Starting to workout

Options
Sooo I’m very overweight (BMI says obese ) I started a workout video regimen, my heart rate stays where I want it goes to cardio zone. However I start to feel lightheaded around 25 mins. Anyone else get this ? Will this pass as I get stronger and lose weight ? I swear our bodies don’t want us to let go of the fat :-) eat less you feel hungry and sick workout you feel yucky and lightheaded

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without feeling sick and hungry, or yucky and lightheaded. All these feelings (if you experience them with regularity) means you are trying to change multiple things at once, and you’re changing them too drastically.

First, If you chose to lose 2 or more lbs per week, changing your to go lose 1 or .5 lbs a week instead will give you more calories, ensuring you won’t feel sick and hungry while eating at a deficit.

Second, If you are lightheaded at 25 min of cardio, you may be exercising with too high intensity. Why not start with brisk walking, or shorten your exercise time? It’s not the intensity that allows people to become and stay fit and healthy. It’s the CONSISTENCY of the habit. If you are looking forward to being done with weight loss because you’re going to give up the tough high-intensity exercise when you get to your goal weight, that means you’ve chosen a habit that’s not sustainable for your life.

Make your habits SUSTAINABLE so you can be consistent. Only consistent people get to keep the weight off.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Any chance you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week (and you weigh less than 200 pounds) and your calorie goal is 1200 and you’re not eating exercise calories and you’re eating “clean” and/or started keto, and just started going to the gym and joined a boot camp/HIIT class?

If zero of those things are true (meaning your weight loss goal is between .5 and 1% of your body weight per week-don’t round up, you’re eating exercise calories, you didn’t drastically reduce your carb intake, you’re eating a solid variety of foods-including plenty of protein, and you eased into an exercise program) go see a doctor,

Getting lightheaded during exercise is not normal.
  • WickedWitchy13
    WickedWitchy13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Any chance you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week (and you weigh less than 200 pounds) and your calorie goal is 1200 and you’re not eating exercise calories and you’re eating “clean” and/or started keto, and just started going to the gym and joined a boot camp/HIIT class?

If zero of those things are true (meaning your weight loss goal is between .5 and 1% of your body weight per week-don’t round up, you’re eating exercise calories, you didn’t drastically reduce your carb intake, you’re eating a solid variety of foods-including plenty of protein, and you eased into an exercise program) go see a doctor,

Getting lightheaded during exercise is not normal.
    I have seen the doctor they said I’m fine 😒
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    If I push myself super hard with cardio I can feel a bit sick to my stomach after/ light headed. It passes quickly and I have no ill effects, I just know I am maxing myself out on occasion.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    There's this myth that exercise needs to be miserable and tiring to be effective. Not true.

For weight loss, the sweet spot is usually the amount and intensity of exercise that's a bit of a challenge, but leaves a person feeling energized for the rest of their day, not draggy and fatigued. (A few minutes of a "whew" feeling right after the exercise is OK.)

It's fine to start with a smaller amount of exercise, less intense, less often, and gradually increase, so it stays enjoyable, energizing, and just a little challenging. That will build your fitness.

In your case, it sounds like you're going past the "enjoyable" threshold. For now, I'd suggest dropping back in duration or intensity to find that sweet spot, then gradually building up again as your fitness improves.

With your particular case, it might be worth considering putting a break - even a long one - in the middle of your workout, if that would keep it more pleasant and achievable. That's still going to burn about the same number of calories as doing it all in one shot (though a heart rate monitor/fitness tracker might estimate it as slightly less . . . that's a limitation of using heart rate as a proxy for calorie burn, not a true reading of calories)

Best wishes!