Sciatica out of no where please help

Options
jacksarcia1
jacksarcia1 Posts: 25 Member
Well not out of no where but still need help...
I train a lot and do jiu jitsu a few times a week. Had some lower back pain that started a few weeks back but nothing serious. I just felt a little sore and it always seemed better after a workout.

2 days ago I woke up with severe sciatica. Down my left leg all the way to the foot. Sharp pain, numbness and tingling. Mo back pain. Anybody been through this? How long? What worked, what didnt??
Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that could cause sciatica.

#1- Spinal injury
    #2- Weakness of lower back or abdominal muscles
    #3- lordosis (curved lower back)

Seems like the most likely problem is core weakness/low back weakness.

Lower back tightness can lead to sciatica, low back pain can be from either a weak low back or a low back that has to support more of the weight/effort because it's compensating for weak abs.

I would suggest taking a break from JJ and doing stretches of the lower back until it improves. Then I would train both the lower back and abs to strengthen both which would help prevent it from happening again.

Another thing you can do is after training or rolling in JJ if your back fills tight or hurts, take a shower (as I would assume is normal after JJ) but alternate hot (as you can tolerate without burning) and cold as you can get for 10 minutes on the low back. Then, make a bag of ice, crush it up and lay on the floor with it under you on your lower back. Don't use a towel or have a shirt on. The ice may be uncomfortable but you'll need to have the cold penetrate deep to help. Icing may prevent the swelling that is leading to the sciatica.

It may not be a bad idea to see a chiropractor or MD to make sure you don't have a structural issue, a bad disc can also cause sciatica.

• jacksarcia1
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »

#1- Spinal injury

Lower back tightness can lead to sciatica, low back pain can be from either a weak low back or a low back that has to support more of the weight/effort because it's compensating for weak abs.

I would suggest taking a break from JJ and doing stretches of the lower back until it improves. Then I would train both the lower back and abs to strengthen both which would help prevent it from happening again.

Another thing you can do is after training or rolling in JJ if your back fills tight or hurts, take a shower (as I would assume is normal after JJ) but alternate hot (as you can tolerate without burning) and cold as you can get for 10 minutes on the low back. Then, make a bag of ice, crush it up and lay on the floor with it under you on your lower back. Don't use a towel or have a shirt on. The ice may be uncomfortable but you'll need to have the cold penetrate deep to help. Icing may prevent the swelling that is leading to the sciatica.

It may not be a bad idea to see a chiropractor or MD to make sure you don't have a structural issue, a bad disc can also cause sciatica.

You made a point of the core/abs weakness. In the last 2 weeks I began incorporating leg lifts into my workout. I'm doing them upright on a dip bar. This could really be the cause as it's the most recent addition to my workout. Thank you for all the advice I will follow through with heat and ice therapy.
  • liftingbro
    Options

#1- Spinal injury

You made a point of the core/abs weakness. In the last 2 weeks I began incorporating leg lifts into my workout. I'm doing them upright on a dip bar. This could really be the cause as it's the most recent addition to my workout. Thank you for all the advice I will follow through with heat and ice therapy.

I would recommend also making sure you are balancing the leg lifts with lower back exercises like deadlifts, back extensions...ect. Only start this when the sciatica clears up though.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,802 Member
    Options
    Massage. Sitting on a tennis ball. Those things helped me. Find a knowledgeable masseuse
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Massage. Sitting on a tennis ball. Those things helped me. Find a knowledgeable masseuse

Yes, massage may help as well.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    massage and acupressure to the piriformis was what relieved my sciatica. A still roller on my piriformis and IT band along with some hip and hamstring stretches over time are what relieve my pain.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

But, I would suggest a therapist. Not a “masseuse”. In Canada there are registered therapists with 2200-3500hr diploma programs and they further their studies yearly. I know there are trained therapists all over the world with these qualifications. I was one. Otherwise you don’t know if you are getting a massage from someone with a weekend course, a month long course, or if they have any knowledge of proper rehab and recovery after an injury. Ask many questions if you go this route. I was trained in proper mobility assessment, rehab including gym work, as well as the standard soft tissue work and safe stretching for specific conditions. You want someone who can do that.

In the meantime, walk. And lay on the floor with a big stack of pillows under your knees. When you can do it without spasm, do very gentle hamstring stretches to start then move to hip and glute stretches. But don’t forget the walking.
  • liftingbro
    Options

But, I would suggest a therapist. Not a “masseuse”. In Canada there are registered therapists with 2200-3500hr diploma programs and they further their studies yearly. I know there are trained therapists all over the world with these qualifications. I was one. Otherwise you don’t know if you are getting a massage from someone with a weekend course, a month long course, or if they have any knowledge of proper rehab and recovery after an injury. Ask many questions if you go this route. I was trained in proper mobility assessment, rehab including gym work, as well as the standard soft tissue work and safe stretching for specific conditions. You want someone who can do that.

