H20 Deprived

Options
Hey guys!

I'm am trying my best to drink at least 8 cups of water a day. If I weren't measuring I would assume I have been doing it right for years, but so far I haven't been able to reach the goal. I am determined today. I don't drink enough water....and I thought I was.

How do ya'll get in the adequate amount in a daily basis?

H20 deprived,

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I carry my "reminder bottle" with me everywhere. It holds 24oz (3 cups) so if I drink 3 then I've reached and exceeded my goal. Also remember water is in fruits and vegetables which do contribute to your water intake (although difficult to measure). Black coffee and unsweetened tea count as well.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Are you only counting water or also coffee, tea, herbal tea, soda, juice, electrolyte beverages, etc?

Between water and herbal tea (the only 2 things I drink), I get 64-80 oz daily.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I guess I do it intuitively unless I am sick or under some other form of duress. My urine runs mostly clear from mid morning on so I am definitely properly hydrated. I am a high volume eater so I get a little extra from food. The rest is coffee, tea, and water.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You do not necessarily *have* to drink 8 cups of water a day. Your body may need less or more water than that, plus there is water in your food and other drinks. Instead, I would recommend gauging your hydration by your urine color. If it’s dark other than first thing in the morning, drink more.
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try different brands! Treat yourself to some fancy water now and then, too. Like Voss. I love water. I love trying all types and from all different taps. Just gotta find some fun in plain old H2O 😺
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I used to always run dehydrated. Probably why I have so many kidney stones today! To keep myself hydrated now, I keep a bottle of water at my side all day and night, and I make sure I log it every time I refill or grab a new bottle. But as others have said, foods also contribute to your hydration levels. Fruit has a lot of fluid in it, especially watermelon, melons, oranges/citrus. So trying to add those to your daily line up does double duty, not only do you get the natural vitamins, you also get an extra portion of water. Of course, you can't log it, as each piece of fruit will be different, but still, it helps your body stay healthy. :)
  • luvfit3
    luvfit3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I carry my "reminder bottle" with me everywhere. It holds 24oz (3 cups) so if I drink 3 then I've reached and exceeded my goal. Also remember water is in fruits and vegetables which do contribute to your water intake (although difficult to measure). Black coffee and unsweetened tea count as well.

Thank a nice water bottle does help. I have 16.9 oz water bottles I take for work...so if I drink 4 a day I have reached my water goal.
  • luvfit3
    Options
    Are you only counting water or also coffee, tea, herbal tea, soda, juice, electrolyte beverages, etc?

Between water and herbal tea (the only 2 things I drink), I get 64-80 oz daily.

Hey, I am only counting water because that is currently all I am drinking. On the weekend I am probably going to do a coffee (as a treat), but I only have consumed water.
  • luvfit3
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I guess I do it intuitively unless I am sick or under some other form of duress. My urine runs mostly clear from mid morning on so I am definitely properly hydrated. I am a high volume eater so I get a little extra from food. The rest is coffee, tea, and water.

Thanks a bunch. I have never urinated so much in my life...well except pregnancy. This water is NO JOKE! LOL
  • luvfit3
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You do not necessarily *have* to drink 8 cups of water a day. Your body may need less or more water than that, plus there is water in your food and other drinks. Instead, I would recommend gauging your hydration by your urine color. If it’s dark other than first thing in the morning, drink more.

Hey thanks my urine color is GREAT NOW! Amazing how I have been doing it so wrong for so long.
  • luvfit3
    Options
    Try different brands! Treat yourself to some fancy water now and then, too. Like Voss. I love water. I love trying all types and from all different taps. Just gotta find some fun in plain old H2O 😺

Thanks I may try that... a nice alkaline water from Whole Foods or something as a treat....ha water as a treat!
  • luvfit3
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    I used to always run dehydrated. Probably why I have so many kidney stones today! To keep myself hydrated now, I keep a bottle of water at my side all day and night, and I make sure I log it every time I refill or grab a new bottle. But as others have said, foods also contribute to your hydration levels. Fruit has a lot of fluid in it, especially watermelon, melons, oranges/citrus. So trying to add those to your daily line up does double duty, not only do you get the natural vitamins, you also get an extra portion of water. Of course, you can't log it, as each piece of fruit will be different, but still, it helps your body stay healthy. :)

Thanks fruit is one of the things I can't really indulge in on keto.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    luvfit3 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm am trying my best to drink at least 8 cups of water a day. If I weren't measuring I would assume I have been doing it right for years, but so far I haven't been able to reach the goal. I am determined today. I don't drink enough water....and I thought I was.

