Tone but Maintain weight

Options
Anyone have tips on toning but maintaining the same weight. I for some reason am fixated on a number. I would like to tone without gaining weight. Any advise. Oh and as much as running would do this...even with the right shoes my body can not handle running...bad knees...

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you stop weighing yourself altogether. If you are more concerned with how much you weight then how you look and feel, that is a different issue altogether. Lift weights, do HIIT, be happy.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you stop weighing yourself altogether. If you are more concerned with how much you weight then how you look and feel, that is a different issue altogether. Lift weights, do HIIT, be happy.

/thread.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would do 4 to 5 sets of strength training exercises with 5 reps to a set and HIIT.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try pilates and other videos from fitnessblender.com, do bodyweight exercises and strengthen your core.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is like this:

Stop weighing yourself because you will gain in numbers while building muscle since it does weigh more than fat. Lift heavy, do HIIT and you've got this down packed. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Stop weighing yourself because you will gain in numbers while building muscle since it does weigh more than fat. Lift heavy, do HIIT and you've got this down packed. :)

OP isn't going to gain that much muscle mass though, even at surplus or maintenance.

Agreed though, the tape measure is the true indicator of progress.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Anyone have tips on toning but maintaining the same weight. I for some reason am fixated on a number. I would like to tone without gaining weight. Any advise. Oh and as much as running would do this...even with the right shoes my body can not handle running...bad knees...

1. You need to change your mentality. You should not be fixated on a #...esp if you're wanting to gain muscle. Muscle weighs much more than fat, so you may be headed for disaster if you keep this mindset. Focus on the fitment of your clothes/how you look...not the # on the scale. =))

2. Lift weights. My bf has been lifting for 7+ yrs and he's bulked up and maintained when he hit his goal. He groups 2 muscle groups together and is on a 3-day rotation of different groupings. He rests on the 4th day and makes that his cardio day. Then, after about a month, he changes his routine/grouping of muscles to create muscle confusion to avoid plateauing.

Good luck!
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle ways the same as a 1lb of fat. It is less in mass, so you can weigh 140lbs and look entirely different depending on your body composition. Muscle takes up less space and is dense, compared to fat.

If you want to remain the same weight, work out your TDEE and start lifting.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into isometrics. They will tone you and change the shape of your body very quickly. I started 6 months ago and just do them sporadically and sometimes I look at my legs in the shower and am amazed.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat a surplus and stay off the scale for like the first month after you start lifting. You will pack on a few extra lbs of water at the beginning, but it goes away once your body gets used to the training.

Heck, the scale still goes up every time I do a long run or extra-heavy workout for a day or so. You just have to ignore it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle ways the same as a 1lb of fat. It is less in mass, so you can weigh 140lbs and look entirely different depending on your body composition. Muscle takes up less space and is dense, compared to fat.

If you want to remain the same weight, work out your TDEE and start lifting.

I have an MFP pro tip for you.....drop arguing about muscle weighing more than fat. It's semantics, and everyone is (almost) always talking about the same thing. You'll go bonkers trying to correct it.