Kale has 0 calories!

Options
Hello, am new! Logged 3 cups of kale with the green checkmark. It comes up as 0 calories. What am I missing?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Nothing except water has zero calories.
    Kale has about 30 calories per cup chopped. Even entries with a green check can be incorrect. Use values from the USDA for better accuracy, and a food scale is even more accurate than measuring cups.
  • debsms2020
    debsms2020 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. What does the green check mark mean?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    debsms2020 wrote: »

It means that a certain number of users have manually marked that the entry is good. It doesn't mean that any "authority" has validated that it is correct or that anybody at MFP is monitoring or checking it.

The issue is that since this is basically crowd-sourced verification, they can be wrong. The specific issue with the kale entry, if I recall correctly, is that it used to be right and then became incorrect after it was verified.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

It means that a certain number of users have manually marked that the entry is good. It doesn't mean that any "authority" has validated that it is correct or that anybody at MFP is monitoring or checking it.

The issue is that since this is basically crowd-sourced verification, they can be wrong. The specific issue with the kale entry, if I recall correctly, is that it used to be right and then became incorrect after it was verified.

...because there aren't enough problems, now hoodoo is involved.

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Actually no. A green checkmark means the information entered is complete. You can create a food with only calorie info, and leave everything else blank, and it'll show in the database. If you take the time to enter all the nutritional data as well, it gets checkmarked, even if you made everything up.
  • cmriverside
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

Actually no. A green checkmark means the information entered is complete. You can create a food with only calorie info, and leave everything else blank, and it'll show in the database. If you take the time to enter all the nutritional data as well, it gets checkmarked, even if you made everything up.
    Huh. I thouhgt Jane was right...

But, I went and found this:

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032273292-What-does-the-check-mark-mean-
    What does the check mark mean?

4 months ago Updated

When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a509904 .

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for509904foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a 509904that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time.

Just because food is not a509904food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information.

We have retired the asterisk (*) previously used on the MyFitnessPal website to note food listings created by MyFitnessPal users.

Facebook

• janejellyroll
    Options

You're right - it looks like they changed it a few months ago.

That's even more unfortunate, because there are many foods with a checkmark that are completely inaccurate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032273292-What-does-the-check-mark-mean-

4 months ago Updated

When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a .

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time.

Just because food is not a food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information.

We have retired the asterisk (*) previously used on the MyFitnessPal website to note food listings created by MyFitnessPal users.

Facebook

Thanks for looking that up.
  • cmriverside
    edited January 2020
    Options

4 months ago Updated

When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a .

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time.

Just because food is not a food does not mean it has inaccurate nutrition information.

Facebook

Thanks for looking that up.

More ridiculous changes.

Not that I ever believed the

:wink:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA recently changed the platform for their database and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    <==== is currently sticking "free" kale in his mouth... lol