Calories

Options
How did everyone here decide how many calories they should be consuming?

Is 2,000 calories enough? Is it realistic?

Replies

• windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different so any metic that's calculated will always just be a starting point.

Nony summed it up pretty well, trial and error until you get it just right. If you are new to calories it could be helpful to log what you eat on a normal day for a week or two to assess your current consumption. This will at least give you a benchmark to know what is too much or too little depending on whether your goal is to lose, gain or maintain.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What did this site tell you when you entered your stats?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Pick the "Lose 1 pound per week" rate of loss (like it suggests in the wizard.)

Use a realistic Activity Level (the choices are described in Goals.)

Log food and Exercise and eat a little more on exercise days.

Stick with those choices/settings for 4-6 weeks. At the end of that time adjust if necessary. I'd say don't jump around in the beginning. All the first 4-6 does is give you a base data set.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    MFP figures it out for you.

I doubled checked the numbers with some TDEE calculators, which helped me understand how MFP came up with the numbers, but it wasn't necessary.

Once you get started you can adjust based on actual results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    How did everyone here decide how many calories they should be consuming?

Is 2,000 calories enough? Is it realistic?

This calculator calculates it for you once you've put in your stats and weight management objectives.

MFP gives me about 1900 calories to lose 1 Lb per week without any exercise. With exercise I was eating more like 2300-2500 to lose 1 Lb per week.