Timing of meals vs weight loss

Options
Hey everyone! I'm trying to create a healthy lifestyle while in the process of loosing 60lbs. I tend to not be very hungry in the morning, semi hungry at lunch and then I get extremely hungry around dinner. Some days I get off work late though and I can't eat until 10ish. I was wondering if it will affect my weight loss if I eat at 10pm since it's so late. Am I just thinking about this all too much or will it actually matter?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,783 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    While losing and maintaining weight on mfp these past few years, I have consumed a significant number of my
    total calories after midnight, and within an hour or two of going to bed. Like about half or more. Doesn't seem to have stopped me.

Are there some studies that have shown some small advantage to breakfast eaters, all other things being equal? I believe there was at least one and also that the majority of participants in the National weight control registry study (entry to the registry is open to US based "long time' maintainers of a significant weight loss) report eating breakfast.

However adherence to one's total calories and creating an appropriate caloric balance to meet one's goals far surpass any such marginal advantage when it comes to achieving weight loss.

And I, and many others, have found that we are much more successful when managing our eating such that the largest meal of the day is the last one.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The only thing late eating affects is whether or not you're weighing extra poop in the morning. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but that’s what it amounts to.

I sleep better if I have a warm, starchy snack within an hour of going to bed. When I sleep better I am more physically active throughout the day and in turn burn more calories. Timing has not directly increased my weight loss, merely improved my body’s working conditions. Others avoid late eating because it disrupts their sleep or exhaustion makes them less likely to adhere to beneficial behaviours like portion control. Their approach/reasons are every bit as valid as my own. You may find an approach that uniquely works for you. Just remember that weight management is purely a numbers game. Any approach that keeps you in a calorie deficit will result in weight loss.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Meal timing can affect satiety and this can make weight loss more difficult. Some find if they skip breakfast they are really hungry later and are more prone to overeating. Others find if they eat breakfast they are hungrier throughout the day and are more prone to overeating. There is no right or wrong way to go about it as it is a very individual thing. If you aren't hungry in the morning then skip breakfast and save those calories for your evening meal when you are hungry. As previously mentioned by others, the only drawback with eating late is that it can disrupt some peoples sleep. Lack of sleep raises cortisol levels and this too can increase appetite, making you more prone to overeating. That and you are more likely to choose easy convenient foods which are high in calories but low in nutrition when you are tired. Personally, I don't sleep well unless I have a nice full belly so eating close to bedtime has no negative outcome.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It only matters in the way it affects your calorie intake. Weight loss is strictly about calories, but there are habits that make sticking to calories harder/easier. Does a late breakfast result in being more hungry and overeating? If not, then no, it won't affect your weight loss negatively. I usually eat my breakfast whenever I start feeling hungry. This can be anywhere between 8 am and 2 pm. It has no effect on my calorie intake when I eat it later vs earlier, so I don't bother with a steady breakfast schedule.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I tend to not be very hungry in the morning, semi hungry at lunch and then I get extremely hungry around dinner.

You have a calorie budget and the quoted section shows opportunities for you to "spend" your budget in a way that makes the process easier for you to stick to your budget.

There's no bonus points for making a hard job harder!