Water Rower Machine question

Options
What do this bar and the numbers do/mean? Do I need to set it to any specific setting before I use the machine? I’ve been using the water rower for about 2 weeks now and haven’t really noticed any difference regardless of what number the bar is on. Thanks all!
vjb4bmtxm1am.jpeg

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Interesting—I didn’t realize LF had come out with a water rower.

I am going to guess—and I think it’s a pretty good guess—that this is similar to the air damper setting on the flywheel of a Concept 2 rower.

The different settings will adjust the “drag factor” —the perceived effort it takes to apply force to the flywheel. Concept 2 describes it as being similar to gearing on a bike. You can ride at the same speed with a higher gear/lower cadence or vice versa.

The more experienced rowers will jump in with more detail, but the general rule of thumb, esp for beginners is that a lower drag factor is better for both form and performance. Someone at the gym may have more specific information about drag settings for that Life Fitness model.

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    @Azdak is correct. It is the resistance selector. The higher the number the more resistance is placed on the rope while rowing. If you've selected different numbers and see no perceived difference then it may be broken.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Had a hard time finding info on it, but this is as good as I could find for you. I'd start with a lower drag factor (resistance, sort of, in rower terms -- it's meant to emulate how much "drag" your boat has in the water).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuYax8NK-o
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It is a way 2 vary the "drag factor." Although redistsnce is a part of it, the drag factor is NOT exactly the same as "resistance."

The best way 2 describe it that I've read is that the lower the drag factor, the smaller and lighter the boat and the higher the drag factor, the bigger and heavier the boat, that you are simulating rowing.

Accordingly, the lower the drag setting, the less effort that will be required in the pull and the more you will "glide" after completing the stroke and the higher the drag setting, the more effort that will be required in the pull and the less you will glide after completing the stroke.

Generally, you will find yourself stroking less at a lower pace w/a lower damper setting and stroking more at a higher pace w/a higher damper setting.

Neither a very high or low setting is very efficient and you should find yourself going farther at a comfortable pace using a mid range setting instead.

I have rowed over 5 millon meters on my C2 rower using a damper setting of 5.5 and a drag factor of 30 which works 4me as a 69 yr old male who is 5'8" tall and weighs 150#.

I generally row 2500m in sbout 12 min at a pace of 28 strokes per min which burns about 700 kcals/hr which is a very moderate pace 4me.

Play around w/the damper setting 2c what works best 4u.