How do ya'll get in the adequate amount in a daily basis?

H20 deprived,

I carry a reusable water bottle with me pretty much everywhere I go. I don't strive for any particular amount of water, only to be hydrated which can be monitored by the color of your urine. I typically drink more water in the summer when it's hotter and I'm more active and less in the winter when it's cold and my exercise and general activity dips. Hydration needs will vary based on numerous factors.

I don't have too much trouble drinking water though...I live in the desert at over a mile high, so it's dry and high altitude which generally equals thirsty.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have said that its not about the quantity of water you drink specifically but about staying hydrated. It sounds like you are in a good spot with the amount you have been drinking with your urine color. Dont try to force yourself to drink more water then you actually need. You also get hydration from any veggies you eat. I know you said no fruit due to being on a Keto Diet. If you like drinking only water then by all means keep doing that, but I thought I would also mention that you can drink other things on Keto to stay hydrated as well. Tea, coffee, Flavored Sparking Water, and even Diet Soda. The easiest way to stay hydrated is by drinking what you like to drink.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    This time of year my hydration is mostly from tea, which is of course mostly water.

The conventional wisdom used to be that caffeinated beverages don't count, but that turned out to be false.
  • kzboncak
    kzboncak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prep lemon water the night before and drink that first thing before eating or coffee. I feel like that has set up me up for success. Plus a water tumbler with a straw!! I’m much more inclined to sip throughout the day if I have the straw with me instead of a dealer water bottle.
  • luvfit3
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    I will echo what others have said that its not about the quantity of water you drink specifically but about staying hydrated. It sounds like you are in a good spot with the amount you have been drinking with your urine color. Dont try to force yourself to drink more water then you actually need. You also get hydration from any veggies you eat. I know you said no fruit due to being on a Keto Diet. If you like drinking only water then by all means keep doing that, but I thought I would also mention that you can drink other things on Keto to stay hydrated as well. Tea, coffee, Flavored Sparking Water, and even Diet Soda. The easiest way to stay hydrated is by drinking what you like to drink.

Wow, thanks I may look into the flavored sparking water, I am having coffee Saturday and can not wait. I just bought some Monkfruit and I can not wait to try it, also tea would be refreshing. Thanks a bunch!
  • luvfit3
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This time of year my hydration is mostly from tea, which is of course mostly water.

The conventional wisdom used to be that caffeinated beverages don't count, but that turned out to be false.

A lot of people mentioned tea...I may have to become a lover of tea....what's your favorite?
  • luvfit3
    Options
    kzboncak wrote: »
    I prep lemon water the night before and drink that first thing before eating or coffee. I feel like that has set up me up for success. Plus a water tumbler with a straw!! I’m much more inclined to sip throughout the day if I have the straw with me instead of a dealer water bottle.

Yes, I do love the straw too. Maybe I will try to find a large cup I can sip through a straw I loved that years ago when I was trying to drink adequate water during pregnancy. Thanks
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    luvfit3 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

A lot of people mentioned tea...I may have to become a lover of tea....what's your favorite?

Oh no. You have opened the can of worms :)

If you like black tea, the first two I always recommend are Paris and Earl Grey Supreme, both by Harney and Sons. These are the teas I make for people who think they don't like tea. My husband loves their Hot Cinnamon Spice tea, which tastes like a liquid cinnamon candy. I'm not a big green tea drinker, but I do like their Genmaicha.

As far as things that didn't come from Harney and Sons, I like strong British style black teas; Yorkshire Gold is my favorite. For things that are probably easier to find in US supermarkets, I like Tazo aged earl grey and their glazed lemon loaf (herbal).

I got a gift card to Adagio for Christmas, so I'm currently working my way through several of their teas. The honeybush chocolate was lovely with a sugar free vanilla syrup.

I am also currently drinking Ikea peppermint cocoa tea. Don't judge.

I usually go with Celestial Seasonings for iced teas. This is for a few reasons. Mostly, I can't have caffeine later in the day, so I switch to herbal iced tea. Celestial Seasonings has a lot of caffeine free options and isn't very expensive as teas go. I like many of their Zinger teas.