Core exercises for the concussed...?

castadiva
castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
I was recently involved in an accident that resulted in fairly severe concussion. Moving my head up and down, either independently or as part of a whole-body movement, or tilting it forwards or backwards, leads to significant dizziness and (sometimes) nausea.

I went back to the gym today for the first time, post-accident, and took things reasonably gently, but discovered pretty quickly that kettlebell swings, sit-ups/crunches, burpees, lunges/squats or any exercise that repeatedly changes the height or position of my head are definitely out of the question for now. I can work around that for my upper and lower body, and for general cardio, but I'm struggling to think of core-strengthening exercises I can manage while the concussion is ongoing. Does anyone have any suggestions for me, please? Again, the critical factor is keeping my head stationary, whether that's lying down, sitting or standing.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Planks. Lying Leg Lifts. But definitely take it easy and talk to your doc about it. I'm assuming you've been cleared by a doc. Ifnot, stop working out until you are.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    If you've got medical clearance to exercise again, you can't beat planks and side planks for static core workouts. Reverse crunches would probably work too. Also try single/double leg lowers (lie on back with knees at a right angle, stretch out one or both legs until they're an inch or so from the floor). You could also try knees to elbows - get in top push-up position and pull your knee in to the opposite elbow.

Hope you're fully recovered soon :flowerforyou:
  • castadiva
    Thank you both. The doctor said I was fine to start exercising again, but warned that I'd have to see what would and wouldn't work for my situation right now, and just take things one step at a time. I have a lower back injury (years old, not from the accident) that makes planks difficult, but I've not tried a side plank, and had never heard of reverse crunches!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Not sure you meant core, or Core exercises.

Use the resistance machines, use the bikes. Also, head over to the body builders end of they gym, they love a good sit down for most exercises.
  • castadiva

Use the resistance machines, use the bikes. Also, head over to the body builders end of they gym, they love a good sit down for most exercises.

Sorry, that probably wasn't overly clear! I meant exercises for the core muscles, in the Pilates sense of the word!
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    I can sympathize with your situation. I have had multiple concussions over the years which has led to lesions on my brain. Fun city, population: me! For core work definitely incorporate planks, side hovers, supermans and, when you are ready, add in woodchops. I do my woodchops with a resistance band. If your gym offers a CxWorx class that is a great class to work your core. Good luck and heal up soon.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Captain's chair leg raises gives the core a good workout and you don't move your head at all.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    A weighted adult-size hula hoop is a great core workout. Low impact and little head movement.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    In & Outs
    Leg Lifts
    Scissors
    Captains Chair

Take it easy for a while. A few exercises now and then to maintain strength and definition, but don't push too hard. Your health (head) is far more important right now!!!!
  • ovhenderson
    ovhenderson Posts: 13 Member
    Planks, also called bridges are great core strengthening exercises. Most people overlook them. The standard plank/bridge works your transverse abdominals and low back. Those are the abs that suck everything in like a girdle. The side planks/bridge works your obliques..you can rotate with it to pick up on both your internal and external obliques.

For the reverse crunches, try raising one leg up off the floor at a time, then work up to both legs so that you don't strain your back. Just take your time...results will come if you just stick with it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    if your not doing hanging knee ups or leg lifts do them , concussion or no concussion.

btw, if the inch or two ROM in a crunch makes you dizzy, i'm wondering if there's complications or something from the concussion.

I had a motorcycle accident with brain hemoraging and i didn't experience this.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member

Sorry, that probably wasn't overly clear! I meant exercises for the core muscles, in the Pilates sense of the word!

Well you can understand me jumping to the wrong conclusion, due to your example of exercises for the core.

If it's just some exercises for your core that's causing complications to your brain's recovery, you've got to question your priorities.
  • castadiva
    Thank you all for the useful suggestions - I'll give them a try tomorrow morning. For some reason, I hadn't thought of Captain's Chair/Hanging Leg lifts, though I was doing that pre-accident. Several of the others look like good possibilities as well

Re. the crunch ROM - I think it's more to do with the angle my head is on in a crunch, rather than the movement itself, as I have day-to-day issues tilting my head forward/backward as well. Another check-up in two weeks, so I'll get that looked at then, if it's still an issue (I'm only 4.5 weeks post-accident, so some issues are still to be expected). Brain hemorrhage (or lesions!) doesn't sound good - hope you're OK now!

The doctor has cleared me to exercise, for those who messaged me to express concern. I just have to take things gently and figure out what does and does not cause an issue at the moment. Core-focused work was the thing I found most difficult to substitute with alternative exercises, hence asking for suggestions, which I appreciate very much. Believe me, I'm in no rush to exacerbate the problem, and the health/recovery of my brain is definitely my priority - I just want to get on with living as much as I can, within the scope of my current limitations, which means looking for alternatives that don't affect my healing brain in a negative way. I