Which yogurt would you chose?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Get Greek yogurt. Even if you eat the flavored ones you come out ahead as far as healthier.

My Key Lime Oikos Greek Yogurt:

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

Explain to me, other than a few more grams of protein, what's better about that than what's listed.

In this case nothing. but Oikos isn't REAL greek yogurt.. it's processed to be like Greek yogurt.
    Real Greek yogurt has like 3 ingredients.

Milk, water, sugar. Those are the non-flavoring ingredients listed on my container of Oikos.

Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt that has been strained a few extra times to make it thicker.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Get Greek yogurt. Even if you eat the flavored ones you come out ahead as far as healthier.

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

Explain to me, other than a few more grams of protein, what's better about that than what's listed.

Oikos is as bad as Yoplait. It's just candy. Get Fage if you can.
  • rml_16
    Options

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

Oikos is as bad as Yoplait. It's just candy. Get Fage if you can.

I repeat:

Milk, water, sugar. Those are the non-flavoring ingredients listed on my container of Oikos.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

In this case nothing. but Oikos isn't REAL greek yogurt.. it's processed to be like Greek yogurt.

Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt that has been strained a few extra times to make it thicker.

Greek yogurt should only contain:
    Pasteurized Skimmed Milk (or whatever milk it uses depending on 0% or 2%, or full fat) and Live Active Yogurt Cultures.
    No sugar and no water.
  • rml_16
    Options

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

Pasteurized Skimmed Milk (or whatever milk it uses depending on 0% or 2%, or full fat) and Live Active Yogurt Cultures.
    No sugar and no water.
    Fage ingredients:

STRAINED YOGURT [ Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)], Blueberries, Cane Sugar, Water, Corn Starch,Pectin, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavor.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And the plain Oikos has only milk and active yogurt cultures.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options

160 calories
    18 carbs
    4.5 fat
    11 protein
    75 sodium
    17 sugar

No sugar and no water.
    Fage ingredients:

STRAINED YOGURT [ Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei)], Blueberries, Cane Sugar, Water, Corn Starch,Pectin, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Natural Flavor.

Everything past the Milk and Live Active Yogurt Cultures are added in the small fruit thing that comes on the side that you add in. It's not IN the yogurt untill you add it.. hence why you should get plain and add fresh fruit.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Everything past the Milk and Live Active Yogurt Cultures are added in the small fruit thing that comes on the side that you add in. It's not IN the yogurt untill you add it.. hence why you should get plain and add fresh fruit.

Why "should" I when I don't enjoy eating that? I like my key lime and I like my fruit-added yogurt. It tastes better to me.

So since I enjoy it and, ultimately, it has the same nutritional value as the plain with some things added to it, why "should" I get plain and just add fruit?
  • ladylalaland
    ladylalaland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually just get plain Greek yogurt and add whatever I want to it. Sometimes I make a dip with garlic and lemon juice and eat that with veggies.

This sounds delicious, will have to try it.

OP, theres not uch differnce between the 2 options so I'd definately base my decision on flavour, HTH.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd go for 2 as the protein per kcal is slightly better. But I'd rather just eat plain yoghurt which has about 10g protein per 100 kcals
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Option 1 because it likely has lower sat. fat and I have to watch my cholesterol :(
    But generally I would prefer option 2.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Some people are really serious about yogurt.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Option 2. For the slightly extra calories - there's an increased amount of protein and lower sodium and sugar.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

internet_serious_business2.gif
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

I was just going to say this!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I hope you weren't attempting to be humourous in the serious yogurt thread. :angry:
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

I hope you weren't attempting to be humourous in the serious yogurt thread. :angry:

tumblr_moioivlwC11s99dcoo1_500.gif
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    the yogurt snobbery in some of the replies is hilarious.

tumblr_inline_moyythNmh61qz4rgp.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

seriously.