Any other vegetarians trying to lose weight??

Options
Hi I’m 31, I’ve been vegetarian for 16 years, and suddenly feel like everything I eat sticks to me. I try to eat fairly clean but snacking kills me!! I’m looking for good vegetarian snacks that will keep me full and are healthy or any info, suggestions, support etc :) thanks!

Replies

• paullison81
    paullison81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Probably celery and cucumbers would work. And Kale.
  • kaileyinnocent
    kaileyinnocent Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate celery! It’s the one veggie I have to force myself to eat 😂 but yes cucumber is a great idea!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Do you end up snacking out of stress/boredom/etc or are you genuinely hungry when you find yourself snacking? If you are already eating clean, but find yourself hungry, you may want to take a look at your macros to see if making some changes there may help.
    For snacking when you're genuinely hungry I would recommend snacks that incorporate some protein and healthy fat - it means more calories, yes, but it should hopefully help you feel satisfied longer. For example, an apple with cheese or nut butter, or a handful of almonds, or carrots and hummus.
  • kaileyinnocent
    kaileyinnocent Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes generally when I’m bored. I’m a stay at home mom, so it’s far too easy to constantly graze all day. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • n1ck3ymous3
    n1ck3ymous3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    im also vegetarian looking to lose weight. I have always been a big junk food eater so I know that's something I need to give up.
  • MrsSam90
    MrsSam90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fellow veggie here and huge snacker! My go tos are smoothies, bananas/apples with peanut butter, dehydrated fruit, popcorn, oatmeal energy balls. The snack life is real haha! ☺️
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Apples slices with peanut butter, you can melt it and drizzle it on top (apple nachos)!! I love tangerines for snacks. They are surprisingly filling. You can also slice bananas and do the peanut butter trick too and top it with chopped walnuts! As long as you weigh everything out on a food scale, you easily turn those snacks into super low calorie ones. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years, so I can relate and know how hard it is trying to find new snack ideas that are healthy.

I post daily photos of the food I eat, so your welcome to add me if you need some inspo!!

• Venus_1
    Venus_1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should find a hobby. Time flies once you do something you're passionate about, speaking as a professional bored-overeater.
  • starrybear1211
    starrybear1211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've been a veggie for five years now and I'm also struggling with my weight. The snacking is what kills me as well, especially at night after a long day. I've found reading about fitness to be very effective. Personally, devotionals on the Bible app have connected my wellness to spirituality and keep me on track daily, but if you don't like that, try to find something motivational to read about it once a day :) I'm going to post a blog I wrote about it soon that I'd love to share with you. I'm curvy, but journaling about how I can help people who are less fit than me helps a lot too. Pinterest has a lot of awesome and easy recipes, even some guilt-free snacks. Look up Hungry Girl as well :) Maybe I can start a book club on here! I'm trying to get these 25 college pounds off.

Sincerely,
    Starlight
  • starlighttucker
    starlighttucker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is my new account (Starlight)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 45 years. While I was losing, I found that snacks with some protein were helpful for me. Some I like are crispy broad beans or chickpeas, puppodums, hard boiled egg (dunno about you, but I'm ovo-lacto veg), 2% milk string cheese, lowfat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt with fruit, dry roasted soybeans, small portion of dry-roasted nuts.

If the desire is to minimize calories, then veggies (you said no celery, but besides cucumbers some I like are jicama, cherry tomatoes, celeriac (kinda tastes a little like celery but totally different texture), kohlrabi, sweet peppers).

I'll also sometimes roast up a big batch of veggies and put them in the refrigerator to eat plain, with some seasoned salt, or with a little vinegar. (I also use them on salads or in sandwiches, stews, etc., cold or heated). Some I like roasted are cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, parsnips, turnips, pearl onions.

Then there are pickles, either cucumber pickles or other types (there are lots available), plus things like sauerkraut or kim chi (if you're not pescatarian, make sure the kim chi is one without fish sauce as an ingredient).

Fruit is also good, fresh or frozen. With a little more calories to spare, I like some still-frozen berries with chocolate peanut butter powder and Greek yogurt.