Can I/should I do anything?

Options
For the past 18 months or so I’ve been really focused on fat loss and getting fitter. Lost over 100 pounds and I feel so much better both physically and mentally.
My sister is 55 years old and morbidly obese with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and knee and hip pain. The knee and hip pains prevent her from doing some pretty normal things (grocery shopping, housework etc). Her doctor says the pains are due to excessive weight on the joints.
I want to encourage her to start improving her health (want her to feel as good as I do!) but I’m afraid any discussion of health will turn her off. I’ve tried in the past without any positive affect.

Is there a good way to approach this or should I just continue to hope she finds her own way as I did? Can anything I do or say help?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep. You can't make someone else want it. You can be supportive of her efforts, but that's about it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It's a tough situation. They have to want it, and the only thing you can really do is offer positive reinforcement (only reinforce, don't try to enforce), and to make it as easy for her as possible to obtain that (e.g. don't put her in situations that make it easy to overeat, even if you're able to control it).
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. I feel like I already knew what the community would say when I posted but was wishing!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    For the past 18 months or so I’ve been really focused on fat loss and getting fitter. Lost over 100 pounds and I feel so much better both physically and mentally.
    My sister is 55 years old and morbidly obese with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and knee and hip pain. The knee and hip pains prevent her from doing some pretty normal things (grocery shopping, housework etc). Her doctor says the pains are due to excessive weight on the joints.
    I want to encourage her to start improving her health (want her to feel as good as I do!) but I’m afraid any discussion of health will turn her off. I’ve tried in the past without any positive affect.

Is there a good way to approach this or should I just continue to hope she finds her own way as I did? Can anything I do or say help?

Unfortunately, she is aware that you've lost a significant amount of weight, yet she's not reached out to you, which likely means she's not ready for your help.

Did your joints use to hurt too? That could be a gentle lead-in. But I'm not very optimistic. :(
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    All 3 of my siblings are morbidly obese. I hate seeing them that way and would love to see all of them at a healthier weight. That being said, I can't see any good coming from a conversation about their weight and strategies to help. It is their body and their choice and any suggestions will most likely result in negative feelings towards me. My plan is to sit back and say nothing but offer my support if they ask me how I lost my weight.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options

No. For too many people food is an addiction, and you can't make any addict get sober and healthy just by wanting. They have to want to change. I had to first break my food addiction and bingeing habits, and once I had that dealt with, I could begin to say, "I want to eat smaller portions", and after I was okay with that (Took a while, as I had some very old fears related to adolescent food insecurity) I could restrict calories and just remind myself that in three months I'm a quarter of the way to where I want to be, that will be progress enough to see, and to have faith in myself.

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    There is a good chance that even if she was ready to lose weight she would want to get advice from someone else. If she has tried and failed in the past she may be very uncomfortable involving people who are very close.

Even though I am not the one that brings it up I try not to talk about my own weight loss too much in front of close family members that need to lose weight. I do not want anyone to feel like they are competing with me. I also do not want them to think I am judging what they are eating when we eat together or that they are somehow letting me down if they go through a rough spot or just fail altogether.

Very few people knew when I started this last time. I hid it for as long as I could. I actually kept trying to lie about it even after it was super obvious I was losing.

My partners know that I am working on weight loss. Outside of them, no. I have ADHD, I've started many projects with great fanfare and had them peter off into nothing. So I want to just stay quiet and prove that I can do it.

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Dealing with morbidly obese people can be a lot like dealing with drug addicts, you can't do anything if they don't want to change. You could certainly help her but she has to want to accept the help.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I have to keep my mouth shut and my heart open. That is even harder for me than going to the gym on a cold morning or passing on the pecan pie!! But I will do it and hope she has her own aha moment! If that happens, I know she will have to find her own way so I’ll answer when asked and only if asked.
    Funny how writing that down makes me feel better.