Petition to get Disagree button removed

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    7pyne1aqe2ek.jpg
    Or we can all just get lit and play in a big ball pit together 👍☺

I'll get lit from the table near the ball pit, thanks. Ball pits are gross and smell like feet. :tongue:
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It’s all fun and games until someone pisses in the ball pit from drinking too much
  • Pupnuzz
    Pupnuzz Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So what I'm gathering is no one has compassion for all the new members here who are being slammed with disagrees all over the place? People coming to this place looking for support on thier weight loss journey. Who finally make a post and someone just hits disagree because "eh, I'm allowed too" how is that supposed to motivate someone or encourage them or be supportive?
    There even rules about it in the community terms of service incase you're wondering! Go read it!

All of you are thinking way too small with your "privelage" to hit a disagree button.

Pupnuzz wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but as a community that is supposed to be supportive. I feel the disagree button has no place here. The recent events in the selfie thread have made it clear that it will be used for abuse. And I've seen people all over the place in the diet, support and other places using it on people's positive posts too. I think that if you disagree with someone so strongly then the person should have to make an actual post discussing why and create a healthy dialogue. That is the way support and communities progress. Not hiding behind a button. Other forums I've used will actually post your username publicly at the bottom of posts you disagree with so that you can be held responsible and make your point of view known.

Disagreeing with a post adds nothing to discussion value, where as replying and positive ratings do.

So I'm asking those who agree to also post in this thread and help notify the moderators that we think there needs to be changed or at least modifications to the disagree button.

Why does a positive rating without a comment add value when a disagree doesn't?

Because a positive ratings lifts someone up and ecourages thier journey, regardless if someone replies. A negative rating is demoralising and adds nothing of value to a person's journey. Especially when it's on posts of people starting out weightloss, looking for support, people offering support and people even offering recipies and advice. How or why someone can disagree with a recipie is well beyond my understanding, let alone disagreeing with someone who's looking for weight loss support
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    So what I'm gathering is no one has compassion for all the new members here who are being slammed with disagrees all over the place? People coming to this place looking for support on thier weight loss journey. Who finally make a post and someone just hits disagree because "eh, I'm allowed too" how is that supposed to motivate someone or encourage them or be supportive?
    There even rules about it in the community terms of service incase you're wondering! Go read it!

All of you are thinking way too small with your "privelage" to hit a disagree button.

I don't know about anyone else, but as a community that is supposed to be supportive. I feel the disagree button has no place here. The recent events in the selfie thread have made it clear that it will be used for abuse. And I've seen people all over the place in the diet, support and other places using it on people's positive posts too. I think that if you disagree with someone so strongly then the person should have to make an actual post discussing why and create a healthy dialogue. That is the way support and communities progress. Not hiding behind a button. Other forums I've used will actually post your username publicly at the bottom of posts you disagree with so that you can be held responsible and make your point of view known.

Disagreeing with a post adds nothing to discussion value, where as replying and positive ratings do.

So I'm asking those who agree to also post in this thread and help notify the moderators that we think there needs to be changed or at least modifications to the disagree button.

Because a positive ratings lifts someone up and ecourages thier journey, regardless if someone replies. A negative rating is demoralising and adds nothing of value to a person's journey. Especially when it's on posts of people starting out weightloss, looking for support, people offering support and people even offering recipies and advice. How or why someone can disagree with a recipie is well beyond my understanding, let alone disagreeing with someone who's looking for weight loss support

You know my stance on this, yo. There are quite a few of us who are supportive. A lot of us have simply been around long enough to see the "buttons" go through changes. Honestly, if I had my way (which I never do), I would do away with ALL of the buttons because then people would either be forced to voice their dissent, approval, encouragement or shut up and move on. Put up or shut up, pretty much.

Sadly, the MFP forum environment is such that this will likely never happen. We aren't allowed to engage in any really heated arguments on here (about anything) without the threads getting shut down, so most people have resorted to passive-aggressive button pushing.

Do I agree with it? No. I do my best to ignore it these days.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Also, full disclosure. Earlier on when I received my first disagrees I had paused for reflection on if I may have offended someone or said something quite insensitive. I still may do so if I notice, but not to any great extent. The anon disagrees I take more lightly. If someone has a concern or are offended, they are likely to post and I value that interaction much more. I give the same quarter to the positive ones, but I suppose it is nice to get hugs or inspire someone. Again, if they really enjoy it, they would probably follow up with a post.

My advice (everyone is getting unsolicited advice from me, yay) is do your thing as you will as long as you are not flagrantly hurting someone else.
  • s131951
    Options
    how about a petition to get rid of selfie threats vs. the disagree button....

What is a selfie threat?
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    *realizes it's ironic to disagree with this post*

*disagrees anyway*
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    7pyne1aqe2ek.jpg
    Or we can all just get lit and play in a big ball pit together 👍☺

Count me in!
  • s131951
    Options
    Joeyd727 wrote: »

I think everyone here for the most part supports each other's health and weightloss/gain/lift journey. I just don't think most people give 2 💩's about a silly button. I'm sure there are some who do and those who do abuse those stupid things but in the end of the day it's just a sad face button. Just ignore it. I would think the positivity that other preach and share to each other on comments and posts would have more of an impact that the sad face button.
    I got disagreed one-time for saying I didn't like eggplant 🤷🏻‍♂️ I didn't go and cry about it. Just move on, if you let silly things like this impact your progress and life then you'll never achieve your goals.

I think I received a swarm of disagrees wandering into a thread that was about sports bras or something. I knew I was pushing the red, shiny, candy-like button, but I couldn't stop.