Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    swaino204 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Have you seen your doctor and had blood tests to rule out medical issues? That should be your first stop.
    apullum wrote: »
    See your doctor.

Whenever anyone says that they are sleeping yet don't feel rested, I recommend asking the doctor whether sleep apnea is a possibility. That is a classic description of sleep apnea, and is what all four of the men in my family who have it experienced. None of them believed that anything was wrong and all of them put off or resisted going to the doctor; now, they all swear by their CPAP machines. Sleep apnea is more common in men than in women, and it can be dangerous if not treated.

Other things to consider, in addition to seeing your doctor:

If you are trying to lose weight: how much weight are you trying to lose, what pace of weight loss did you select, and how many calories are you eating per day? Fatigue can happen due to an overly aggressive deficit.

Is this level of activity new for you, or had you been similarly active for a long time before your tiredness started? If this is a new level of activity, then it could simply be doing too much too soon.
    Go see your doctor and get some blood tests done on your vitamin and mineral levels. Track *all* your symptoms as they can help narrow things down. Find out if your doctor will recommend you get a sleep study done.

No one can really diagnose you here, because there are a million things that can cause this kind of sleepiness/fatigue. PERSONALLY, I've had low D, low B12, low thyroid, low iron, and low BP cause fatigue. Plus, when my adderall wears off it makes me exceedingly tired for about 15 minutes.

You can't just treat most of these things blind, especially not if the only symptom is fatigue. :P It seems like EVERYTHING causes that symptom, INCLUDING perfectly normal responses to a new exercise routine.

Your fastest, probably healthiest results will come from visiting a doctor and getting a few tests done to figure out WHAT to treat, rather than just trial-and-erroring a few things you read about on the internet...

Thanks for your replies!

Doctors it is....let the experts get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks!!

Definitely emphasize the "formerly waking up not breathing" thing with your doc. Most with apnea have many incidents per night, but only a few (if any) conscious wake-ups. And sleep apnea can have really bad long term health effects.

Things that may reduce severity, short of treatment, in short run: Avoid alcohol right before bed; sleep on your side rather than back.

Weight loss, too, if overweight, but that's not short run.
  • swaino204
    swaino204 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

I'm not a lazy individual...I'm relatively active with work, walking the dogs and gym however, every morning I always feel overly tired and more often than not throughout the day. Now it's not a fatigued tiredness, I just feel like I've never had enough sleep and could sleep all day lol. My diet is rather good, plenty veg and fruit aswell as water and for the past couple month I have been using Floradix...supposed to fight tiredness and fatigue aswell as boost iron and vitamins.

Is anyone else in this same position??
    Is there something you have done or doing that has or is helping??
    Did you seek medical advise??

When my anemia is untreated I have crippling fatigue, but I do not recommend people supplement with iron without having had blood work that shows it is needed.

Others have asked about your sleep so I will ask about your calories:

Are you properly fueling your activity? If you are on the site to lose weight (not everyone is, so I do not want to make that assumption) how much weight do you need to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you chose? What percent of calories that you earned from exercise do you eat back? Undereating can definitely cause fatigue.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

The honest answer to that is none.
    I have a goal of 2400 cals a day however I consume around 2600. With my daily walking and work then gym sometimes the app says the cals I have earned is up to 1000 which i never eat back. I dont feel its accurate enough anyway and i certainly dont feel like I'm starving myself
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    katermari wrote: »
    ive gone to the doctor for this, and they found NOTHING. blood tests all came back normal.
    If it's a sleep disorder your labs will likely be normal.

Yup. Sleep disorders tend to run in my family. My mother has insomnia, my oldest son has narcolepsy. I've never been tested, but require 8-10hrs of sleep to function well. I have a sleep study scheduled for my middle son in February.
    Yeah, unfortunately the only way to rule out a sleep disorder is do a sleep study because everything else the Dr. looks at will probably be normal.

Good thing is , in the US anyway, is in many cases you can do a sleep study at home now. Maybe not for narcolepsy though.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Here's an enlightening article: https://www.healthline.com/health/daytime-sleepiness/reasons-youre-tired
    Does any of that sound like it could be true for you? Also, do you happen to be cutting/in a calorie deficit at the moment?

Cheers for that article Peach! Sleep apnea could be a cause. A while ago now I was waking up due to not breathing. Scary although it hasn't happened for quite some time. Docs the way forward I think!

Yes, you could stop breathing while sleeping and not wake up every time so it may be happening more frequently than you think.

I'd of thought I would of woke up tho. I went through a phase where it was happening for a while but like I say I feel like it hasn't happened for a while...or so I think

Unfortunately, not how it always works. People can stop breathing just for a moment and not wake up and notice it. That's why they need to do sleep studies to find out. They will be able to so see your respiratory rate fall off and go up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Here's an enlightening article: https://www.healthline.com/health/daytime-sleepiness/reasons-youre-tired
    Does any of that sound like it could be true for you? Also, do you happen to be cutting/in a calorie deficit at the moment?

