WEEKEND HELP FAT & 50

Options
shadow997
shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
how do you get thru the weekend with out over eating ? my off days are friday and sunday so i go over on calories. i dont want to hide in my house all weekend. i have cut way back on having beers and over eating but now that im traking everything i do see what i am eat :( so i know why im fat and 50 haha

week 2 down 2 lbs

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You could always eat less calories during the week so you can have a binge day or a binge meal. Otherwise, look to eat a lot of filler foods that are low in calories. Eating a lot of veggies and drinking lots of water will help reduce the amount of calories you can binge on. I also find it helpful to have a protein shake to help reduce cravings.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try adding a bit more exercise into your days off to help offset what you're eating. Also keep healthy snacks on hand, and grab for them when you get the munchies.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Well. I am Fat and Firty Guy too!
    You are doing the right thing by logging your calories, it isn't easy, but it is worth it.

What helps me is that when I really want to eat something high calorie.. I plan for it and I work out a lot during the day.

Also.. My calorie goal is about 2000 cals because I am taking my time and losing weight at the rate of 1/2 lb per week.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Drink at least a gallon of water (spread out throughout the day) and increase your lean protein intake (lean meats, tuna, cottage cheese) across six meals a day. You will find yourself less hungry/craving and will consume fewer calories. If interested, check this http://www.menshealth.com/health/testosterone-boosting-breakfast-foods out and a book entitled The Testosterone Advantage Plan. It's a great book and geared exactly to your issue. Good luck!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Drink at least a gallon of water (spread out throughout the day) and increase your lean protein intake (lean meats, tuna, cottage cheese) across six meals a day. You will find yourself less hungry/craving and will consume fewer calories. If interested, check this http://www.menshealth.com/health/testosterone-boosting-breakfast-foods out and a book entitled The Testosterone Advantage Plan. It's a great book and geared exactly to your issue. Good luck!

Great Book - Really opened my eyes!
  • TexanDad1979
    Options
    I understand where your coming from, Ive found that I tend to eat when I have more free time. During the week days while at work I cant just get up or run in the house and grab whatever is available.
    What works best for me is trying to keep busy during the times I would normally be watching football, ESPN, or just hanging out with the kids. Basically being more active during down times from work. Having 2 small kids makes it easy b/c I always have someone who wants to go outside and play. Anything active is good and keeps me from getting bored and eating, whether thats going to a park with them, or even just playing hide and go seek..lol
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Want to be fat or you want to be fit.. Fit is an everyday ordeal... not lecturing but wake up each day and think how
    can I be fitter today.. Once you turn fifty your main job is to not age but stay fifty.
    Younger next year is a great book about this.. Why do you need 2 days off anyway?
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your days off are for, me I just call them my lazy days and then it shows either on the scale or in my food log.....try and eat your fruits and vegetables even if the veggies are raw like.....cucumbers, carrots maybe even stuffed celery, this are some of my good to foods and someone mentioned the protein shake that is great as well.
  • shadow997
    shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Want to be fat or you want to be fit.. Fit is an everyday ordeal... not lecturing but wake up each day and think how
    can I be fitter today.. Once you turn fifty your main job is to not age but stay fifty.
    Younger next year is a great book about this.. Why do you need 2 days off anyway?

thats what i was thinking off not having 2 days off , and my days off arnt filled will sitting on the couch eating dougnuts haha working in the yard, walking doing something
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I find it really helps to think about how the day is gonna go. If I know I'm spending time with friends or family later int he day. I'll eat less for breakfast and lunch.

If I know I'll be doing a marathon driving session. I'll try to avoid vending machines and convenience store snacks. And kathie and I will pack food/snacks drinks into a cooler instead.

When you get up and go through your morning routine, think about how your day is gonna ebb and flow. And plan your eating accordingly.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Get up Saturday morning and get into the gym or get outside with dog's and exercise if you start off good you should not want to **** up your hard work.. there are a lot of clean recipes for snacks. if your married your wife has to get on board too, very hard to lose weight if you can't do it together, if you want you can add me I am on here every day and have been lifting & working out for 32 years, so I know a little about this topic. LOL
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas. Also, my first line of defense is keeping the goodies out of the house. I do indulge in a few items from time to time but it's a whole lot easier when it's not readily available.
  • carguy42503
    carguy42503 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say planning is the key. If you know you are going to be out & about, think about the things that are available & look for the best options. Even fast food places have better options like salads, wraps, turkey burgers, etc... If you're going to be at a bar, plan on drinking a lot of water. Those beer calories add up fast. So just set a limit for yourself before you go and stick to it. You should definitely still enjoy the things you did before, just in moderation. A beer or two isn't going to hurt you. Even a bacon cheeseburger might be ok every now & then but it should be more like a once a week type of meal instead of a twice a day type of meal. If you plan for it you are much more likely to succeed. For example, last week I knew I was going to go to my favorite restaurant on Friday & have lobster mac & cheese. So I knew that was my one exception for the week & it actually helped keep me on track because I knew if I blew it any other day, I wouldn't be able to make the exception on Friday. I did eat very well all week, made it to the gym several times and when Friday came, I felt ok making the exception then. I had my planned dish, some bread, 1/2 a glass of wine & 1/2 a dessert. I weighed in today & I'm down 4.8 lbs for the week... so eating one meal like this will clearly not kill your whole week.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It was same situation for me. 50 yo and needed to lose significant weight before a trip to Jamaica. The only thing that worked for me was intensity and intention. I had to be passionate about losing the weight and had to consider everything going in. I love beer, bourbon, and spiced rum - to drink it, I planned for it. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months (2.2 pounds per week) and it was tough (diet w/MFP, Insanity, and kept strength training). The toughest part was controlling the intake - intensity and intention. By the way, same applies now in maintenance - intensity and intention. Good luck. It is worth it!
This discussion has been closed.