Addictions

Options
FatToFitChaser
FatToFitChaser Posts: 192 Member
So how do you control your addiction to certain things that you know that are not good for you but we end up doing for temporary pleasure , it can be anything sugar cravings , alcohol, movies and many other forms that I won't mention here .

I know it's a mind game but I have seen I can go good for 6 days and then one day I blow it all up and then back to trying not to mess up , the cycle is never ending.

May be knowing how you folks overcome these addictions , may help me with more ideas

Stay Strong 💪 💪

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you don't mean an actual addiction like Nicotine or pain killers? I quit smoking and it was white-knuckling and riding out physical and mental cravings, it was awful. I was on pain killers for 20 years and wasn't mentally addicted but was physically dependent on them. I went cold turkey on that and an anti-anxiety drug I was put on for nerve pain and felt like I had a horrible flu for a couple weeks, I ended spending a lot of time in the bathroom and crawling around the house I was so weak.

For sugar cravings honestly not eating it is the best way I've found to cope with it but everyone is different. I don't keep it in the house and only have it when out places. I'll have days where I'll find I'm craving apples and butternut squash for the sweetness. I've found stevia ok for tasting something sweet without putting in the cravings for sugar. Could be because I like my sweets with fat, like ice cream or chocolate.
  • FatToFitChaser
    Options
    Actually I struggle with sweet cravings, but in general any addiction is a long battle with oneself I think.

Yeah I struggle with portion controls when it comes to sweets and just takes a bite of a sweet trigger the cravings.

Thanks for sharing your journey and I am sure you have a strong self control and have learned how to work around it..
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I love beer but I refrain from drinking it because I gain so much weight. I also like wine but I have trained myself to only have it one day out of the week also not to gain weight same goes for fried food.
  • FatToFitChaser
    Options
    @mommabear4315 : that's adorable that you have trained your mind, I think training mind is a the key and turning it into a habit..

@eatpolerepeat : A bit curious about those but as long as those are having a positive impact on ya, those are worth
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Big sugar addict here. :( I always have gum or mints on hand when I start feeling weak. Plus I do throw things out if I can't resist them and nobody else is going to eat them. Had lots of leftover cookies from the holidays and what didn't get taken by others, got dumped. I just can't keep that stuff in the house because I don't stop eating it til it's gone. I made dh take the leftover Halloween candy and hide it if he wanted to eat it. :/ Yeh, if sugar is what you crave, it's best to get rid of as much of that temptation as you can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So how do you control your addiction to certain things that you know that are not good for you but we end up doing for temporary pleasure , it can be anything sugar cravings , alcohol, movies and many other forms that I won't mention here .

I know it's a mind game but I have seen I can go good for 6 days and then one day I blow it all up and then back to trying not to mess up , the cycle is never ending.

May be knowing how you folks overcome these addictions , may help me with more ideas

Stay Strong 💪 💪

I haven't figured it out. I'm an alcoholic and it's rough. I was actually doing decent until Thanksgiving rolled around and we went out of town to visit my BIL and SIL and the rest of the family and drinks were being pored everywhere.

I attend AA, but not religiously though I will go on streaks. I've just joined a new gym that has a lot of different amenities and right now I'm trying to go every evening after work to spin on Monday, lift Tuesday, spin Wednesday, lift Thursday and then Fridays my oldest boy has archery tournaments. I'm usually pretty good during the week because I don't usually get home until around 7 and then I just have to make it a couple of hours before I go to bed. Weekends are rough though.

As an aside, as an alcoholic I feel that the word addiction is often thrown around loosey goosey. As an example, I really don't think sugar is an addiction, if it were, eating an apple or banana would satisfy the craving. Being an alcoholic, when cravings are bad, anything will do...I may have a preference, but anything I can get my hands on will work...I hate gin for example, but I've taken straight shots of the stuff when nothing else was around. I do believe compulsive overeating is a psychological addiction.
  • FatToFitChaser
    Options
    @ReenieHJ : I hear ya and yes trying
    @eatpolerepeat : It's all good :)
    @cwolfman13 : I really like your perspective about defining addiction. You can do it mate.