Evening eating...

Options
I have long heard the rule “don’t eat after 7” or “no carbs after 7” but I haven’t come across any information to back that up. I would love to know who believes/disbelieves in that rule and why? I was always a calories in- calories out kind of person. But dammit I want a glass of wine and some popcorn tonight.

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. Last time I was regularly tracking I had extremely slow loss and always wondered if my evening snack was doing it. The calories were always on point and I was very conservative about logging workouts.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. Last time I was regularly tracking I had extremely slow loss and always wondered if my evening snack was doing it. The calories were always on point and I was very conservative about logging workouts.

Logging errors are very common and they can slow progress. Other times, it's expectations being too high. Time of day you are eating isn't the issue. Were you using a food scale, measuring cups, scanning packages and using that weight, or just eyeballing foods. Were you confirming that the entries you were using to log are accurate? I know these sound silly, but they can make a big difference in your progress. Additionally, if you were given the 1200 calorie target, it is possible, depending on height and weight, that it isn't possible to lose 2 lbs/week (I'm guessing that's what you aimed for, but it's not always a reasonable target, forgive my assumption).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    They myth may have different explanations. I understood it to be that food needs to be digested before you go to sleep. If not, all undigested food will be converted to fat.

The reality is that unless food causes sleep issues, acid reflux, or crumbs in bed you can eat right up until the time you fall asleep.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    The timing of what you eat has very minimal impact on anything, other than the mentioned acid reflux and such.

I think a lot of people have that wine and popcorn you mention, but after they have eaten adequate food for the day. So they believe it works, and it might for them. But you could just as easily eat lighter in the day hours, and munch (or drink) later at night, and still lose weight.

For the vast majority of people, lack of results is due to logging errors. Missing things, overestimating calorie burns, underestimating portions, etc.

But timing... not really. It's after 9:30 PM here and we are just getting ready to eat dinner. And for me, that will be 1.000 calories or so. And I'll probably snack before going to sleep later. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    They myth may have different explanations. I understood it to be that food needs to be digested before you go to sleep. If not, all undigested food will be converted to fat.

The reality is that unless food causes sleep issues, acid reflux, or crumbs in bed you can eat right up until the time you fall asleep.

Or choking on that last mouthful of food you haven't swallowed yet when you fall asleep. :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

This is why it's good to eat ice cream in bed... no crumbs. :laugh:

But you may end up with sticky sheets.

Or choking on that last mouthful of food you haven't swallowed yet when you fall asleep. :smile:

It might be okay. I ate a fair amount of chicken and sweet potato while sleep walking April 2018. I am not sure exactly how much because I did not sleep log I only sleep ate.

The dogs will clean up anything I drop. :bigsmile:
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Logging errors are very common and they can slow progress. Other times, it's expectations being too high. Time of day you are eating isn't the issue. Were you using a food scale, measuring cups, scanning packages and using that weight, or just eyeballing foods. Were you confirming that the entries you were using to log are accurate? I know these sound silly, but they can make a big difference in your progress. Additionally, if you were given the 1200 calorie target, it is possible, depending on height and weight, that it isn't possible to lose 2 lbs/week (I'm guessing that's what you aimed for, but it's not always a reasonable target, forgive my assumption).

No I had my thing set for .5 lbs per week and I was losing about 1/4th lb per week. I was measuring and weighing things. Also I found many “already logged” foods that were incorrect (low) and would then scan in the correct one. Some days I would over estimate what I ate just to be sure, and I never logged my weight lifting workouts, only cardio.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 40 pounds eating a significant amount of calories at night, usually after 9pm. Nigtt eating does not hinder weight loss, unless the calories are not planned for and they cause you to go over your goal.the difference between 1/2 a pound a week and 1/4 pound a week is 125 calories a day, and can be explained by a lot of different things. But night eating isn't one of them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No I had my thing set for .5 lbs per week and I was losing about 1/4th lb per week. I was measuring and weighing things. Also I found many “already logged” foods that were incorrect (low) and would then scan in the correct one. Some days I would over estimate what I ate just to be sure, and I never logged my weight lifting workouts, only cardio.

If you are using the database entries for your walking calorie estimates then they are too high - they are gross calorie estimates and you really want to use net calorie estimates for walking.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I rarely have dinner before 8 and usually go to be right after. Hasn't hindered my weight loss in the slightest.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Over my nearly nine years of consistent tracking, the time of day I have eaten has never affected my weight loss or maintenance. Over the past couple of years I have tended to eat a larger portion of my calories later in the evening and eat a significant portion of them, a quarter to a third of my total daily calories, between 9 and 10 p.m. before bed.
  • tcoed
    tcoed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do my best to ensure that I am done with eating NLT 7 PM and nothing after, but that is only because my biggest problem is binge eating at night followed by food amnesia. Keeping to a timeframe helps to keep that bad behavior in check and my logs honest.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm a night snacker. But I log in the wine and popcorn calories when I log in my dinner foods so I know what I'm really about to do. The key for me: making sure that I log in the butter that popcorn is swimming in.