Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Jassaph wrote: »
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    How many calories do you have left?

Like 200+ calories. I don't add the calories burned from exercises. But if am to add it, i would have like 900+ calories remaining

You should be adding the calories from exercise (or a portion of them, at least. There is much debate over the best way to get accurate calorie burn numbers. 700 seems like it might be a bit high unless you're doing some extended activity like running or cycling).
  • Jassaph
    Jassaph Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Also, I see your daily calorie allowance is set to 1300. That's pretty low. Not knowing your stats, this is a pure guess but I'd be willing to bet your maintenance isn't less than 1800, and probably more.

Actually, it's less than that most times. But i drink water and green tea a lot so i don't always feel hungry even though i always do my exercise in the morning i don't feel as exhausted
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Like 200+ calories. I don't add the calories burned from exercises. But if am to add it, i would have like 900+ calories remaining

I saw from your other thread that you're planning on starting running. At some point, you're going to have to factor in the calories you're burning from exercise if you want to run successfully. Is there a reason why you don't want to eat enough?
  • Jassaph
    Options

I saw from your other thread that you're planning on starting running. At some point, you're going to have to factor in the calories you're burning from exercise if you want to run successfully. Is there a reason why you don't want to eat enough?

I want to lose weight. I've become fat. And i really need to shed it all
  • Jassaph
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

You should be adding the calories from exercise (or a portion of them, at least. There is much debate over the best way to get accurate calorie burn numbers. 700 seems like it might be a bit high unless you're doing some extended activity like running or cycling).

Yea, i ran for about 20 minutes in the morning. Then came back and did some Cardio/core exercise for 36 minutes.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Undereating is not a healthy way to lose weight. MFP intends you to eat ALL of your calories, including ALL of your exercise calories assuming they are calculated correctly. If you aren't certain whether they're calculated correctly, eat half of them, give it a month, and adjust based on whether your weight behaves as expected.
  • Jassaph
    Options

MFP gives you a calorie goal that will allow you to lose weight even while you're eating back the calories burnt from activity. The trick is making sure that you're accurately estimating your calories burnt through exercise (700 sounds a bit high for what you're describing).

If you undereat, you're going to find your energy reducing over time. That makes it harder to stay active and it makes it harder to meet your calorie goals.

The MFP method (eating back at least some of the calories burnt through exercise) is how I lost 40+ pounds and kept it off. It's how lots of other people here did it too. I wouldn't recommend something to a newbie unless I thought it was going to work. The road you're starting now, I was there at the beginning of 2015.

This is the reason why i don't eat back my calories. I don't know if the estimation is right so i take it off entirely from my daily calorie goal. MFP suggested a 1600 calorie goal for me since i labelled my activity level as sedentary but i reduced it to 1300. Well, if it's too low i guess 1500 is OK, but honestly i don't really feel as tired always (except my exercise period when am so exhausted and sweaty that i just sit on the floor for like 10 minutes to cool down a bit) other than that i think am OK.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    What's your current weight and your current targeted and purported deficit?

What has your corresponding weight change been?

Are you using a weight trend app?

How long of a timeframe are we considering?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

It happens to the best of us. It's one day and you can just move on. You can and should eat at least some of your calories earned through exercise. When your net calories drop below 1200, you can risk illness. Eat a sensible dinner with lean meat and vegetables. My go-to is shrimp and vegetables when I need a filling and low calorie dinner.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Or soup with relatively low calorie seafood or lean chicken cuts for protein and veggies.

However aiming for more than an effective 25% deficit if obese and more than 20% if overweight/normal weight has a very high probability ... not at a good place to end.

Faster not always better.
  • Jassaph
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

MFP gives you a calorie goal that will allow you to lose weight even while you're eating back the calories burnt from activity. The trick is making sure that you're accurately estimating your calories burnt through exercise (700 sounds a bit high for what you're describing).

If you undereat, you're going to find your energy reducing over time. That makes it harder to stay active and it makes it harder to meet your calorie goals.

The MFP method (eating back at least some of the calories burnt through exercise) is how I lost 40+ pounds and kept it off. It's how lots of other people here did it too. I wouldn't recommend something to a newbie unless I thought it was going to work. The road you're starting now, I was there at the beginning of 2015.

This is the reason why i don't eat back my calories. I don't know if the estimation is right so i take it off entirely from my daily calorie goal. MFP suggested a 1600 calorie goal for me since i labelled my activity level as sedentary but i reduced it to 1300. Well, if it's too low i guess 1500 is OK, but honestly i don't really feel as tired always (except my exercise period when am so exhausted and sweaty that i just sit on the floor for like 10 minutes to cool down a bit) other than that i think am OK.

Zero is the only exercise calorie estimate that you can be certain is wrong.

Why are you intentionally eating fewer calories than MFP gives you?

What is your height, current weight, and goal weight?

Well, my current height is 1.76m and i weigh 109kg, my body fat percentage is 42%(as of the last time i checked, i weighed 117kg then). My Goal weight is 75kg. I hope i hit it. I've always had a huge frame since childhood, the last i weighed 75kg was when i was in junior high, so i want to change all that. That's why am really going for it now. Just got out from the university so i want to take this chance to lose as much as i can before i go for my internship training. Started my weight loss journey about 27 days ago. And I've lost 8.4kg to be precise. So am i really taking it too far? I mean, I've finally gathered up strength and courage to do this, am i really taking it to the extreme?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Well, my current height is 1.76m and i weigh 109kg, my body fat percentage is 42%(as of the last time i checked, i weighed 117kg then). My Goal weight is 75kg. I hope i hit it. I've always had a huge frame since childhood, the last i weighed 75kg was when i was in junior high, so i want to change all that. That's why am really going for it now. Just got out from the university so i want to take this chance to lose as much as i can before i go for my internship training. Started my weight loss journey about 27 days ago. And I've lost 8.4kg to be precise. So am i really taking it too far? I mean, I've finally gathered up strength and courage to do this, am i really taking it to the extreme?

I'm glad you're motivated. Motivation is fleeting, though. You gotta build good, sustainable habits to help you through the tougher times.

Read this thread, @jassaph. It's beginner gold!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Jassaph
    Options

(For those who need the conversions: OP is about 5'9" and 240 lb, BMI 35.2, goal weight 165 lb. She's lost 18.5 pounds in 3.5 weeks.)

With your stats, you can safely set MFP for up to a 1 kg/week rate of loss if you want to, but I'd recommend 0.75 kg/week. Then, you need to eat ALL of the calories MFP gives you, including a reasonable estimate of your exercise calories as discussed above. You will lose weight if you consistently eat that number of calories because MFP includes your deficit in your calorie goal.

It's great to be motivated, but you need to do it in a healthy way. Undereating means you risk all sorts of problems, from being constantly hungry to potential nutrient deficiencies. Eat the number of calories MFP gives you. Lose weight safely.

You should also be aware that much of what you've lost so far is water. It's normal to lose water weight very rapidly in the first few weeks of a calorie deficit. You should not expect that pace of loss to continue because it would not be safe to lose fat at that rate. Your weight loss should be slowing down at this point to no more than 1 kg/week. You should not expect to see the scale go down exactly that much every week, though; weight loss is not linear. Sometimes the scale will not move for a while, and that's normal. However, if you continue losing at such a rapid pace, you absolutely need to eat more.

Thank you for taking your time to explain all this for me. I really appreciate it😊.