Sugar or sugar substitute?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Im sorry but Stevia tastes nasty and tastes nothing like Sugar ...

I haven't noticed that. I love using stevia to sweeten things. Maybe it's the brand you're using. Some of them have various additives. Depending on how it's processed, I've heard it can be kind of bitter.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners taste nasty and give me Horrible headaches! I started using Agave, which doesn't taste bad, but the sugar and calorie count is WAY higher then organic sugar. I'm switching back to sugar n the raw or organic sugar. Sugar in the raw comes in easy to calculate packets.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    No man made sweetener here. We only use the real stuff in our house.
  • SpideywomanRG
    Options
    On one of the shows, Dr.Oz had this one woman who craves sugar and was gaining weight and looked terrible. She changed from that to agave nectar and loves it. She lost weight from that. It's more natural for our body and healthier.

4H Club at one of the Country Fairs I went to in Florida and it was April this year, did a scientific research on artificial sweeteners. I wished I stayed longer and took pictures but I remembered that stevia and sugar in the raw were better in the long run than splenda, sweet and low, and equal. Splenda, Sweet & Low, and Equal leads to cancer and some other health issues in the long run.

In the magazine that my husband subscribes to called Beverly International, it is a bodybuilding magazine and bodybuilders are very militaristic in what to consume and what not and they had this AD in that magazine, Sugar in the Raw and Stevia. They won't advertise those in their magazines if they are not good for the bodybuilders.

I'm interested in proven facts and do research from reliable sources and I thought I'd add where I saw that from to help you decide which one you prefer and feel comfortable consuming. :)

I live in the South and my family prefers the real sugar. I use that to make sweet tea but I know it's not good for me. My dad would tell me when I was little that real sugar is man made and is bad for me. I believe him.

Anyway, so far, stevia, agave nectar, and sugar in the raw are your best bet in staying healthy and losing weight.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy,,... I use Splenda. It's ♥ in a small, easy to carry, sugar free packet !
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Artificial Sweeteners are fine.

Stop this madness.

It's gotta be tough, railing against invisible demons all the time. Your post has nothing to do with OPs question.

It's gotta be tough, realising that I was clearly replying to a whole range of people who were saying things like "I dont trust artificial sweetners"

What does it matter if someone doesn't trust artificial sweeteners? Personally I'm from the "If I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it" group.

It's the same thing as the whole "which is better - butter or margarine" crap.
    You do know all vitamins and minerals pretty much have unpronounceable names, right? Oh sure, they have "brand names" like vitamin a or vitamin e, but the actual name is ridiculously hard to pronounce.

Kinda like aspartame and sweet-n-low, or sucralose and Splenda. Would you eat something called malus domesticus? How about punica granatam? How about thunnus alalunga? Those are commonly known as apple, pomegranate, and tuna, respectively.

To answer the OP's question, I just use sugar. I'm not really picky about brand, and I use different types for different things when cooking, but just plain old granulated sugar for sweetening drinks. Sometimes I'll use honey, but that's pretty much only with green tea.

I generally use artificial sweeteners only in diet sodas, just because I don't have a use for them in the house, nothing wrong with them, as long as you don't have an allergy.
  • tigersword
    Options
    On one of the shows, Dr.Oz had this one woman who craves sugar and was gaining weight and looked terrible. She changed from that to agave nectar and loves it. She lost weight from that. It's more natural for our body and healthier.

4H Club at one of the Country Fairs I went to in Florida and it was April this year, did a scientific research on artificial sweeteners. I wished I stayed longer and took pictures but I remembered that stevia and sugar in the raw were better in the long run than splenda, sweet and low, and equal. Splenda, Sweet & Low, and Equal leads to cancer and some other health issues in the long run.

In the magazine that my husband subscribes to called Beverly International, it is a bodybuilding magazine and bodybuilders are very militaristic in what to consume and what not and they had this AD in that magazine, Sugar in the Raw and Stevia. They won't advertise those in their magazines if they are not good for the bodybuilders.

