Hot Yoga Mat

Hello!! I am in the market for a new hot yoga mat that has a great grip. I currently have a lululemon one that I like, but it's about 5 years old and I need a new one. Any recommendations?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I do several types of yoga except hot but my studio has several very popular hot yoga classes per week and I just bought my new mat directly from them so I know it would be suitable for hot yoga. However, I don't remember the brand right now so let me look tonight and I'll try to remember to post tomorrow.
  • I use the Manduka Eko. I do notice that for classes over 60 minutes, I need to use a yogi toes towel.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    I love the extra thick squishy Manduka Pro. Not the lightest so if you are walking or cycling to class maybe get a ProLite instead. The Manduka mats are really easy to care for, and while I haven't had mine for terribly long I can see that they are very durable because they are the type of mat my gym stocks and those mats are in really good shape even after being used a few times a day by many people.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I like Jade. Grippy and thick.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    On the pricier side of things, a few years ago when I was doing a lot of hot yoga I was having a lot of issues slipping on a regular mat as the class went on. So I went out and bought an Aurorae Synergy Yoga mat. One side is a terry fabric and the other a sticky rubber for the floor. Very absorbent and gets stickier the wetter it gets. The only down side other than cost is that if you do a regular yoga class where you are not sweating a lot the terry is slippier which is easily remedied by squirting a bit of water on it. Really comfortable and it has held up well. It's available on Amazon.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Gaiam Sol dry mat, extra long and wide mat. I’m only 5,7” but I like to lengthen out and love the extra inches, It’s very grippy and absorbent (I don’t like the feeling of a towel under my feet during practice) and not as expensive as the others. Gaiam has sales occasionally.

I can also throw it in a washing machine (granted, it s a “bumpy ride” and makes a lot of racket) with some white vinegar, and hang it on the deck to dry, and it’s good as new again. I did get a defective mat one time and emailed Gaiam. They asked me the serial number printed on the back and sent me a replacement, no questions asked.

I take about forty mat classes a month. I keep two in rotation for hot, and a separate one for the occasional unheated class. I’ve had them for a couple of years, and they all three show very little wear.

I had a Manduka. I walk to all my classes. It weighed a freaking ton, and was slippery as glass, even though I tried rubbing it with salt several times. After a week or two of aggravation (I realllly tried to love that thing) I gave it to my daughter, who is an instructor. She loves it. I couldn’t stand the thing.