Well, pretty sure I'm "skinny fat", where to start

Options
46 yr old female, currently weigh 132 lbs, 5'4". Got my body fat tested today at a nutrition center - 30%. I knew it would be high but wow, that's a surprise. I play pickleball 4 days a week, usually running back and forth for 2 hours or more each time. Just added weight lifting 5 weeks ago. Was going 3 days a week but really love it and want to increase that. I eat at 1250 calories a day and eat back exercise calories. Oh, and I'm vegetarian and don't eat enough protein. I'm working on that. Here's a picture for an idea of where I'm at:

gtwlv6egap8y.jpg

Replies

• designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @MikePTY They used a machine called the "InBody230".
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    And 30% BF is considered healthy for women. I personally am striving toward 25% which I prefer, but that is not some terrible number. Also as commented above it could be very inaccurate
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    They used a machine called the "InBody230".

Did they tell you what to do / what not to do before your reading was taken?

TBH that type of machine can be useful for a trend (if used correctly) but one off readings should be taken with a pinch of salt rather than base decisions on a single measurement.
  • designerdiscounts
    Options
    @sijomial They said to eat more protein. The machine printed out a report that said I should gain 4 pounds of muscle and lose 12 pounds of fat.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For a woman your age you are at the low end of average body fat %, close to the "lean/fitness" level. Did their charts for target body fat % take age into account? Or is it your goal to be at the lean/fitness level?

How body fat % impacts overall health is also based on where you carry body fat - for example, if a woman is at 35% body fat but carries most of that fat in her abdomen, that is a greater health risk than a woman with the same percentage of body fat whose fat is mostly in her hips and thighs.

But yes to the protein, if you are doing weightlifting with the goal of gaining muscle you will need to consume a good amount of protein, especially in the time after your workouts (if you are doing intense weightlifting). Gaining muscle while losing fat is a slow process, but if you keep weight training going while you are losing weight it should help prevent loss of too much lean mass.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Oy. Here we go again....I will have more to add later.

• mgdnutty
    mgdnutty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    4 lbs of muscle for someone who just started weight training should not take 8 months
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I really want to hear what @Azdak had to say and recommend; but, you look pretty dang healthy to me with no hint of skinny fat in anything but the sales rep's imagination.

And I have a question about your average calories, because I am wondering whether appreciable weight loss should be your goal (versus fully fueling your exercise at maybe a very small deficit if more lean is your goal, or at no deficit if more strength is your goal).

How much protein do you get?
    Given your weight, generally anything over 100g protein a day should have you substantially (if not necessarily absolutely optimally) covered...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I had a Dexa scan done last May and I looked similar to her (same height and 4 pounds heavier) and my body fat was 28.9 percent. So you can’t tell from pictures.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As it turns out, maybe InBody has more reference material than I thought.

https://nl.inbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/InBody230_CDmanual_Eng_L.pdf

There is a lot here, but in the second half, they discuss some of the reference standards in more detail.

Here is an example of the results report. I don't know if it's the exact same one the OP received:

https://shop.inbodyusa.com/collections/accessories/products/inbody230-result-sheets

It is much simpler than the report generated by the 570 (the model I used); it also does not show segmental fat analysis or visceral fat.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I had a Dexa scan done last May and I looked similar to her (same height and 4 pounds heavier) and my body fat was 28.9 percent. So you can’t tell from pictures.

If you can't tell from pictures, how can you tell that you looked similar to her?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

If you can't tell from pictures, how can you tell that you looked similar to her?

You can’t tell what someone’s body fat percentage is just by looking at pictures of them.

• designerdiscounts
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding!

@Azdak thank you for explaining the test. I did work out this morning and I did drink water before the test. If that skews the numbers higher, just don't tell me :).

I'm not so much questioning the accuracy of the number (wish it were inaccurate but I was expecting it to be at least as high as 25%). My real wonder is what's the best way to move toward a lower number - do I change caloric input, time on cardio, etc. Ideally, I'd like to weigh 130 lbs and get at or below 22% body fat but those numbers are not set in stone, just something to work toward.

My protein intake is pretty darn low - usually around 50 grams a day. If I add a protein shake and a plain greek yogurt, that will bring it up about 30 grams a day with minimal calorie gain.