Vegetarians........I need your help

Options
2»

Replies

• Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The Vegetarian Society has tons of info and advice and factsheets and guidance https://www.vegsoc.org/
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Mom! :flowerforyou: Do a search for the thread: " We love Fantastic Feta-Chickpea casserole ".....it's an easy great tasting recipe.
  • rowrunyoga
    rowrunyoga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't thank everyone enough for all the ideas... I have been toying with the idea myself for quite some time. The links and info are very helpful.

To the OP, so proud of you for being so supportive!
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's the same key as any other diet, moderation. Unless she has allergies/health complications then anything she wants in moderation is fine. Moderation prevents reliance (I personally found it all too easy to get hooked on cheese before I was diagnosed allergic), it also motivates you to increase variety and it's variety ultimately which helps you get a healthy and balanced diet.

High protein grains like quinoa and lentils are good additions. She has the benefit of egg and dairy which are excellent sources of protein and good fats, but nuts (again in moderation) are also useful and you can even get pre-blended cold pressed oils which are omega balanced for you these days.
  • minus15pounds
    Options
    This is a great vegetarian blog for recipe ideas - http://herbivoracious.com/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So my 10 year old daughter has expressed interest in trying out vegetarianism. I'm not sure how to ensure she has a well rounded diet while doing this. What she can or cannot eat.

Let me add that I have no desire to join her in this but I am supportive of her trying it out.
    She cannot eat meat.

She can eat anything else.

Assuming she isn't talking vegan, she can have dairy and eggs. Beans are another good source of proetin. And of course all the fruits and veggies her little heart desires.

The main thing you have to look out for is things like gelatin in yogurt, Pop Tarts, gummy candies, vitamins, marshmallows ... The list goes on. But it's mostly in foods that aren't especially nutritious, anyway.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a quick tip. I used to put ground beef in my pasta sauce. Now since I can't do that and I want added protein, I use tofu. You can grate it with a cheese grater and mix it in or you can puree it in a food processor. The great thing about tofu is it takes on the flavor of whatever it's in, so you don't even know it's in there.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'm not a vegetarian myself but i'd like to raise, essential amino acids - there are 11 non-essential and 11 essential amino acids.

all 11 essential are found in most meats but not in all vegetarian protein options. so do a bit of research on which foods contain which amino acids so she's getting everything she needs - just makes it a bit harder (but not impossible) to balance everything out. if she's happy to have eggs and dairy, i don't think it will be as much of an issue.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Here's a breakfast I just love and eat almost every morning. Full of protein and my grandkids love it too! The original recipe is from Mark Hyman's Ultra-Metabolism Cookbook:

1 cup amaranth, 3 cups soy milk, 1 apple diced, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste. Bring to boil on low heat in saucepan with extra room (has a tendency to boil over if not watched), stirring occasionally, then lower heat to very low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. It is somewhat difficult to tell when it's done as it can look quite watery with the cooking grain staying on the bottom of pan, just stir a bit to a achieve a smooth consistency. Makes about 4-5 servings. Refrigerate the leftovers which are probably good for about a week or slightly less. I would suggest paying fairly close attention to the cooking process the first time as it has a tendency to either boil over, burn on, or both. If it does cook onto the bottom, often just letting it sit for just a bit will allow you to stir it back in.....unless it is burnt, then best to not stir it in!

I have altered over time to the following version:

1 cup amaranth, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 cup soymilk, and 2 cups water. I then serve with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Almond Breeze), sliced banana and broken up walnuts. On subsequent mornings, I just put some of the left-over amaranth in a saucepan with some almond milk to heat on very low, then add bananas and walnuts. I feel as if I am eating a banana split.....almost! It is easy to make ahead of time and just heat up as then the almond milk is also warm. So yummy!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians can eat eggs, breads and cheese to supplement fruits/vegetables.

It is important to have dairy/and protein in her diet to ensure she has vital nutrients as a vegetarian. Also, a healthy mix of beans/grains. E.g., rice and beans together makes up for 90% of the amino you get from meat. The only problem she may run into (so she will need blood work from time to time at the doctors) is vitamin D efficiency. My doctor put me on vitamin D supplements because, although I had a vast diet as mentioned above, I still was not getting enough vitamin D. So, I take a vitamin D supplement after dinner and take my daily vitamins in the morning after breakfast.

Also, if you cook tofu right (e.g., in curry or anything that normally would absorb into meat) it could be used as a protein substitute and add variety to the diet.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There is an app called the 21 day vegan kickstart, I just like it for the recipes. My sixteen- year- old is vegetarian and one of her Favourite recipes is curried lentil cous cous soup. I swap quinoa for cous cous but I think they are both more or less equal nutritionally. I keep trying different tofu recipes also but she's not keen on tofu. There are so many recipes online for burgers made with lentils, beans,etc. I cook a lot and make seitan once a week.

Nutritional yeast is so yummy on popcorn and it is supplimented with B12. (B12 is also in animal products and many vegetarian foods are fortified with it)

Have fun!

Has she ever had fried tofu with peanut sauce??? OH MY GOSH THAT IS MY FAVORITE IN THE WORLD PROBABLY!! I had it at a Thai Vegan restaurant and my god, I fell in loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <3 Should have her try that :)