Munchies are the worst! -51lbs to go!

Options
I’ve been a member of MFP for years but never posted. Following a recent mental health crisis, I was placed on some antidepressants that gave me the worst munchies ever! At the time, I needed the medication so decided that my mental health outweighed my weight fears.

Roll on to 8 weeks later, and I’ve gained 30lbs! Crazy weight to gain I know! Now I’m starting 2020 with the cliche; new year, new me. I’m hoping to drop the excess weight plus a little more and work out to the point where I can see some muscle definition.

To achieve my goals I’m using a combination of Keto and intermittent fasting. I’m only on day 4 but today, I’m really struggling. I feel very depressed and all I want to do is eat a packet of biscuits and a chinese but I won’t.

Fingers crossed that 2020 is my year and that things improve! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Does anyone have any tips for antidepressant cravings? Or tips to improve wellbeing in general??

Replies

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    I’ve been a member of MFP for years but never posted. Following a recent mental health crisis, I was placed on some antidepressants that gave me the worst munchies ever! At the time, I needed the medication so decided that my mental health outweighed my weight fears.

Roll on to 8 weeks later, and I’ve gained 30lbs! Crazy weight to gain I know! Now I’m starting 2020 with the cliche; new year, new me. I’m hoping to drop the excess weight plus a little more and work out to the point where I can see some muscle definition.

To achieve my goals I’m using a combination of Keto and intermittent fasting. I’m only on day 4 but today, I’m really struggling. I feel very depressed and all I want to do is eat a packet of biscuits and a chinese but I won’t.

Fingers crossed that 2020 is my year and that things improve! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Does anyone have any tips for antidepressant cravings? Or tips to improve wellbeing in general??

Welcome to the MyFitnessPal Community! We are glad you posted.

You might want to check out our Motivation and Support category, there are a lot of really great discussions in there.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Be sure to tell your health care provider about the antidepressant side effects of weight gain. It's possible the doctor or psychiatrist could adjust your meds or switch over to a new one. A family member of mine experienced the same thing, and was weaned off the medication that was causing her rapid weight gain (8 pounds in less than two weeks!) and had a different one added to replace it. Her depression is now better controlled and she shed the weight she'd gained.
  • crystalme1
    crystalme1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    good luck to you, I battle with a bit of hormonal moodiness myself. I find that I try to make room for good foods such as cashews and berries. look for nutrients rich foods that will make your body well!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I found working out has become my antidepressant. Especially weight lifting. Theres something about becoming physically strong that transcends to mental toughness as well.