Need help figuring out how to plan my workouts.

Options
Hi all! Let me start out by saying that I used to have a personal trainer but I had to drop her because my mom and I are tight on cash.

I have a membership to LA Fitness and can't wait to use their pool, (thank god it's only 6 mins away from my house).

I'm super self-conscious and don't like going to the gym at peak hours but want to go with my mom after work. I guess I am asking for help with my plan. This is kinda what I have so far (at least for January).

Monday: rest
Tuesday: Walk dog
Wednesday: pool
Thursday: Walk dog
Friday: Pool
Saturday: walk dog or pool
Sunday: rest

I'm wondering if I should add another bike workout on the days I walk the dog, I'm just not sure. and I know I need to have weight training in there too, but I wanted to start with cardio first.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Why not try that, and see if it works well in your life and feels fun by the end of the month?

It seems fine, as much of the benefit is just from being active. Adding a strength component is an excellent idea, but you don't have to do that immediately. If your gym has an area with machines where you can do a circuit (going from one machine to the next), that might be an option to start, when you're ready, though freeweights can have more payoff in the long run. Often there are employees at the gym to show you how to use machines, and many have instructions posted right on them.

Personally, if I were going to have 2 rest days, I'd probably space them out, but you may find the sequential days more beneficial for your body, especially if you're resuming workouts after a bit of time off.

A lot of what works is just finding out what's enjoyable, and fits into your life well - both of which are very individual. As you continue, you may find that there are certain aspects of fitness that you want to increase (strength, maybe flexibility - whatever), then you can figure out what to do to gain those, and fit them into your schedule.

Any exercise we enjoy, so want to do regularly, is better than theoretically perfect exercise we kinda hate, so put off whenever we have an excuse. :)