When to count calories?

Options
So I’m pretty new to counting calories. I used to workout years ago but had to stop due to a serious injury which caused me to lose a lot of weight. Now I’m recovered I want to gain May weight and muscle back. I’m currently 5.9’ and 56.5kg. I’m doing a dirty bulk so lots of fast food, high calorie, high fat plus 2lts of milk each day. So how important is it to count calories if doing dirty bulk when it’s clear daily intake is more than needed? Also, because I don’t have much routine for times to eat and sleep, using MFP to log calories can look odd if recording from midnight to midnight as it shows as missing target one day but crazy amount higher the next day. So should we record midnight to midnight or wake up to sleep?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I believe you can change the time zone in MFP to reflect your day.

But to log or not is really up to you and if it will help you reach your goals. I would recommend you at least track your weight so you know if and how quickly you are gaining. You need some gauge to know how you are doing. (I personally don't log but I track my trend weight over time and adjust as necessary)

Just keep in mind that the quicker you gain the more fat you will gain. Also if you are interested in gaining muscle I would recommend making sure you get enough protein, nutrition and follow a lifting/resistance program of some sort.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I believe you can change the time zone in MFP to reflect your day.

Yes, you can. My own personal "midnight" is at 7:00pm, local time. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do in the app, but on the desktop you click the "Settings" link at the top of the screen (in the white margin, not in the blue with the other tab options) and the option to "Change Time Zone" is halfway down the Account Settings list.