In the meantime, walk. And lay on the floor with a big stack of pillows under your knees. When you can do it without spasm, do very gentle hamstring stretches to start then move to hip and glute stretches. But don’t forget the walking.
    Yes, there's a difference. Here in the US it's a Clinical Massage Therapist that you'd want not just a masseuse.

I'm a trainer, and I have a lady that's a Clinical Massage Therapist that I refer clients to. It can really make a big difference for some people.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    massage and acupressure to the piriformis was what relieved my sciatica. A still roller on my piriformis and IT band along with some hip and hamstring stretches over time are what relieve my pain.

Along with this, some sciatica also are affected by the glutes on their way down.

A combined glute/piriformis stretch may be enough to relieve the pressure on the nerve.

If I stetch glutes when I first sense it coming on I can ward it off - unless I've really done something that causes the piriformis to be the major/only reason for the pinch.

And that specific stretch is pretty hard to hit anyway if glutes are tight.

Sit in chair right now and test both sides.
    Ankle up to opposite leg knee/thigh.
    Straight back, and bend upper body down to crossed leg.
    Do both sides feel equally tight?
    If not, is tighter side on sciatica side?

Just search youtube for piriformis stretch.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Sciatica is a symptom not an injury or disease. You would be best served seeing a doctor or physical therapist to determine the root cause and proper treatment,

If you want to go with the Internet research/suggestions, Bob and Brad, "The Most Famous Physical Therapists on the Internet" have a number of videos on sciatica as well as other orthopedic issues. They are a bit corny sometimes but between them have over 50 years of PT experience.

Sample video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8HW80FczpY
  • jacksarcia1
    Options

Thank you for the info. I'm having a tough time because I cannot get to sleep due to the pain and if I do fall asleep I wake up every hour or so in quite sever pain from laying in bed. Maybe I should move to sleeping on the hard floor?
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Sciatica is a symptom not an injury or disease. You would be best served seeing a doctor or physical therapist to determine the root cause and proper treatment,

If you want to go with the Internet research/suggestions, Bob and Brad, "The Most Famous Physical Therapists on the Internet" have a number of videos on sciatica as well as other orthopedic issues. They are a bit corny sometimes but between them have over 50 years of PT experience.

Sample video:

This was extremely helpful! I stumbled across these guys the other day while wincing in pain and frantically searching the internet. As I mentioned earlier I had just incorporated leg lifts into my work out but also incorporated squats for the 1st time in my life ( yes, I know, but I'm new to fitness) and also, during a drill in my jiu jitsu class where you pop up from a seated position to a kneeling position I felt some strange tension at my left piriformis. I believe I strained it and then did more damage through ignorance. This video really helped.
    I'm going to make a new post seeking info on that subject. Thank you to everyone who helped me out. I'm calling a PT in my area tomorrow.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Sample video:

This was extremely helpful! I stumbled across these guys the other day while wincing in pain and frantically searching the internet. As I mentioned earlier I had just incorporated leg lifts into my work out but also incorporated squats for the 1st time in my life ( yes, I know, but I'm new to fitness) and also, during a drill in my jiu jitsu class where you pop up from a seated position to a kneeling position I felt some strange tension at my left piriformis. I believe I strained it and then did more damage through ignorance. This video really helped.
    I'm going to make a new post seeking info on that subject. Thank you to everyone who helped me out. I'm calling a PT in my area tomorrow.

From personal experience issues involving the piriformis, psoas, and SI joint involving too much sitting (work, studying, driving, etc) can really bring on bad sciatic pain (like 4 days on the floor crawling to the bathroom type pain).

Good luck.
  • jacksarcia1
    Options

Sample video:

From personal experience issues involving the piriformis, psoas, and SI joint involving too much sitting (work, studying, driving, etc) can really bring on bad sciatic pain (like 4 days on the floor crawling to the bathroom type pain).

Good luck.

I'm there now during the night. Laying down is torture but I'm so dang tired lol. I'll be alright, I'm going to see a doc. Thanks
  • liftingbro
    Options

Sample video:

It's not and injury or disease but it can certainly be caused by both.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Sample video:

It's not and injury or disease but it can certainly be caused by both.

Exactly, that is why one needs to determine the root cause to find the proper treatment, not just start some random sets of whatever.
  • jacksarcia1
    Options
    Doc diagnosed a bulging disc but says I'm going to be alright
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Doc diagnosed a bulging disc but says I'm going to be alright

What did the doctor recommend?