cadence sensors work with the Wahoo app on the phone now and will also work with a Garmin watch when you choose to get one.

You don’t need to invest in a watch right away. If you have the money, go ahead. But i would wait until you find out exactly what you enjoy doing, what features you want and which you can do without. That will make a big difference in the money you spend and your satisfaction with the device.
  • eric2light
    Options
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

Those are the things I talked about.

And as for a watch, there are probably 299485959505 watches on the market that will fit your needs (whatever they end up being). I would strongly suggest working with free phone apps and figuring out what you use, what you like, and what is missing. Use that info to decide which watch (if any) to get.

Even the cheaper good watches (that will be suitable for a biker/runner with speed/cadence sensors and things) run a couple/few hundred dollars. I wouldn’t spend that kind of money if I didn’t know what I wanted.
  • sijomial
    Options
    I'm a cyclist (only) so went for a cycling computer - Garmin Edge 1000.
    The navigation element is essential for the type of riding I do.
    But Wahoo recently have made huge inroads into that market (but no personal experience) and seem to be getting very good reviews/feedback from happy users.

But on one long ride I was chatting to someone who rode right across Europe just using his phone for navigation so that's another possibility. Waterproofing needs to be taken care off (at least in England!).

Speed is taken care of by GPS, previously I used a Garmin crank mounted cadence sensor but switched to a Wahoo shoe mounted unit which is better for me as my mileage is split across a few different bikes.

@NorthCascades might be able to help with Garmin watch recommendations.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H10 and love it. Highly recommend it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have a couple old Polar straps that I used with my phone for a couple years. I was aggravated by the whole process at least once a week and I finally caved and bought a Garmin watch. It was such PITA to use my phone to start and stop runs, keep the damned HRM connected, and find apps that worked. It is soooooo much nicer with watch. I've since upgraded to get even more features (maps, turn by turn, and more) and I will never go back to using my phone.

Just thought I'd throw my experience out there. It seemed like a good idea to me at the time but turned out to be extremely frustrating.

Good luck.