Cheers for that article Peach! Sleep apnea could be a cause. A while ago now I was waking up due to not breathing. Scary although it hasn't happened for quite some time. Docs the way forward I think!

Yes, you could stop breathing while sleeping and not wake up every time so it may be happening more frequently than you think.

I'd of thought I would of woke up tho. I went through a phase where it was happening for a while but like I say I feel like it hasn't happened for a while...or so I think

I had a friend who died this way. She had sleep apnea. She had a CPAP machine. One day she laid down to take a nap and didn't use the CPAP and she died because she didn't breathe.

It isn't something to mess with.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

I'm not a lazy individual...I'm relatively active with work, walking the dogs and gym however, every morning I always feel overly tired and more often than not throughout the day. Now it's not a fatigued tiredness, I just feel like I've never had enough sleep and could sleep all day lol. My diet is rather good, plenty veg and fruit aswell as water and for the past couple month I have been using Floradix...supposed to fight tiredness and fatigue aswell as boost iron and vitamins.

When my anemia is untreated I have crippling fatigue, but I do not recommend people supplement with iron without having had blood work that shows it is needed.

Are you properly fueling your activity? If you are on the site to lose weight (not everyone is, so I do not want to make that assumption) how much weight do you need to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you chose? What percent of calories that you earned from exercise do you eat back? Undereating can definitely cause fatigue.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I have a goal of 2400 cals a day however I consume around 2600. With my daily walking and work then gym sometimes the app says the cals I have earned is up to 1000 which i never eat back. I dont feel its accurate enough anyway and i certainly dont feel like I'm starving myself

How long have you been eating this number of calories, and is your weight behaving as expected?

The only exercise calorie estimate that is 100% wrong is zero. While 1000 calories burned in exercise sounds high, you also know that you burned more than zero calories. The correct number is likely somewhere in between, which is why we recommend eating half your estimated exercise calories unless you're confident that they're calculated accurately.

If you are significantly undereating, then that could explain your fatigue. However, if your weight is doing exactly what you expect it to do over a month or more, then it could be that errors in food logging--such as not using a food scale or not consistently sticking with your calorie goal--are offsetting the exercise calorie error.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Supporting @apullum above:

"Feeling" is a bad guide. If you're losing rapidly (or have been losing more moderately for a long time), that's a stress on your body, and effects cone home to roost.

I lost too fast for a while (MFP underestimates my needs, rare but possible - I ate all my carefully estimated exercise calories). I wasn't hungry, and felt great . . . until suddenly, I didn't. Weak and fatigued. Even though I corrected quickly, it took several weeks to recovery normal energy and strength.

Fatigue alone can be a warning sign. (I am, and then already was, a short-endurance athlete, so depleted strength becomes more obvious, more quickly.)

If you're losing pretty fast (1% plus, or even close, of current body weight weekly - less if near goal), or have been losing for many weeks or months, eat a little more, see if it helps (over a week or few).
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I had a friend who died this way. She had sleep apnea. She had a CPAP machine. One day she laid down to take a nap and didn't use the CPAP and she died because she didn't breathe.

It isn't something to mess with.

Even short of this, untreated sleep apnea materially increases heart disease risk.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Unfortunately, not how it always works. People can stop breathing just for a moment and not wake up and notice it. That's why they need to do sleep studies to find out. They will be able to so see your respiratory rate fall off and go up.

Yes. I was having incidents many dozens of times a night, and only waking up 4-6 that I realized. And that's fairly mild sleep apnea. (I never woke up feeling like I was choking . . . just woke up.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

Unless I've missed it, you don't mention how much you sleep at night.

I am usually getting 6 - 7hrs midweek on weekends I'll be getting at least 8

Here's a thought ... how about getting 7.5 hours each week day next week and see how you feel then.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options

Yikes.

Just an FYI, it IS happening. If it is apnea, your body is not getting enough oxygen. I too, woke up coughing (a scary choking feeling) every now and then. It happened maybe once a year. That's not too bad, right? I made my husband do a sleep study because he started snoring much more than usual, with no weight gain. When I read the results of his study and what apnea really is, I went straight to the phone to make my own appointment. I had an idea that I might have it. I have had symptoms for 20+ years. But when I found out how dangerous it is (mainly to your heart), it scared me. We've both had CPAPs for a little over 3 years. The difference in my sleep is unbelievable. Within a month, I knew I had to use this machine for the rest of my life and I didn't care because I sleep so well now.

Your situation might be different, but it's best to get to the bottom of it. I found out that there are minor "episodes" that happen that I am not aware of. The CPAP has diminished them significantly. Sleep deprivation is real. And it sucks.