Gaining weight on a veggie diet ???

Options
So I just got this app and the more I use it the more I want to eat clean. I started a veggie diet and oh man it’s hard as heck. So I just wanted to info on what to eat to maintain or even gain weight.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What to eat: anything that puts you at your calorie goal to gain weight.

Specific plant foods that are higher calorie: nuts, grains, avocado, coconut, plant oils.

If you share what you're finding hard about it, people may have better suggestions for you.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Answer: Whatever you want... only less calories than your body needs to gain. Read, enough for maintenance.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    No matter what way of eating you have adopted calories are ultimately what affect weight management. If you want to gain you have to eat more than what you burn. How are you tracking what you are eating? If you want to gain you should be consuming more high calorie foods - avocado, nuts/seeds (and their butters), whole grains, beans in addition to all the fruits and veggies. If you are vegetarian you can also consider whole milk, eggs and cheese.
  • zeekngreatness
    zeekngreatness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys. What I have a hard time is finding food that have enough substance to fill me up really. Being Latino you get used to eating rice n beans with meat or chicken everyday. So with the veggie fast I’m on, I was clueless in finding things to eat. But I have bought beans, brown rice, all sorts of veggies. It has been ok but I’m not meeting my calorie goal of 3k. I’m not familiar with high calorie veggies

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys. What I have a hard time is finding food that have enough substance to fill me up really. Being Latino you get used to eating rice n beans with meat or chicken everyday. So with the veggie fast I’m on, I was clueless in finding things to eat. But I have bought beans, brown rice, all sorts of veggies. It has been ok but I’m not meeting my calorie goal of 3k. I’m not familiar with high calorie veggies

High calorie vegetables include avocado (technically a fruit, but whatever), corn, and potatoes/sweet potatoes. You can also add things like nuts to your meals to add more calories. Basically you can still have your rice and beans, you'll just be adding other stuff besides meat. I love a good walnut "chorizo": https://walnuts.org/recipe/california-walnut-chorizo-crumble/

• zeekngreatness
    zeekngreatness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That dish looks amazing. Thank you
  • miaow828
    miaow828 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If the diet is hard to maintain, maybe switch it for one that is more sustainable and will still keep you on track for your goals :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    miaow828 wrote: »
    If the diet is hard to maintain, maybe switch it for one that is more sustainable and will still keep you on track for your goals :)

Once you understand the calorie counts of various plant foods, it's really not hard to design a higher calorie plant-based diet. It's just a learning curve, like it can often be when one is adopting a new way of eating. This doesn't mean it isn't sustainable (although, of course, OP may come to realize that this doesn't work for him for other reasons).