I'm interested in proven facts and do research from reliable sources and I thought I'd add where I saw that from to help you decide which one you prefer and feel comfortable consuming. :)

I live in the South and my family prefers the real sugar. I use that to make sweet tea but I know it's not good for me. My dad would tell me when I was little that real sugar is man made and is bad for me. I believe him.

Anyway, so far, stevia, agave nectar, and sugar in the raw are your best bet in staying healthy and losing weight.
    Ha, hate to tell you this, but bodybuilding magazines only care about making money, not what's good for bodybuilders. They will advertise whatever product pays them. In fact, bodybuilding (and most fitness magazines actually) are where most of the ridiculous myths that a lot of us try our best to debunk with science actually come from.

As for artificial sweeteners causing cancer, there's no study that's ever shown that, even using 100 times the recommended dosage (which is far more than a person will ever consume in a day, as even the recommended safe dosage is roughly 2,500 to 4,000mg a day*, which is the equivalent of 14 to 22 cans of diet soda a day. The research used dosages of 100 times that, so the equivalent of 1400-2200 cans of diet soda a day, and could find no relation between aspartame and cancer.

*The actual acceptable daily intake for aspartame is 50mg per kilogram of body weight in the USA. I picked arbitrary weights of 50 and 80 kg for purposes of illustration. I figured that was a pretty good range from someone very small, to someone of around average size. If you weigh more or less, your intake would vary accordingly, but even then, as an 84.5kg person, my daily intake limit would actually be higher than the numbers stated, but i don't even come anywhere near the lower number, and I'm willing to bet 99.99% of people on this planet wouldn't even come near it either.

Edited for typos.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

It's gotta be tough, railing against invisible demons all the time. Your post has nothing to do with OPs question.

It's gotta be tough, realising that I was clearly replying to a whole range of people who were saying things like "I dont trust artificial sweetners"

What does it matter if someone doesn't trust artificial sweeteners? Personally I'm from the "If I can't pronounce it, I won't eat it" group.

You do know all vitamins and minerals pretty much have unpronounceable names, right? Oh sure, they have "brand names" like vitamin a or vitamin e, but the actual name is ridiculously hard to pronounce.

Kinda like aspartame and sweet-n-low, or sucralose and Splenda. Would you eat something called malus domesticus? How about punica granatam? How about thunnus alalunga? Those are commonly known as apple, pomegranate, and tuna, respectively.

Really? You're pulling the botanical and subgenus/species card on an artificial sweetener thread? I couldn't care less what the scientific name of apples & tuna are - they're natural. All I was getting at is that a chemically derrived sweetener with compounds including something resembling a Canadian zip code isn't something I want to put in my body.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    In college, I stopped adding sugar to coffee and I usually don't add sweeteners to coffee and tea. You can save yourself a lot of calories right there if you can eliminate it.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

Really? You're pulling the botanical and subgenus/species card on an artificial sweetener thread? I couldn't care less what the scientific name of apples & tuna are - they're natural. All I was getting at is that a chemically derrived sweetener with compounds including something resembling a Canadian zip code isn't something I want to put in my body.
    Huh? Aspartame is aspartic acid, a naturally occuring amino acid that's in every protein source that exists on Earth, and phenylalanine, an essential amino acid that is also found in pretty much all protein sources. Nothing that resembles a zip code. The only thing that makes it "artificial" is the fact that manufacturers get the amino acids and combine them together, rather than extracting them from say, chicken (which incidentally, contains the rough equivalent of 24 cans of diet sodas' worth of aspartame.)

Besides, you said nothing about natural vs artificial, you said you don't eat things you can't pronounce. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of that statement. Better to just say you'd prefer not to eat artificial foods.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine

Stop this madness.

Huh? Aspartame is aspartic acid, a naturally occuring amino acid that's in every protein source that exists on Earth, and phenylalanine, an essential amino acid that is also found in pretty much all protein sources. Nothing that resembles a zip code. The only thing that makes it "artificial" is the fact that manufacturers get the amino acids and combine them together, rather than extracting them from say, chicken (which incidentally, contains the rough equivalent of 24 cans of diet sodas' worth of aspartame.)

