How to Taper for first Half Marathon?

auburngirl06
auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I’d really appreciate some opinions on how best to taper my runs and other strength training workouts for the next 2 weeks. My first half marathon is January 25. I’ve trained with Hal Higdon’s plan and I completed it a few weeks ago. The longest distance I’ve run to date is 12 miles. I last ran 12 this past Sunday and today I did 5 miles. I’m not entirely sure what I should keep up and how much mileage I should get in before the race. I have roughly 2.5 weeks.

For reference I typically run 3x a week, every other day with my long run on Saturday or Sunday AM. I do strength training 2x per week on my off days.

I’ve been running many years but only picked up my distance to this level in August when I got serious about the half.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! I’m getting both excited it’s finally here and scared at the same time!

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited January 2020
    I've never found the need to taper my running before anything shorter than a marathon. I do, however, stop lifting at least a week before a race. My legs feel so much more fresh if I haven't lifted recently.

Edited to add: I'll typically run 15 miles two Sundays before a half (all of my races have been on Sundays), then 10 miles the Sunday before the race. My shorter runs the days immediately preceding the race are run as usual. This isn't from any training program, but experience has taught me that this works best for my legs.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    If you are following Hal’s plan it should have ended on race week. With last 2 weeks being taper. You ran 12 so you are good for distance. Hal’s plan probably has one more 7-8 mile and couple 3 miles. Final week 1-2 miles couple days and rest the last couple before race day.

Plan how what you are eating the night before race and what you are eating for breakfast

Have fun
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Definitely skip lifting at least a couple days before the race. For someone new to the half you should aim for your longest run to be a couple of weeks out. @daveredvette sounds about right.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Which Hal Higdon plan did you follow? Novice 2 is the one that goes up to 12 miles and does include 2 weeks of taper.

If you didn’t follow that one-take a look at it and follow the last couple of weeks - but err on the side of running less (it it calls for more days running than you have been).

You are not going to get more trained than you are now. You do risk injury/fatigue/inadequate recovery for the race (which is the point of tapering) if you do too much. When it doubt-do less during taper.

And I cut lower body strength work entirely the two weeks before an important and/or long race. YMMV but I want my legs fresh as a daisy for an important (or long) race and like running fitness-you’re not going to get stronger in 2 weeks but you can get injured/fatigued/inadequate recovery.
  • auburngirl06
    edited January 2020
    Which Hal Higdon plan did you follow? Novice 2 is the one that goes up to 12 miles and does include 2 weeks of taper.

If you didn’t follow that one-take a look at it and follow the last couple of weeks - but err on the side of running less (it it calls for more days running than you have been).

You are not going to get more trained than you are now. You do risk injury/fatigue/inadequate recovery for the race (which is the point of tapering) if you do too much. When it doubt-do less during taper.

And I cut lower body strength work entirely the two weeks before an important and/or long race. YMMV but I want my legs fresh as a daisy for an important (or long) race and like running fitness-you’re not going to get stronger in 2 weeks but you can get injured/fatigued/inadequate recovery.

I followed Novice 1. I finished it too early and went ahead and did the 12 mile run on the last week and then have just repeated the last week a couple times. My original half was cancelled so I had to find another. The novice 1 plan had 3 days of running mandatory and 1 additional day as optional run or cross train, I opted for the latter. I feel good and ready. Based on what you said I guess it would be a good idea to just spend the next 2 weeks doing the last 2 weeks of the plan again. And maybe cut out the strength training as well. Thanks!
  • Duck_Puddle

I followed Novice 1. I finished it too early and went ahead and did the 12 mile run on the last week and then have just repeated the last week a couple times. My original half was cancelled so I had to find another. The novice 1 plan had 3 days of running mandatory and 1 additional day as optional run or cross train, I opted for the latter. I feel good and ready. Based on what you said I guess it would be a good idea to just spend the next 2 weeks doing the last 2 weeks of the plan again. And maybe cut out the strength training as well. Thanks!

Don’t listen to me saying follow novice 2. I could have sworn it used to have a couple of taper weeks. It doesn’t. That was horrible advice. Sorry!

I have now actually looked at the current plans.

I would do week 5 of the plan this week (the one ending in a 6 mile long run) and then follow the last week as written. I would not do another 12 mile the week before the half.

• Duck_Puddle
    And have fun!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Here is my typical mileage for the last few weeks of training (short run 1, short run 2, short run 3, long run):

5/5/5/13 (last long run)
    5/5/5/8
    4/4/4/5
    3/3/3/race

This may not line up with your plan. I know not everyone does a 13 mile long run before a half, but it's just the routine I've gotten into and I like the psychological boost of knowing that I can cover the full distance. Even though I've run that distance over a dozen times now. Brains are weird.
  • auburngirl06
    Thanks all!!

@apuum - I did 12 Sunday and I think that will be the last time I cover a long distance. I like your plan and it does line up with where I’m at. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited January 2020
    I followed Novice 1. I finished it too early and went ahead and did the 12 mile run on the last week and then have just repeated the last week a couple times. My original half was cancelled so I had to find another.

I followed the Higdon Novice 2 plan for my first HM in October. I thought it was very good. So sorry you were thrown off by a change in schedule! That's a bummer, and I don't know what I would have done.

But, I think the last two weeks of the Higdon plan were fantastic and I'd try to do exactly those leading up to the event. The final week is definitely a taper with a few short runs. Lifting weights sounds counterproductive. I'm also a swimmer, so I might swim a few days before.

But, if you really want peak performance, you want a couple of rest days before AND a soft week after an event like that. It's kind of a bummer, as you need to adjust your whole regular workout schedule. The week after is a good time to try low-impact cross training (swimming, spinning, elliptical, walking, etc.).
  • auburngirl06
    This taper week before the race is NO JOKE!! Physically stopping myself after a 3 mile run was almost impossible today. Cutting out cross training and weight training this week ugh. I feel so out of sorts. I’m agitated and can’t believe I’m having this much trouble NOT running. I’m ready to get this half over with so I can get back to normal! Thanks all for the support. Wish me luck. 3 more days. Going to need a lot to get through the next 2 rest days.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    It's a good time to clean house or organize your closet;-)
  • Duck_Puddle
    This taper week before the race is NO JOKE!! Physically stopping myself after a 3 mile run was almost impossible today. Cutting out cross training and weight training this week ugh. I feel so out of sorts. I’m agitated and can’t believe I’m having this much trouble NOT running. I’m ready to get this half over with so I can get back to normal! Thanks all for the support. Wish me luck. 3 more days. Going to need a lot to get through the next 2 rest days.

All that means you are doing taper exactly right!

Good luck!
  • auburngirl06
    Thank you everyone!! I had an amazing race this morning. Surpassed my goal!! Guess the taper was worth it 😉

pnkd6tfhbtl3.jpeg
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hooray! That is a really great time, under 10 minute miles the whole way! Wishing you many more good miles.