Hints for Motivation to get back on the wagon?

Options
Hey Team -
I know this post'll probably seem like a cop out and that my ability to stay on the wagon is all on me but I figure some of you have probably been in the same boat.

I'm in about the same spot I was last year when I started slipping - heaviest was 230. Last fall this time I was around 200 - and gained back most of that between August and January. Got back on board in January/February and two weeks ago I was at 187.

I haven't been consistently on the wagon for almost a month now. I keep getting on and then jumping off to chase some cake, or chips or general nasty binge of food. Generally just feeling sleepy and lethargic. Thinking most of it is seasonal depression but either way I can't slip back again.

How do you guys stay motivated? any tricks/tips/etc are really welcome.

thanks in advance!

Replies

• bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Keep looking in the mirror.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yup, on it.
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Just in case you need more ideas ;)

Try getting a pal who also needs weekend help (took a peek at your diary). Maybe you can hold each other accountable, not necessarily for your food choices, but consistent logging on the weekends.
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Boy just that much down since beginning of the year should have you hyped......think about feeling better and better about yourself....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Keep looking in the mirror.

pretty much this... the only way you can do it, is by doing it!
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    Just in case you need more ideas ;)

Try getting a pal who also needs weekend help (took a peek at your diary). Maybe you can hold each other accountable, not necessarily for your food choices, but consistent logging on the weekends.

yeah, my fiancee and I are teamed up on this journey but I've really been tempting her into eating bad things lately - especially on the weekends. We're reinstating out (at least) weekly gym dates starting this week tho. and making logging mandatory before we eat is probably a good idea - especially on the weekends.

thanks for the constructive idea
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I keep reminding myself why I'm doing this.

It's not just for lower numbers on the scale or to look better in the mirror.

If I die at the same age my dad (and his dad) did. I'll barely live to see my son turn 30. That's not acceptable.

That's why I do this.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    Give yourself a short term goal! I finished bikini season and now what.. I don't have to diet I could eat what I want but I set a new goal. Do a photoshoot at the gym with a local photographer. Not only does it keep me motivated but I'll think twice when I want cookies instead of tuna and egg whites! Look for things you enjoy join a running group or sign up for a couple 5k's or 10k's. Short term goals keep you motivated and feel rewarding every time you achieve one!
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options

If I die at the same age my dad (and his dad) did. I'll barely live to see my son turn 30. That's not acceptable.

That's why I do this.

that's great motivation! no children on this end to motivate me (yet) but that's a great perspective
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

That's why I do this.

Sooo you're saying do it, or die young. Yup that's what I call major motivation. I might also add that since I lost my weight, I have so much more energy and vitality.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This probably won't apply, but do with it what you will. My motivation for starting to actively try to lose weight was when a pair of pants fit that didn't 2 month's before. I really didn't know I was making a big enough change to cause me to lose weight. I thought about it in a vague sort of way noting that since I was full on less food, because I was eating a lot more fiber that I was probably eating about 500 calories fewer. But, that was it as far as thinking about what I was doing. So anyway long story short my motivation was successfully going down a pant size or two.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    I like the idea of new goals! Getting under 200 & staying was a big one but it might be time to pick another little milestone!
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    Options
    I like the idea of new goals! Getting under 200 & staying was a big one but it might be time to pick another little milestone!

Well getting to 175 was it but now i barely have motivation to get out of bed, to work and have a reasonably productive day that caring about my food intake/exercise is an even larger challenge.

not sure what my challenge can be besides 175??