Besides, you said nothing about natural vs artificial, you said you don't eat things you can't pronounce. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of that statement. Better to just say you'd prefer not to eat artificial foods.

Actually, if you read my original post on the first page you would see I *did* say that. Enjoy your God complex. / thread
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Use the one you like... I like Nectresse for some things, baking with half real sugar, half splenda, splenda brown on my oatmeal, sweet-n-low in my coffee, equal never. stevia rarely unless its in my whey protein.

NOTE: If you do decide to try Xylitol make sure you know it is highly toxic to pets -- this is why I do not have it my house, ever.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options

Yes, thank you. I get so tired of the "OMG, IT'S ARTIFICIAL AND I CAN'T PRONOUNCE IT!" hysteria. Arsenic and cyanide are natural. So is lead. And mercury. And feces! And digitalis. And I wouldn't eat those even though I can pronounce them quite well. (Well, OK, I actually do "eat" digitalis in my meds, even though it is, in fact, pesticide that foxgloves make.)

That said, I'm a beekeeper. My sweetener of choice is honey. If that doesn't work for consistency or flavor's sake, it's either agave nectar or plain old cheap-o granulated sugar. Or brown sugar. Or maple syrup. But then, I don't drink coffee (Can't stand the taste), so I have no idea how honey might taste in coffee. But when it comes to what to pack for college, I vote for whatever's cheapest, myself. That's what I went for when I was a starving student! Because really? All of it is equally "good" or "bad" for you, assuming that you aren't diabetic; it's just a matter of how many calories you want to spend, if calories concern you.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Yes, thank you. I get so tired of the "OMG, IT'S ARTIFICIAL AND I CAN'T PRONOUNCE IT!" hysteria. Arsenic and cyanide are natural. So is lead. And mercury. And feces! And digitalis.

We've also had more experience with them. Centuries worth. I ingest synthetic sweeteners and additives because I live in the modern world, but I don't assume they're safe. The FDA does not have the best track record.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    We've also had more experience with them. Centuries worth. I ingest synthetic sweeteners and additives because I live in the modern world, but I don't assume they're safe. The FDA does not have the best track record.

Ah, but the nice thing is that you don't have to "assume." Don't worry about what the FDA thinks; "worry" about what the science says, because that's what the FDA listens to, anyway. Not a single study has linked aspartame (again, a compound made of two amino acids, stuff we all eat every day in lots of other things) to any sort of health risk, unless one has PKU and therefore cannot have phenylalanine, one of those amino acids. And it's been the artificial sweetener of choice for what? 30 years now? Ever since saccharin was smeared by the FDA...and then resurrected by the FDA as safe when it was discovered that, oops, rats aren't exactly like humans after all, and that what causes bladder cancer in a male rat after being fed (massive doses of) saccharin is unique to rat physiology and does not apply to humans. But that's science for ya. Self-correcting and all that. But surely if aspartame was evil, there would've been someone killed or at least sickened by it by now. But...?

Anyway, my point is that "natural" is not always synonymous with "healthy" and "artificial" is not always synonymous with "unhealthy." It depends on the thing in question. So...I'm gonna go with the science, myself, and leave worrying to others. Maybe that approach to life will bite me in the butt one day, but it hasn't yet. :)
  • orly99
    orly99 Posts: 8
    Options
    Artificial Sweeteners for my coffee and normal sugar for cooking but I don't have a sweet tooth so I can get by without extra or much of either.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I use stevia to sweeten my greek yoghurt and xylitol in my tea (because it has been shown to help with tooth decay and so such). Oh and I drink diet coke, so thumbs up to aspartame!
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dont normally use sugars because of a history of diabetes in the family but I absolutely love Coconut Sugar. Much like Agave sugar, its "supposedly" lower on the glycemic index however, I love it for the rich nutty flavor it adds to foods.